Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The photos of 2019 for sale show the 3000 mh trans. As I understand it they would have to change the engine as well as the 2500 can not handle 360 hp.

It is entirely possible that they will be trying to reduce the oem equipment costs as the ceo of Thor said the way that they are going to offset the tariffs is to reduce the level of luxuries across their product line.

On Cramer mad money the ceo discussed removing features from their higher end product lines.
I grabbed this off the Allison website, apparently the 2500 is not capable of handling the 340HP that the older ISB was tuned for either.

Gives me pause for a moment, since we are towing at maximum GCWR, should we be thinking of aftermarket Trans cooling / stuff to help it in heavy load conditions?
Attached Thumbnails
Allison RV.PNG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The photos of 2019 for sale show the 3000 mh trans. As I understand it they would have to change the engine as well as the 2500 can not handle 360 hp.
Did they change it again??? here is the specifications on their site tonight...
Attached Thumbnails
Capture2019Seneca.PNG  

Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #23

Well I have signed up for Daimler DTNA Connect and was hoping to settle this Allison debate by running a serial number off a build sheet of an advertised 2019 Seneca but I am not able to run any serial number but one registered to me. Anyway, you can go sign up with DTNA and you can get ALL of the information about your chassis, complete specs on all major component listing complete with serial numbers, warranty info, manuals, in service date and recalls. You can also access wiring diagrams and parts manuals. Free to sign up!

https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...ationForm.html

Also if anybody here with a 2019 can run their transmission serial number (located on sticker on visor) then they could post what trans it is.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/p...y-transmission

Personally I think it is a misprint on Jaycos site but the only way is for somebody with a 2019 to either visually check their trans, sign up for DTNA and look it up or call jayco

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I grabbed this off the Allison website, apparently the 2500 is not capable of handling the 340HP that the older ISB was tuned for either.

Gives me pause for a moment, since we are towing at maximum GCWR, should we be thinking of aftermarket Trans cooling / stuff to help it in heavy load conditions?

I wonder if the 340 hp is a gross hp but what is actually delivered to the transmission is netted down. Perhaps the standard engine equipment oil pumps, water pumps, alternator etc reduce the actual to a level at the transmission that is acceptable and in range?

I would agree with rustynuts that the information on the jayco site is most likely incorrect.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #25

Quote:

What temperature is your transmission fluid running? According to my ScanGauge I am usually about 170s and up in the 190s on long climbs and in hot weather. I am thinking if you are below 200 you should be safe without another cooler. Thoughts?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomden2 View Post
I am in the process of negotiating between a used 2016 37HJ in Texas, and a new 2018 37HJ in Salt Lake. The new one is advertised as "clearance" for $160k, but after much back and forth, is now at $155k. Of course this is before tax and add-ons, and is $160k out the door. Since this is a CW dealer I hope all that is being said is true. There are many CW dealers across the states that are now advertising the $159,599 price.

Question: Are the new 2018's so much better than a 2016's that it is worth the dealer hassel, back and forth to the RV repair to work out the bugs, and increased cost?
We live a few miles away from this dealership... it is where we bought our 2015 Seneca. Jeff Anderson was our salesman - he was the best of the entire bunch of people there... (read some of my other comments on JOF)

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
What temperature is your transmission fluid running? According to my ScanGauge I am usually about 170s and up in the 190s on long climbs and in hot weather. I am thinking if you are below 200 you should be safe without another cooler. Thoughts?
I am seeing the same range 170-190 pulling a 9600lb trailer, 6% grade around 90 degrees. Mine has a pretty good sized cooler in the lower bumper opening.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Well I have signed up for Daimler DTNA Connect and was hoping to settle this Allison debate by running a serial number off a build sheet of an advertised 2019 Seneca but I am not able to run any serial number but one registered to me. Anyway, you can go sign up with DTNA and you can get ALL of the information about your chassis, complete specs on all major component listing complete with serial numbers, warranty info, manuals, in service date and recalls. You can also access wiring diagrams and parts manuals. Free to sign up!

https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...ationForm.html

Also if anybody here with a 2019 can run their transmission serial number (located on sticker on visor) then they could post what trans it is.

My Transmission

Personally I think it is a misprint on Jaycos site but the only way is for somebody with a 2019 to either visually check their trans, sign up for DTNA and look it up or call jayco
I had done this too... After 6 months of "Inactivity"(meaning you have not logged on to the DTNA website) your account is dropped and no longer valid. I don't know what will happen to that old account... since my VIN is attached to it - wish me luck!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Mark, That is a ??? that I can't answer - since I never invested in the ScanGauge!

I am having a tough time convincing Stacy that she needs to monitor "another device" while we are rolling hard down the road. She has the TPMS down now... that includes the trailer tires too... along with the navigation, PFJ fuel stop tracking, reading / answering the constant text messages from all over the world... I am afraid that she will go postal on me if I add another bunch of buttons to push!!

The ScanGauge will be another new adventure for the co-pilot as I need every eye I have on the next Hairpin curve ahead!!!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #30

I have my scangauge and tpms monitor mounted in the cubby above the steering wheel, works great and is just a glance up.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I have my scangauge and tpms monitor mounted in the cubby above the steering wheel, works great and is just a glance up.
Getting it, installing it is not the issue...

Discipline of the driver to eliminate distractions is the issue... I work daily in front of three monitors with all kinds of distractions while leading an IT staff that pays hundreds of thousands of people. I know MY limitations and scrolling thru the scan-gauge while on a 10% grade at 50MPH can't be the next one.

It has to be mounted/installed/operated so that I have no possible means of reaching it while underway is the issue. If it can write to a log-file that can be captured after the vehicle is stopped - would make that possible.

Once you have lost someone you know to distracted driving... it changes the way you view things.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Getting it, installing it is not the issue...

Discipline of the driver to eliminate distractions is the issue... I work daily in front of three monitors with all kinds of distractions while leading an IT staff that pays hundreds of thousands of people. I know MY limitations and scrolling thru the scan-gauge while on a 10% downhill grade at 50MPH can't be the next one.

It has to be mounted/installed/operated so that I have no possible means of reaching it while underway is the issue. If it can write to a log-file that can be captured after the vehicle is stopped - would make that possible.

Once you have lost someone you know to distracted driving... it changes the way you view things.
For the gauges setup you can select 4 gauges on the display at once. I have water temp, Trans temp, oil pressure and average fuel. Only time I touch it is on fuel ups to enter the gallons. I just like real time numbers from the ECU and not just idiot gauges that never move. The added benefit is that can read engine codes and clear them.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:32 AM   #33

Great info Rustynuts! Any chance you could post pic of your setup with the gauges?

2020 37K Seneca
2016 31FS Greyhawk (sold)
Retired USAF
Eric&DianeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #34
Site Team

I really enjoy reading each of your discussions and logical reasoning. It's refreshing.

While traveling, we also have the discussion about who watches what while traveling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&DianeN View Post
Great info Rustynuts! Any chance you could post pic of your setup with the gauges?
Here is a pic of it. The cubby is removable, it’s just got little hook tabs on each side. I drilled a hole out the back for the scangauge cord and the scangauge is attached to the roof of the cubby with Velcro. The TPMS is just mounted using the mount that came with it but I took it apart and just screwed it inside the cubby on the right side and the TPMS monitor just slides down on the mount. Works great and is just a glance up to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
76DA79E1-65F2-4D7D-877A-A9D3D3E633C1.jpg   9569A56E-B104-432E-AA0A-6DCE35FB355E.jpg  

Old 07-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #36

Ask this question. A new 2017 Seneca may only come with a 30 day warranty. After two years Jayco cuts it back. We bought a 2017 last November that sat on the dealers lot for over a year. Paid 154,000 or about 36 percent off.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #37
JL3

Purchased new 2016 Seneca 37FS in March of 2017. MSRP was $238,000. Purchased for $144,000 . 2016 model has full air brakes, air/heated front seats. M2-106 chassis has been great. Via scan guage, avg 10.9 highway ( I don't tow ).
JL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #38

‘14 Seneca owner

We purchased our ‘14 Seneca 37FS new in June of 15. We paid $155,000. It looks like around $160,000 is still a competitive price for the outgoing model. They are building the ‘19’s now so you can be very aggressive with a 17!

I would look at the new chassis before you decide though. Freightliner built a new one custom for Supper C’s. It has more power and a lot more storage. That being said the 2017 is a great model as well. They put some strange things in the 2016 that they fixed in the 2017. They also have some great colors that started in 2017! The Seneca is a great RV that won’t let you down!!!
Roadtrippinyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrippinyorks View Post
They put some strange things in the 2016 that they fixed in the 2017.!!!
Curious to read what you think is strange about the 2016 models.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #40

Smile new owner

Ended up purchasing a used 2017 37TS with 9000 miles. Overall its in great condition and drove it back to Ohio from Florida
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote