Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

New Seneca

Well finally after looking and doing a lot of reading here on the forum we bought a new early 2018 37ts. We really were not looking to buy new but as the choice of used Seneca’s in Canada are slim and adding 36% exchange rate to the Canadian dollar made looking in the U.S. not feasible. So we ended up with a deal we were very happy with on this left over 2018 and the 37ts was the model we were looking for.
We picked the unit up on Friday and the modifications have already begun.
I had ordered and received the ExtendaFills for the the fuel tanks before we took delivery of the motorhome so they are installed. I’m in the middle of doing the water tank support frame and I really want to give a THANKS out to everyone on the forum here that contributed to posts on how to go about doing the water tank mod. Making the job much easier
One question I have,
in our 5th wheel we would keep it plugged into shore power to keep the fridge turned on for the season and keep the batteries charged, it did have a Charge Wizard. So is safe to do the same with the Seneca? Still trying to get through the manuals, but haven’t found whether there is any type of Charge Wizard or not.

If there is anything else I should be addressing before to much use please let me know.

Again thanks for all the help and information that I have picked up off the forum
ahead of our purchase.

Bruce
Bruceter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

We keep our 2015 Seneca plugged in all the time, the charge controller in the Progressive Dynamics converter is a multistage charge controller.

Welcome to the Seneca family!!!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the Seneca family. I also have a 2018 37 TS. We really like ours.

Do you have a 2018, on a M-2 chassis or a 2018.5 on the RVS2 chassis.

Feel free to ask any questions as it can be overwhelming making the transition to a MH. This is a great group with an amazing knowledge base.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

Congratulations and welcome to the family! Must be a 2018 M2 chassis since you have already added the ExtendaFill's. Yeah, things like the water tank being poorly supported and many other things you will find will leave you scratching your head but its all part of owning an RV.....we love ours!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Welcome!

We love our 2014 TS, not much on it I haven't modified!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

Hey guys thanks for the welcomes!
I joined this forum back in Sept and I think I have read just about everything you fellows have posted on the site. But I’m sure I’ll. Have plenty more questions in the future.

Yes I have an early 2018 so it’s on the M2 chassis.

Mark, I have to ask you how you are making out with the O/D lock out switch install?
This is something that I want to do as well as the transmission shift mode changed to the performance mode. I’m not having much luck trying to find a electronic push button shifter for the unit.

Looks like I need to update my forum profile!

Bruce
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #7

Welcome to the Seneca family... yes, there is a tight bunch on this forum that take great pride in our Seneca's. We all have a story to tell, a solution we have built and a mistake we have made... Its all part of the Seneca family.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #8

Mark, I have to ask you how you are making out with the O/D lock out switch install?
This is something that I want to do as well as the transmission shift mode changed to the performance mode. I’m not having much luck trying to find a electronic push button shifter for the unit.

Bruce[/QUOTE]

Hey Bruce. My Seneca as at the local Freightliner dealer right now getting the overdrive lockout installed. Should be ready in the next day or so.

As far as the economy to performance transmission reprogram, I think if I was unable to ge the reprogram I would have not kept the Seneca.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #9

Congrats they are an amazing unit. This forum is an absolute gold mine of information and help for any questions you may have.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post

Bruce
Hey Bruce. My Seneca as at the local Freightliner dealer right now getting the overdrive lockout installed. Should be ready in the next day or so.

As far as the economy to performance transmission reprogram, I think if I was unable to ge the reprogram I would have not kept the Seneca.[/QUOTE]

Mark, yes looking forward to hearing the details on the O/D switch install. We have a couple of short atving trips coming up with the Seneca and to try and get most things figured out with it. After that hoping to get it in for the O/D switch and transmission reprogrammed.
I see you have a Jeep Wrangler as well, I went through a preretirement midlife crisis a couple of years ago and bought 2017 JKU. So I’ll have to contact you and pick your brain on rigging that up for towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
Congrats they are an amazing unit. This forum is an absolute gold mine of information and help for any questions you may have.
ready2retire&drive, I believe you are the developer for the “extendafill”. Very nice work on these, easy install and I have them on before my first fuel fill so no existing paint chips!

Bruce
Old 05-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

Welcome aboard! We absolutely love our early (M2) 2018 37TS.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
I see you have a Jeep Wrangler as well, I went through a preretirement midlife crisis a couple of years ago and bought 2017 JKU.

Bruce
I have a 2015 JKU and after a bunch of research I went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar and the Currie Enterprises tow plate. Quick and easy to hook up and tow great with it. I like the Currie plate as it replaces the plastic valance under the bumper and gives you a front skid plate and tow plate all in one, very low profile. Install on the whole setup was easy to do and took about 1/2 a day. For lights I used the Cool-tech wiring kit.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/jk...r-mounting-kit

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2007-201...rness-kit.html
Attached Thumbnails
4FF31384-5024-40CC-8328-8336D2EBB3FF.jpg  

Old 05-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #13

Yup they say necessity is the mother of invention. Just had to figure out an easier fill solution then help other people save their paint also. Glad to be of help.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I have a 2015 JKU and after a bunch of research I went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar and the Currie Enterprises tow plate. Quick and easy to hook up and tow great with it. I like the Currie plate as it replaces the plastic valance under the bumper and gives you a front skid plate and tow plate all in one, very low profile. Install on the whole setup was easy to do and took about 1/2 a day. For lights I used the Cool-tech wiring kit.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/jk...r-mounting-kit

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2007-201...rness-kit.html
Very nice looking combination rig you have there, unfortunately my 2017 Billit Silver Wrangler doesn’t match up so well with my Sundial coloured Seneca LOL!

As for the Jeep towing thanks for the information, my Wrangler is a Winter Addition so it came with the AEV bumpers with a steel lower valance. Blue Ox is the only manufacturer that makes a base plate for it so have to go with that.
I have looked at the Ready Brute Elite, have you found much in the way of problems with the brake peddle cable in the set up or operation of it?
Do you have a break away system with this set up?

Again thanks for the info
Bruce
Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
I have looked at the Ready Brute Elite, have you found much in the way of problems with the brake peddle cable in the set up or operation of it?
Do you have a break away system with this set up?

Again thanks for the info
Bruce

No problem at all with the cable. Just make sure there are no sharp bends when you install the cable and it works great. Yes I also installed the break-away system with it. It worked out perfect on mine with 35's and a 2.5" lift the Currie plate combo, the towbar is perfectly level with the Seneca hitch so no drop or riser was needed.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
I see you have a Jeep Wrangler as well, I went through a preretirement midlife crisis a couple of years ago and bought 2017 JKU. So I’ll have to contact you and pick your brain on rigging that up for towing

Bruce
I went with the Demco base plate, tow bar and light kit, mostly because a friend who is a longtime motorhomer recommend it and it has a lifetime warranty. It’s easy to use and I liked the clean look of the base plate only having a socket instead of brackets. I think they all work well. The hardest part was running the wires for the light kit.

I also went with the RVI Brake 3 for the auxiliary brake. Easy to use with no installation so it easily moves from one vehicle to another.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

Mark, thanks for the information. Like I mentioned to Rustynuts I’m stuck on using a Blue Ox Base plate but they do have links to fasten to just about of the different tow bar brands. Haven’t look much at the RVI3 brake system but will check it out

One question I have and since you have the same model and year, what are you running for tire pressure in the Seneca?

Thanks
Bruce
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #18

When looking at what other people are running for tire pressure be sure you understand what they are running for weights on each axel end. Currently either configuration I run 80 psi all around. I only have axel weight not end weights so I run higher than I need to allow for differences in weights on each end. If you are in an area that has someone that can weigh each end make the effort to get that done. Fill the unit up as you expect to use it. If I use my current weight and cut that in half I could run 70psi, however I know I am not balanced side to side so I run higher pressure.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

This is what I use:
Attached Thumbnails
TirepressureChartImage.JPG  

Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #20

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote