Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #21
ry7

Starlink RV camping & home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg45 View Post
They currently won’t let you take the home unit on the road and you can’t use the RV unit at home. The guy I spoke with at Starlink said they are working on changing that. Nice thing about the RV unit is you can pause it when you aren’t on the road. I can’t get a home unit for about 6 months but maybe that’s just Flagstaff.
I’m using the Starlink RV unit at home & camping.
ry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #22

Coincidentally, they just launched 53 more StarLink satellites just yesterday. Sounds like the service is expanding rapidly, though the article didn’t say which part of the world these new ones would service. But good to see.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/1...live-coverage/
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #23
ry7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Lol, It should be North Texas. I will check that when I am back on my desktop computer.
How do you setup the satellite dish? Do you use the provided stand?
ry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry7 View Post
How do you setup the satellite dish? Do you use the provided stand?
We are... Just drop it on the north side of our rig (Since it wants to view the northern sky) and power it up. It does the rest.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourkids&abeagle View Post
Coincidentally, they just launched 53 more StarLink satellites just yesterday. Sounds like the service is expanding rapidly, though the article didn’t say which part of the world these new ones would service. But good to see.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/1...live-coverage/

Since these are low earth orbit satellites, they are global. They provide service to anyone within their coverage area as they circle the globe. They basically add to the overall network capacity once they get into their final orbital plane. Starlink supposedly hit continuous global coverage late last year. Now they are adding capacity, with a goal of about 12000 satellites, to provide uninterrupted global access to anyone who wants to pay for it.

Every launch at this point *should* open up more areas and get more people off the waitlist. I think the major bottleneck now is the ground stations and their capacities. Once Starlink 2.0 has enough satellites in orbit with the laser connects, the ground stations will stop being the bottleneck.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:38 AM   #26

Ordered Starlink RV yesterday

Up in Williams AZ and a lady at a shop said they are having great luck with it up here.
My Verizon 5G is sporadic at best, busy times it sucks, others it's fine

Now the Mikrotik dish does work well for my friend that works from home/mobile, uoad speed is non existent but so far never an issue, just does zoom call on her phone

So I'll report back when I get everything and test it in Phx
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:27 AM   #27

I have read that the service can be paused. Does this mean you can pause and reactivate for a week long trip, or can you only pause for a month at a time? I don't mind the initial setup fee, it is just the service fee that would get expensive as we only camp 4-5 weeks throughout the year.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #28

AFAIK - no service fee to pause. You pause for "month at a time". Whether that's calendar month or billing cycle month, I don't know -- yet. Will find out.

We took Starlink RV around yesterday for a test run in the boonies. Worked amazingly well. Setup to online is about 5 minutes. Worst speeds we saw were 60Mbps down. We took the van, not the RV, for the test. Router looks like it takes less than 100 watts. So a small inverter worked fine for us.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #29

This is from the Starlink FAQ showing the difference between the plans. The equipment is all the same between them. With the RV plan, it can be turn off and on but even if it is only for a week, you are billed for one months worth of service. I got the residential one and use it at home and just turn on portability when we use it while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
14183ECA-AD3B-4568-BCDF-6B8A82ED5A54.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:30 PM   #30

What I read is that you have to be paused for a complete billing cycle, no partial billing cycles count. Any usage during a billing cycle will cost you the entire month's charges. So if you are even one day into a billing cycle and choose to pause, and say a billing cycle is 30 days, then you could be paused for 88 days, nearly 3 months and only receive one month of paused no charge usage.

Not that it matters for me, I use the service at home as well and have no plans to pause the service.

~CA
Old 06-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #31

Looks great. Where did you get the pole? I just got my Starling and love it so far. I can't wait to call Verizon to tell them where to put their junk hot spot and cut my bill in half. Elon needs to get in the phone business!🤠🎉
Donzidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:31 PM   #32

Can someone share what kind of speeds y'all are getting?
I am thinking of dropping my home service and just getting the RV starlink but would like to see how fast it is and if you get a bunch of dropped connections?
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #33

SpaceX is launching 60 satellites per launch per Falcon 9. It's estimated to require thousands of more satellites to complete the entire system. At $70 million per launch, it's gonna be more than $100 per month in the future. Starlink is more for expanded service than it is speed. So for now, 5G is faster, more reliable and more attainable. Like I said....for now.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
I am thinking of dropping my home service and just getting the RV starlink but would like to see how fast it is and if you get a bunch of dropped connections?
It's honestly where you are that dictates the speed

Look at Starlink map, shows service, none,coming soon... Then see where u are traveling too

You also have 30 days to return it....

I ordered mine Saturday and got the shipping confirmation today, landing Wednesday,so I'll be testing it in a No See ice area, PHX AZ, this week

We shall see
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #35

Quote:
At home - where my cell is full, I get between 40Mbps and 130Mbps down. But, since this is not to replace my home ISP, I've only turned it on a handful of times.

In the three "boonie" places I've tried, it was 40-60 Mbps down. Another but, I only had it online for 5 or 10 minutes. It seems like it'll speed up a bit more after it settles in. Could be more perception than reality.

Regardless, 40Mbps is better than - zero.

In about 30 mins, we're going to pack it up again and drive to Rocky Mountain National Park. RMNP is close enough that we can zip over and do some speed tests.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #36

The pole

Where did you get that pole?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220617-200402.jpg  
Donzidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Router looks like it takes less than 100 watts. So a small inverter worked fine for us.
If you turn off the "Snow-Melt Feature" it will lower the power consumption. Ours has been running on a Kilowatt meter and it averages about 30w at idle and jumps up/down to about 45w when processing larger uploads.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
In about 30 mins, we're going to pack it up again and drive to Rocky Mountain National Park. RMNP is close enough that we can zip over and do some speed tests.
We didn't make it all the way up to Trailridge; late start and it's still pretty cold up there. But we pulled it out at Horseshoe Canyon.

The declination off vertical is still pretty mild. I was worried about having a mountain in the way, but it wasn't an issue.

Setup was less than 5 mins, and downloads were 65Mbps. More than enough for us! Pings were 32-122ms.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #39

Quote:
I am getting 75 down today and it has never dropped in the 3 months I have had mine running. I only have starlink now and use it for everything.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #40

Location matters for sure, I am near DFW and with the Starlink for RV's I am de-prioritized. With that, I have never got below ~5Mbps but keep in mind when you do a speed test that you also need to add to the results other usage, so when I got to 5Mbps my daughter was streaming NetFlix and I was streaming Youtube's, so the actual speed was higher. Also, you really only need ~5Mbps for Netflix (minimum), in any case this is rare and as advertised by StarLink should only occur at periods of high usage such as the time between 5p and 11p. Even then the slow times only lasted a few minutes then back up to 30~40 (during these times) and usually 50~100 most other times. I have received upwards of 150 Mbps during morning times and the middle of the day. ~CA

BTW, one way to know the speed other than a speed test is to look at the "statistics" on the starlink app, when I got the ~5Mbps speed test, the statistics were showing around ~15Mbps which I believe to be the video streaming was causing the difference between the speed test and the statistics. To get an accurate speed test, no other usage at the time of the test should be occurring (or just realize that your speed test results are lower due to other usage).