Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #1

2018 264BH battery losing charge during storage

How long should the 12V battery on the tongue last while in storage? After about a week or so our battery has lost a considerable amount of charge. Is this normal or could the battery be going bad? We have only had the TT a little over a month.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

There are several reasons for a battery losing charge; some you can easily control and some you can't. Lights etc. are easy to control, but there are several 'parasitic' draws on your battery you can't control using a switch - the co/propane detector is one of those.

Most RVers disconnect their battery and some remove it. If you disconnect/remove your battery be sure to LABEL OR PHOTOGRAPH THE BATTERY TERMINALS AND CABLES. If even touch the cables the wrong way, you will blow reverse polarity fuses.

While in storage, you also could consider a small solar charger to keep up with the discharging.

Since your battery is already partially discharged and your unit is in storage, it would be a good idea to remove the battery and fully charge it before further harm is done to your battery.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

Ditto what Oldman said...battery must be disconnected even for short storage periods. Being discharged, and left that way, will absolutely destroy a good battery.

I've yet to install a switch for my batteries on my 26BH, but I keep a small wrench in the nearest storage area where I keep all my leveling stuff. I always make sure my batteries are fully charged when I put the trailer away, other than the draw incurred from using the power jack to disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle.

I disconnect the negative cable.

Not installing a switch is one of those bizarre cost-savers that trailer manufacturers use. Countless newbies destroy their first battery because of it.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Team

You may want to just pull the MAIN 30 amp inline blade fuse next to the battery, if it is in storage between outings. Installing a battery disconnect switch is the best way to go.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Thank you all!!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #6

Smile Battery

We too disconnect the negative lead from the battery as our 23RL Jay Feather will eat up a battery in a few days while stored. There is a big drain with all the power boards and sensors. When I get around to it I will install a switch so I do not have to remove the cover etc.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #7

What kind of switch is best?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
What kind of switch is best?
Probably the most commonly used in the RV market is the Marine Battery cut off switch. It is made for harsh weather, so a frame mount is not an issue. Here is a picture of one, just search the web/Amazon for the best price. A single circuit type is all that is required.
I added a picture below. Also, here is my easy install method (scroll to post #2) if you follow the link.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Marine Battery cut off switch.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #9

I leave my batteries out on the tongue of my OFF-ROAD POPUP TRAILER over the winter months. The batteries will drop down to around 12.5-6 VDC in three months or so. When it hits the 12.5VDC level I will charge them back up to 100%...

My new Battery Bank of two paralleled groups of two 6VDC GC2 in series I am presently working on will have two ten watt solar panels installed one for each of the two GC2 6VDC Battery Banks in series which will act as a battery maintainer to keep them at the 12.6-7VDC range over the winter months. The solar panels are mounted to the slide off lid of the TORKLIFT metal battery box and will be in the sun all the time for the most part...

Google image

This photo only shows one solar panel that came with the box and I will be adding a second one on the other end of the box. The solar Panels will be hard wired directly to the battery terminals that are producing 12VDC. The solar panels have quick disconnect connectors that are accessible from the outside without having to open the battery box.

I Use BLUE SEA Sealed switches that totally disconnects the battery MAIN LINE going to the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel when doing this.

Google Image

My old battery setup had these switch mounted along the cross member section of the tongue area as shown here. My new switch location will be on the front of the Torklift Battery Box... The TORKLIFT Box will fit just perfect inside the two welded on angle strips that are across my tongue area shown here..

Roy's image

If I need to add several 12VDC lines to the setup for items I like to use 5/16-inch ring terminals on my battery leads and connect to stud connection of the Blue Sea Switches or to Blue Sea Bus Bars... All of my installed battery cable leads use the 5/16-inch ring terminals which is kinda neat...

Google image

I have two lines always connected to Battery Bank being my ROOF RAISE line and my BREAK-AWAY Switch setup... These two connections are directly off the battery terminals... Every thing else goes through my BLUE SEA BATTERY Switch setup which I have installed in the POSITIVE LINES verses the NEGATIVE line that alot of users like to do... This is a matter of choice for me as either way works just fine. If I was installing a DC CURRENT SHUNT for the nice inexpensive monitor meters available now (AMAZON) it should always be in the NEGATIVE cable path of the battery to prevent having accessible HOT wires to worry about routed around the trailer.

Google image

If a battery is charged up you don't have to worry about the freezing up over the winter months at least here in Virginia where we have somewhat mild winters...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
How long should the 12V battery on the tongue last while in storage? After about a week or so our battery has lost a considerable amount of charge. Is this normal or could the battery be going bad? We have only had the TT a little over a month.
GG,

A lot of good info for you provided by the members. Another angle; why not just take it off the trailer and move it into your garage with a trickle charger?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

My camper only came with one battery will that switch still working for me.
Thank you!
Gary
Old 07-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

I’ll put it in my garage in the winter on s trickle charger. I have found those seem to really extend the battery life on my riding mower
Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

During winter, our battery sits on the workbench with a trickle charger.

However, before we hooked up to shore power on our new TT, our battery went dead and I found a click LED light in the storage compartment in the "ON" position.....
33RBTSFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
My camper only came with one battery will that switch still working for me.
Thank you!
Gary
BLUE SEA HAS several different configurations for the switches. The one I use works best for combining two Battery Bank groups. It will do OFF-BANK 1 - BOTH BANKS - BANK2 - then back to ALL OFF again as the knob is being rotated...

For one battery I see this switch used alot... Mounted on the outside of the plastic battery box. nice touch...

Google image

This is another switch setup for a single battery... This one has a removable key... (Of course i would lose my key probably)

I like to use an enclosed switch where the switchable contacts won't arc as much when they are being operated ON-OFF... The BLUE SEA switches are really sealed good and most of them make before break when between two sources. The BLUE SEA products of course are made to operate in the very harsh BOAT environment which is a Hugh Plus for using with the RV...

Just search GOOGLE for BATTERY SWITCHES for sources... Usually all can be found on AMAZON with two day shipping...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #15

Awesome thank you!!