Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Seneca - Power Cable Reel

I don’t use the reel much over my concerns that it seems simply underpowered for the job. Also don’t know how reliable or safe the electrical connector is at the hub/base of the reel. Anyone else feel this way? Is it straightforward to remove and replace with a 50A female outlet?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
I don’t use the reel much over my concerns that it seems simply underpowered for the job. Also don’t know how reliable or safe the electrical connector is at the hub/base of the reel. Anyone else feel this way? Is it straightforward to remove and replace with a 50A female outlet?
My reel works great, never had any issues. I wonder if yours may have been "weak" from the beginning or if Jayco put a less powerful unit in newer units.

I did do some "rewiring" involving my reel to accomodate my Hughes Autoformer which sits in a tray I built behind the cord reel. I removed the wiring from the reel output leading to the transfer switch and installed it in a new junction box where a new short male 50-amp pigtail is attached. Then from my reel's original output connection I ran a section of new wire to another new junction box which incorporates a 50-amp female receptacle. My Autoformer plugs into the new reel outlet receptacle, then the new male pigtail plugs into the Autoformer feeding the coach. If the Autoformer dies, I can just remove it and plug the coach connection directly into the reel outlet. Likewise, if the reel fails I can just use my 50-amp extension cord I carry and the female end can connect directly to the Autoformer male plug or the coach pigtail.

I have seen many units with removeable 50-amp cords, but aren't the coach end receptacles recessed male prongs to connect to a female connection on the cord end? Otherwise you would have exposed hot ends on the cord if the campground post end was plugged in. I'm certain that's not what you intended, I think Line = Female, Load = Male is the safest plan!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

4 years and may in/outs on our reel and never an issue. It can sound slightly labored according to the surface the cord is resting on as it's retracted. Grass=easy, asphalt=less so. Stretch the cable perpendicular to the coach to ease the retrieval. Way easier than wrangling a 50 foot 50 amp extension cord.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

It's not designed to pull the cord, only wind it up. You should help feed the cord by pulling it close to the rig.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

For us... 2+ years of frequent use... No issues so far, as long as the chassis battery breaker is latched.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Alright, thanks all for sharing your positive experiences with the reel. This is our first rig with this fancy feature and wasn’t sure if it was an item Jayco scrimped on and we should be extra careful with. I’ll resume reeling the power in and out on our next trip.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have seen many units with removeable 50-amp cords, but aren't the coach end receptacles recessed male prongs to connect to a female connection on the cord end? Otherwise you would have exposed hot ends on the cord if the campground post end was plugged in. I'm certain that's not what you intended, I think Line = Female, Load = Male is the safest plan!
Yes, if I replaced the reel I would replace the reel with a round yellow marine male connector (think they are known as ‘marinco’ connectors) and plug the cable into that.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #8

We had a warranty covered problem when the 12 volt winding winch on the cable reel stopped working. Nothing to do with AC power. It was replaced and seems to be working fine. I had a question, that it was giving me problems, and wired around it. That removed that possibility from my "Gremlin" scenerio. Our reel works very well and you can get use to the convienience of not having to lift the heavy 50 amp cord. I was originally under the assumption to always pull all the cord off the reel before plugging in, but have recently changed to only pulling out what I need and constantly change the location where the brushes rub on the reel.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #9

Quote:

You might want to have someone check it. I have a Pinnacle and mine did not seem to have enough power since new. Dealer checked and said it was bad.

Just got new one installed Tuesday, only used once so far but big improvement.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Have you torn in to it? I didn't have much confidence until I got in to the connections. Feel pretty comfortable now. Ours looks pretty beefy to me. I have a lot more confidence, since I know how it is connected and can be wired around.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
only pulling out what I need and constantly change the location where the brushes rub on the reel.
How are you constantly changing the brush contacts location?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
How are you constantly changing the brush contacts location?
The brushes rub against the side of the reel and if the cord is not always pulled out to the same spot, the brushes would make contact at different spots around the reel. The only time the brushes would always be in the same place is if the cord always goes to the exactly the same spot by always being pulled all the way out. At least that is the theory I'm using until told I'm wrong. That is sometimes highly probable.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 01-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #13

Electric reel winder

I know pushing the switch winds up the cable but to unwind the cable is a work in progress. Its like working against the winder and you really need to pull the cable out with a lot of strength. Is that normal or should the cable unwind easly
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
I know pushing the switch winds up the cable but to unwind the cable is a work in progress. Its like working against the winder and you really need to pull the cable out with a lot of strength. Is that normal or should the cable unwind easly
Mine also takes a bit of force to unwind, has since I first got it. But it winds up very well, I guess it's the nature of the beast!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote