Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Is there a way to cut down the road noise in the cab?

We recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Seneca 37fs and we can't hold a conversation while driving it is so loud. Is there any way to reduce the cab noise?
CatheyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

Not on a Seneca, but I insulated the "doghouse" with Thermotec. I also added some to the floorboards. It helped, but it's still somewhat loud.

In my rig, I made a real effort to isolate exactly where most of the sound was coming from, and I think it's just to the rear of the cab doors. There's a flat part there that seems to generate a lot of noise.

So, with that information, my next two mods in that department are to put adhesive Thermotec on the insides of the doors (probably will replace the speakers in the doors as well since I'll have the panels off, and better speakers are relatively cheap), as well as remove the wooden trim panels on the inside of my rig where the cab meets the house and see if I can insulate more in there.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

It would help if you defined the noise a little better. Is it engine noise, wind noise, whistling noise etc.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

We have a 2018 Seneca 37TS and although louder than my F-150, we converse in a normal speaking level. What noise are you referring to?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

Our 2015 36FK has never prevented us from having a conversation while running 75 down the interstate... I am curious what noise you are referring to.

Bad wheel bearing? Open exhaust? Can you give us more to go on?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Our 2015 36FK has never prevented us from having a conversation while running 75 down the interstate... I am curious what noise you are referring to.

Bad wheel bearing? Open exhaust? Can you give us more to go on?
I would call it engine noise and tires on the pavement noise.
CatheyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Like Slopoke, we can carry on a conversation while hiway driving. Tire noise can vary greatly depending on the brand of tire, rubber composition and tire pressure. The engine noise is going to be louder than any gasoline engine you have driven so it could be just you getting use to driving a front end diesel TRUCK
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatheyMartin View Post
We recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Seneca 37fs and we can't hold a conversation while driving it is so loud. Is there any way to reduce the cab noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Like Slopoke, we can carry on a conversation while hiway driving. Tire noise can vary greatly depending on the brand of tire, rubber composition and tire pressure. The engine noise is going to be louder than any gasoline engine you have driven so it could be just you getting use to driving a front end diesel TRUCK
Like Oma/opa mentioned, noise varies greatly with different vehicles.
Just out of curiosity, are you comparing conversations in the Seneca with other RVs or passenger cars?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

Search and you will find a fix for wind noise from the mirror mounting bolt recesses that whistle like blowing over a Coke bottle. That one is simple with plastic plugs or Gorilla tape. My 2014 had the shift cable noise in overdrive that was fixed by Freightliner with a service bulletin. The noise when the engine fan kicks in is a speech-stopper depending on the RPM and gear.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
Search and you will find a fix for wind noise from the mirror mounting bolt recesses that whistle like blowing over a Coke bottle. That one is simple with plastic plugs or Gorilla tape. My 2014 had the shift cable noise in overdrive that was fixed by Freightliner with a service bulletin. The noise when the engine fan kicks in is a speech-stopper depending on the RPM and gear.
X2 on the wind noise but easily corrected. I think we speak a little louder when on a hill and definitely when the fan runs but otherwise is not a problem.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
X2 on the wind noise but easily corrected. I think we speak a little louder when on a hill and definitely when the fan runs but otherwise is not a problem.
Yeah, no talking when the fan is on. 😂
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Yeah, no talking when the fan is on. 😂
I wonder... maybe the fan is stuck ON all the time? and the compressor?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #13

Just purchased a 2018 Seneca 37FS, and the wind noise is louder than I would have expected. Especially when I get above 65 mph. Speakers are not that good, and have to crank them up to hear anything.
Was wondering what could be placed around the door jabs to maybe quiet it a bit?
Thanks,
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

If your build is similar to the Melbourne check under the transition from cab to the coach. There wasn't much to separate the cab from ground and driveshaft noise. Here is the thread with pictures of what I am describing.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ise-45703.html
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If your build is similar to the Melbourne check under the transition from cab to the coach. There wasn't much to separate the cab from ground and driveshaft noise. Here is the thread with pictures of what I am describing.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ise-45703.html
This is pretty much what I'm thinking on my rig. That transition between the cab and the house probably doesn't have ANY insulation, all the way around.

The area I was going to focus on first was the wood panels just behind the seats that cover the "side" transition between the cab and the coach. I saw some other pics of that area where someone was working on some electrical issues, and there isn't much there as far as insulation goes. On the outside, that area is flat against the wind during travel too, so I'm sure it generates a lot of sound.

Now, reading your thread, I have another area to examine...

Again, my rig is a Class C on the E-450 chassis (OP is talking about a Seneca), but I think a lot of the strategies are similar on killing sound in these monsters.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyeng View Post
Just purchased a 2018 Seneca 37FS, and the wind noise is louder than I would have expected. Especially when I get above 65 mph. Speakers are not that good, and have to crank them up to hear anything.
Was wondering what could be placed around the door jabs to maybe quiet it a bit?
Thanks,
If you think the cab door or doors are misaligned you might try to adjust it. Freightliner Service Manual section detailing these adjustments is attached.

If you have not covered the outside mirrors upper bracket holes you should try that. Before I covered mine the faster I went the louder the whistle. I used black Gorilla duct tape and it is still on there several years out!

And regarding the stock in-dash speakers, several of us have changed ours out. I had one speaker that had blown so I swapped mine for some Alpine units. Much better, and they complement the Alpine powered subwoofer I installed under the passenger seat. Now I can cruise listening to my Sirius and it sounds pretty good!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner Door Adjustment (1).pdf (71.0 KB, 21 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyeng View Post
Thanks,
I have a 2019 37fs and my experience is exactly the same. Although I already tried covering the mirror mounts with tape to see if it would quiet the whistling noise but it did not make a difference so I will try the cab door adjustment posted by Robbyr
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #18

GeorgeM, thanks for the feedback. The 37FS is a great coach and the wife and I enjoy it greatly. I’ll try the door adjustments as well. Additionally will be swapping the coach out for theater recliners. Couch is not comfortable.
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #19

Noise

Dealer put weatherstripping around the door fram in our Redhawk 26 XD and what a difference that made! If you don’t have it, try that..
Old 12-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Dealer put weatherstripping around the door fram in our Redhawk 26 XD and what a difference that made! If you don’t have it, try that..
Do you have any more details on this? Perhaps even a picture?

Weather stripping is cheap and easy to apply, so that's definitely something I would try.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV