Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 AM   #1

2014 JayFlight 28BHBE - Update

It's been a "long" while since I dropped by the site, but wanted to come in and provide an update on my 2014 JayFlight BHBE.

We are no stationary campers, we traveler with it, visit places, discover areas.

In 7 years, we racked up over 24,000km (15k miles) with it. Might not be as much as others, but we have to admit that we are pretty happy with the travel trailer we bought.

In all those years we've since places, we did long trips and never she let us down. I've actually only had 3 "small" incident on it that required repairs.

1- The LED strip below the awning stopped working after the second outting we did with it. Got it replaced under warranty but within a year it stopped lighting up again aside from about a 1 ft section at the front of the TT near the main door. We didn,t get it fixed because it actually served better purpose this way, the LED strip was way too bright and now it lights up nice the entry door when we need to have some light!

2- On one of our long trips, we had the rear driver side tire start to show signs of excessive wear on the inside. By the time we got to destination, I had no more thread on the inside, so I replaced that tire. I'm still after 7 years and that mileage on my original TowMax tires, and they are only at half wear. But I won't be taking any chances, I'll be changing them next year, most likely going to GoodYear Endurance (tbc). I must say that my tires are always covered in a doubled up UV resistant fabric that came from a gazebo we had. Asked someone to make tire covers with it.

3- Just last week, the frame underneath the rear lower bunk "gave away", maybe my 16yo son is getting a bit too heavy for it, but it was also linked to the fact that the 2x2 going across might not have been properly nailed it at factory. I simply added some supporting members on the sides and it's like brand new!

Overall we are soooo satisfied with this TT, it's been well maintained and we often get the question "What year is that, it looks like new". Wax it every year, covered during winter, washed after each outing, even the awning is like new.

Best thing is with the current covid situation and the fact that many people decided to buy RVs, plus the low US-CAN rate exchange, my TT is worth more now on the market that it cost me at the end of 2013! But I'm not selling, it's paid off and it's going well, we'll keep it in shape until we decide that we need something smaller when the kids don't follow anymore.

I just hope that the "new" Jayco RVs are as well built as this one, truly isgood to see that you can get a good RV still and that although it's built for high production, it doesn't mean necessarily that it's cheap!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #2

We have a 2016 - 28BHBE and couldn't be happier as well. The girl has been virtually perfect for us with only minor issues. My DW continues t push for a 5th Wheel upgrade but I am so happy and satisfied with my current trailer I am not even remotely interested in trading.

We have probably 12,000 miles on ours and I am meticulous when it comes to maintenance. I have swapped all bearings and seals out for Timkens early on, replaced original tires with Maxxis, added a wet bolt kit and may other tweaks to make it just the way we want it.

I am very much an impulse buyer and the way I know for sure that this is he trailer I want to stay with is every RV show we go to I am not even remotely tempted to upgrade!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

Ah Ah My wife is like you, she likes our TT but keeps saying "someday we'll get a FW"

One thing I love about mine is the interior colors also, I often find the new models not having such an appealing (to us at least) interior.

I got the brakes and bearings checked once and I'm due for an other check up this Fall. Would do it myself, but I lack time and probably some tools, so I get it done by people who are used to doing it!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #4

Sadly, my wife will win at some point but I am resisting at least for the foreseeable future!! I get very attached to my vehicles and for some reason, maybe all the family memories in this camper I don't want to let go of her just yet. We have other campers that I sold. Some I regretted others not so much...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Sadly, my wife will win at some point but I am resisting at least for the foreseeable future!! I get very attached to my vehicles and for some reason, maybe all the family memories in this camper I don't want to let go of her just yet. We have other campers that I sold. Some I regretted others not so much...
We traded our BHBE in on a motorhome just over 2 years ago. We had that trailer for a little over 4 years? Made TONS of memories, and it was a GREAT camper. We had been A LOT of cool places in that rig. I was a little sad the day I cleaned it out and got it ready to go for its last ride with us. I took a bunch of pictures and even shot a video after I had it all ready.

And I think pictures are the key. Once I realized that the whole point of all those trips and the camper itself was the experiences we would have, I began to understand that the camper is merely a tool. I have HUNDREDS of pictures of our voyages in that trailer, and every one of them conjures up a memory and/or a story. So, in a way, they will live on forever.

We just changed "tools". We continue to travel, see new places, make new memories, and of course, take TONS of pictures. So long as we're together, I'm okay with whatever we're traveling in.

So while there was a little pang of sadness the day we said goodbye to that trailer, there was also the anticipation and excitement of all the new experiences and memories we would create!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

We have a 2014 287 BHBE and towed with a 1500 and we were restricted to flat land here in Ohio. We just stepped up to a Chevrolet 2500 diesel and can't wait to head south and west on some trips..Thanks for the update
Satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

And I think pictures are the key. Once I realized that the whole point of all those trips and the camper itself was the experiences we would have, I began to understand that the camper is merely a tool. I have HUNDREDS of pictures of our voyages in that trailer, and every one of them conjures up a memory and/or a story. So, in a way, they will live on forever.

Wow, well said you are exactly right!!!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
We have a 2014 287 BHBE and towed with a 1500 and we were restricted to flat land here in Ohio. We just stepped up to a Chevrolet 2500 diesel and can't wait to head south and west on some trips..Thanks for the update

Why were you restricted to flat lands? 287 BHBE, those are the 7ft wide instead of 8ft, so they would be a little lighter and would catch less wind resistance in the front.

What kind of 1500 did you have? small engine? My previous Sierra 1500 had no issues pulling it, it did slow down is some real tough and long hills but never let me down. Now the F150 EB 3.5 that's another story, without pushing the engine, this thing just pulls the 28BHBE uphill without slowing down or going above 3000 RPM. The engine is made to pull! Happy with my trade!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

I had a Chevy 1500..According to numbers the 5.3 should have pulled no problem but just in the hills of southern Ohio it seemed to really work... I now have to adjust the Equal-i-zer for the 2500. My 287BHBE | 2014 JAY FLIGHT SWIFT is also 8ft wide. The truck could tow around maybe 9500 and I was about at 8000 fully loaded up so too close for comfort for me anyway...WE just love this camper and really didn't want to downsize so a new truck was the ticket.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
I had a Chevy 1500..According to numbers the 5.3 should have pulled no problem but just in the hills of southern Ohio it seemed to really work... I now have to adjust the Equal-i-zer for the 2500. My 287BHBE | 2014 JAY FLIGHT SWIFT is also 8ft wide. The truck could tow around maybe 9500 and I was about at 8000 fully loaded up so too close for comfort for me anyway...WE just love this camper and really didn't want to downsize so a new truck was the ticket.
We upgraded to a 2500 towing our 28BHBE as well. For just me and DW the GMC 1500 was okay (not great, but okay, we were at our upper limits). When we found out DW was pregnant, I thought about all the "extra stuff", and we upgraded to a 2500. It stung a little financially, but was WELL worth it for us. My Ram 2500 ended up being an excellent truck for us, and not just towing the trailer. It was a great deer lease crawler, beach-rover, stuff-hauler, dirt-hauler, people hauler, daily driver, etc. I loved my Sierra too, but my Ram was a whole other level.

For towing and camping, I NEVER had to worry about weight again. I could throw ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I wanted in the truck, and have PLENTY of capacity. Hauling 20 gallons of extra fuel, a generator, bikes, air compressor, extra water, etc etc in the back of the truck was no problem with 3300 lbs of available payload. My only limit was physical space. And with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch I installed, adjustments were as easy as picking up an extra chain link.

I sure did sleep better at night after that upgrade. And I LOVED my truck. I was actually more sad to see it go than I was the trailer. But I love my Jeeps now too, so I'm good...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #11

Thanks Bob and I will find out soon enough. I have yet to hook up the camper and need to adjust the Equalizer hitch for the added height of the 2500..Hoping it won't be too hard to figure out. The dealer did the original so I have no experience in adjusting this rig.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Bob and I will find out soon enough. I have yet to hook up the camper and need to adjust the Equalizer hitch for the added height of the 2500..Hoping it won't be too hard to figure out. The dealer did the original so I have no experience in adjusting this rig.
Oh yeah, my Ram was TALL too. I had to get a pretty deep drop hitch to keep the trailer level. And my trailer was pretty tall too!

When I upgraded to the Blue Ox hitch, I ended up getting a bar with a deeper drop that was also longer so I could open the tailgate with the trailer attached. I could never do that with my original setup (Fastway E2).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

I am running a Equal-i-zer hitch
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Their website has some great information to choose from here.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manuals-and-guides

I'm sure you could even call them at (800) 478-5578 if you need any additional help with your hitch. They're great to deal with.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #15

Thanks for advice and I hope they are
Old 08-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for advice and I hope they are
The Fastway E2 that I had before comes from the same manufacturer (Progress Manufacturing), and yes they were very helpful when I had questions.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #17

Camper_bob....dw ???
Old 08-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Camper_bob....dw ???
"DW" = "Darling Wife" or "Dear Wife"

ETA: I just re-read some of your posts. The adjustment of the Equalizer for the new truck isn't that difficult, especially if you have a decent set of 1/2" drive sockets and a long-ish breaker bar.

The challenge will be getting enough drop out of your current shank to accommodate the added height of the new truck. I had to get a different shank to accomplish what I needed.

Sorry for the hijack Salsa!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #19

I also had the Equalizer hitch... and also had to adjust it... a few times!

First was with my Sierra, because the dealer had not tightened the bolts properly, it felt like driving on sheer ice!! Good thing I had some tools with me to adjust at the campground (cause we were a day away from home in the middle of nowhere!)

Then after that I felt like the adjustment wasn't perfect as the dealer had done it, so when I went into a trailer shop to get the brakes maintained, I asked them to adjust it. Got home and couldn't unhitch anymore. Had to be in a straight line on a perfectly leveled ground to do it. So that's I decided I was no dumber than the guys doing it at the shops! Downloaded the instruction manual and adjusted away. Finally found the perfect set up for the Sierra.

The the F150 came, and the set up wasn't good anymore since the hitch receiver was about 1-2" higher. So I readjusted. Took it out for a first trip, wasn't satisfied after a 300miles drive, so while we were stopped for lunch, I took my tools out and readjusted it slightly. The ride was better but still not perfect.

When I got back home, found a level parking lot and readjusted it. Been happy ever since.

It's not complex, it's just a slow process and you may have to readjust a few times to find the perfect spot.

Also see what you guys mean about the Sierra, that truck was good on gas, but it could find some hills a little tough, which meant you had to take it easy and let the truck do the work and not try to push it. It also depends on how heavy you carry around, I've seen guys loaded so much that I wonder how they actually were able to make it up certain hills I went through. For my part, I couldn't justify the move to a 2500, we use the truck mostly to haul some firewood in my 6x10 trailer and the TT, so shedding the extra $ for a 2500 was not something I was going to feel comfortable about.

However, as I said, the 3.5 Ecoboost, is night and day compared to the Sierra 5.3. Oh yes it might be an engine that will not live long, but we'll see. I'm on the second EB generation, plus I don,t usually keep my car/trucks pass the 85-90k km mark (50-55k miles or so). Someone else will have the engine issues!!!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #20

Salsa03 Thanks for your input and the SIL and I are going to set it up tomorrow. I will take it for a drive to see how it feels and def have the tools onboard to adjust if need be.
Thanks again