Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

New Seneca with no ladder and no digital antenna

I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the newer Senecas that no longer have a rear ladder and do not have the digital antenna for watching free tv,which by the way works nice in my Greyhawk.The new senecas have the wineguard and i believe you have to purchase componants and pay for the service.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thankyou,Marty
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the newer Senecas that no longer have a rear ladder and do not have the digital antenna for watching free tv,which by the way works nice in my Greyhawk.The new senecas have the wineguard and i believe you have to purchase componants and pay for the service.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thankyou,Marty
I can't comment on the TV reception issue, but I do have a Seneca with a ladder. Which I don't use!

When home I have I have a large "Little Giant" multipurpose ladder tall enough for me to access the roof far more easily than the (flimsy) installed one. Rock steady even at that height. On the road, I carry a 15.5' telescoping straight ladder which is also more sturdy than the installed one. Got it from Camping World.

I am a big boy and don't want to mess up what I ladder I have, or fall if it breaks!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

My 2018 Seneca does not have a ladder either. I carry a folding ladder that can be a little less than a 6' A frame or straight ladder just tall enough to get me on the roof. It fits in a compartment and was about $100 at Home Depot. Works well for me. I have actually used the A frame much more than the straight roof ladder.

My antenna gets local channels with the antenna booster on.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

I would hate to be without the ladder on my 2013 36FK. I use it constantly, as I have lived fulltime in the Seneca for more than 2 1/2 Years. I boondock most of the time and have a large solar setup. I tilt my panels in the winter and keep them clean. Plus I like to maintain my roof in general. I also carry one of the telescoping ladders, but the one on the RV is WAY more sturdy than that thing. Guess they just don’t want people up there, but I spend more time keeping the roof maintained that the rest of the rig. Don’t ever want to deal with water intrusion issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fulltime RVer
KuhlmanaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Depends on use.

I have watched Kurts videos (very good and helpful) and since he increases his solar output by about 20% with tilting his panels he is up there a lot more than most of us. I was very nervous when I tried to use the ladder that came with an earlier Seneca we looked to purchase.

I do like to get up on our roof often, and since we are away from home working with the Seneca, a portable latter was the way to go. We purchased the Xtend & Climb 785P Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type I Professional Series, 15.5-Foot and feel it works well. There is an gel thing you can buy for the top to protect the RV.

Cannot speak for the antenna either, but with unlimited data on phones these days, you can stream almost anything. That being said, we did go with the sat dish just in case we wanted direct TV.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Digital antenna

My 2016 has the antenna but the TV does not have a digital tuner so it is not much use except for satellite

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #7

While it is easy to think Jayco is saving $$$ by ditching the ladder and OTA antenna (which they are), me thinks there is waning interest in those features by today's buyers. Why add stuff nobody is really interested in having? We don't climb our ladder because it's not worth the safety risk but we do watch some antenna TV which provides outstanding clarity. But streaming over wifi or 4G is the new norm apparently.

Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
MD3

I wish mine had a ladder.
Also wish it had a way to read the LPG inside the coach too....

We have DirecTv at home so it was a no brained to add another receiver on the home plan and use it in the coach.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #9

Use my ladder

Couldn't imagine being without my ladder. Seems I'm always up on the roof cleaning or repairing something.

As for the antenna, I've switched to the flat panel digital myself. Works well. Wish I had the RAZAR auto searching antenna.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #10

Back-end looks much cleaner w/o the ladder. Like MarkS, I carry a collapsible which works well.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #11

We use the body mounted ladder to get to the roof and also to carry a folding ladder, that we use for lots of things, including the cleaning of the upper part of the coach. The ladder is also the bracket we use for the laundry rack.

As far as the local TV antenna, we have used it, but we are almost always on satellite or cable at a campground. So I guess we are one of the people that would fall into the category that it is not needed. However, I sure do think the roof part of the antenna would be far easier to install during construction of the Seneca, than as an after market item.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #12

You all do realize that you will have warranty issues if you don’t get up on the roof and inspect the caulking every 6 months according to the manual!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #13

We were told by Jayco, during our factory tour, that they removed the ladders for liability reasons. He did tell me that the backing is still installed if you want to add a ladder.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #14

Thanks all for your input.Ive inquired with the selling dealership on the ladder,Jayco will not put one on when they build,neither will the selling dealership because of liability issues in case the ladder malfunctions ????The home depot 15 footer seems to be the answer.It would be nice if the wineguard would let you see local programing when not hooked up to cable or wifi....
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
You all do realize that you will have warranty issues if you don’t get up on the roof and inspect the caulking every 6 months according to the manual!

Of course, but not by me! My shop gives me free inspections because of other work I've given them with my current and former rigs. No way am I going to risk injury getting up on the roof myself. Simply not worth it.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post

That's why I have my big Little Giant!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #17
MD3

Anyone have a link to the ladder they are using and where do you carry/store it ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #18

Got mine here Idealchoiceproduct 12.5FT Aluminium Telescopic Telescoping Ladder Extension Steps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTBYBT4..._qxUtAbRVC3RHM

Easily stores in any basement compartment.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #19

This one works well for me. Very versatile. $99 at Home Depot and fits in smaller left side compartments. I also have the telescopic ladder but I like that this can be a free standing A-frame to access awning and such without leaning on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0494.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuhlmanaZ View Post
I would hate to be without the ladder on my 2013 36FK. I use it constantly, as I have lived fulltime in the Seneca for more than 2 1/2 Years. I boondock most of the time and have a large solar setup. I tilt my panels in the winter and keep them clean. Plus I like to maintain my roof in general. I also carry one of the telescoping ladders, but the one on the RV is WAY more sturdy than that thing. Guess they just don’t want people up there, but I spend more time keeping the roof maintained that the rest of the rig. Don’t ever want to deal with water intrusion issues.

I am with you on this... We use the rear ladder quite often, and don't have any solar. We have had to go up there to clear debris off the slide out canopy, fix the awning and perform maintenance (think the OTA antenna every 6mo and roof inspection) Most importantly, cleaning off the rear camera that is watching our trailer following us down the road. The camera needs cleaning as often as your side mirrors do!

We have a secondary ladder, but it is far more convenient to use the one that is "always set up and ready"

The only down side to the ladder - is for those who tow trailers as it reduces how tight you can turn/back up on that side. I have come close, but have not hit it yet - yet is the part I worry about the most.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote