Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #1

Fan

So had my def header replaced for the second time and they found my lines to be crossed. The flipped them around and it changed my temp gauge readings. It used to go up to about 210 and then the fan would kick on and run till it cooled.to around 170. Now my gauge stays around 190 and the fan runs constantly and will cut off for about 3 to 10 seconds and turn right back on. Has anyone else had the issue? I traveled for 3 hours and out of that it probably ran 2 hours 50 minutes.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
Drv

I would say you need to reach out to FCCC, as what you are describing does not sound like "normal" after DEF Head replacement. The behavior of your fan prior to replacement was and is consistent with how my unit acted before and after DEF Head replacement.
I had to have mine changed out due to total failure this past July.
Im assuming nothing dramatically changed in your overall engine load, speed and ambient temps were similar pre and post DEF Head replacement?
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
So had my def header replaced for the second time and they found my lines to be crossed. The flipped them around and it changed my temp gauge readings. It used to go up to about 210 and then the fan would kick on and run till it cooled.to around 170. Now my gauge stays around 190 and the fan runs constantly and will cut off for about 3 to 10 seconds and turn right back on. Has anyone else had the issue? I traveled for 3 hours and out of that it probably ran 2 hours 50 minutes.
Has any work been done on the chassis A/C recently?
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #4

No change in fan operation after def head replacement. Where were you traveling to and was there even the slightest change in elevation?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Yes they recharged the ac while at the freightliner dealer. Also it was all flat land as I was traveling down the Ohio and Indiana trek.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv View Post
I would say you need to reach out to FCCC, as what you are describing does not sound like "normal" after DEF Head replacement. The behavior of your fan prior to replacement was and is consistent with how my unit acted before and after DEF Head replacement.
I had to have mine changed out due to total failure this past July.
Im assuming nothing dramatically changed in your overall engine load, speed and ambient temps were similar pre and post DEF Head replacement?
No nothing change except from when it went into the shop and came out.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
Yes they recharged the ac while at the freightliner dealer. Also it was all flat land as I was traveling down the Ohio and Indiana trek.
Sounds like they overcharged the A/C.
What turns the fan on is a refrigerant pressure switch.
When enough heat builds up in the condenser and refrigerant pressure rises the fan comes on to remove the heat. If the system is overcharged it will have very high head pressure and the fan will run all the time.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
Sounds like they overcharged the A/C.
What turns the fan on is a refrigerant pressure switch.
When enough heat builds up in the condenser and refrigerant pressure rises the fan comes on to remove the heat. If the system is overcharged it will have very high head pressure.
** Good explanation!!!! ** Do you have (can you share) a schematic / wiring diagram that shows where that pressure switch is in the liquid line?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
** Good explanation!!!! ** Do you have (can you share) a schematic / wiring diagram that shows where that pressure switch is in the liquid line?
I think it’s the switch on the left in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
14CC18B1-09C6-42E8-93CE-0480957A142E.jpg   Fan Switch.jpg  
Old 09-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #10

Yes, it is the switch on the left. When you first start the engine with the air conditioner off you can unplug the switch and the fan will come on. Once the switch is Plug back in there is a slight delay before the fan will shut off. This switch opens on a rise in pressure to turn the fan on so if you ever had a broken wire or an failed open switch your fan would then run constantly.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #11

Parasitic draw chassis battery from jensen radio Grayhawk 29mv 2016

So I have an on going parasitic draw on my chassis battery. I think I narrowed it down to the radio fuse , drivers side fuse box by the emergency brake. I pulled the fuse and the chassis battery maintained 12.6 to 12.7 Volts for 24 hours. Jensen radio with cameras. 2016 E450. Any thoughts out there.

Chuck
Chuck R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
Yes, it is the switch on the left. When you first start the engine with the air conditioner off you can unplug the switch and the fan will come on. Once the switch is Plug back in there is a slight delay before the fan will shut off. This switch opens on a rise in pressure to turn the fan on so if you ever had a broken wire or an failed open switch your fan would then run constantly.
I did not pull the switch connector, but did see that the engine fan kicks in at different cycles with the AC on "vs" off.

Ambient air during this test was 101F (today)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote