Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #1

2019 32BHDS rear camera wiring

Hello. I recently purchased a 2019 Jay Flight 32BHDS. I bought a Furrion rear view camera to connect to the pre-wired shark fin mount installed at the factory. The trailer owner's manual states that I also need to install a switch at either the control panel or the USB charging station in the bedroom. It also states that the camera and switch installation details would be detailed in an instruction sheet included with the warranty packet. I've gone through all of the documentation and cannot find any camera/switch installation instructions. From the research I've found so far, Jayco seems to changes the setup for the camera wiring pretty regularly and the information I've found on this forum so far doesn't seem to be quite the same for the 2019 models. There are only 2 wires fed into the camera mount at the rear (red and white). I do know for sure that there is no power at the pre-wired camera mount with the running lights on or the reverse lights on which I've verified with a voltmeter. Has anyone else experienced this or do you have suggestions on the best place to find the installation details for a 2019 model? Thank you in advance.
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

My 2019 JayFeather 24RL is connected to the running lights.
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn2High View Post
My 2019 JayFeather 24RL is connected to the running lights.
Below is the text from the owner's manual. It sounds like a customer supplied switch is required but the installation instructions weren't included in the documentation I received.

Rear Backup Camera Prep
Your recreation vehicle has been pre-wired to allow for installation of a (customer supplied
& customer installed) rear backup camera and a customer installed (or dealer installed) camera
ON/OFF switch so the backup camera can be used as an observation/security camera.
Depending on your RV model, a camera accessory power wire is pre-routed at the factory
from the rear camera, to the bedroom or the command center panel inside the entrance door.
An ON/OFF switch would be installed (by the customer or the dealer) either in the bedroom
or in or near the command center panel. The camera accessory power wire would be attached
to this switch. The camera monitor is then plugged into the camera charge center
in the bedroom or near the command center panel to be used for observation or security
purposes.
Certain models may have a pre-installed power switch for the camera located in an exterior
compartment. (e.g. battery storage or utility center bay). Your dealer can tell you if your
model comes with a switch pre-installed.
An instruction sheet is included with your RV detailing the installation of the backup cam
era,

and the camera power switch. It also explains where to find the camera accessory power
wire in your particular model RV. This instruction sheet is included in your Warranty Packet.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

That sounds like it comes from the the people that make the camera. It is generic and looks like it tries to cover any RV. I would give Jayco tech support a call and see what they say about your model RV.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

While traveling its powered by your market lights, if you want to use it as a security camera at a campsite, then you will need to add a switch at that camera outlet to power the camera all the time. At least that's how I understand those instructions.
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Hi All. Thanks for the replies. I found out that my 2019 Jay Flight 32bhds camera is NOT powered by the running lights. Like the manual says, a switch is required. I found an unconnected orange wire behind the control center panel. I jumped this wire to a power lead to confirm that it did power the rear camera. I will just need to tap into a power lead and install a switch in the control panel.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

That's a nice of them to let you connect it to a switch. Very cool.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 AM   #8

how did your install go? i have a 2019 fay feather x213 that has the shark fin. i installed my camera yesterday and had no power to the camera. i read the same thing in the manual and realized i had an empty switch location that says security on my panel. im going to go ahead and install a switch today. where did you rob power for this switch? im curious how you did your install. any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Brewcrew22 or Duramax, did either of you have a photo to share? I’m looking for the evasive power lead for my 33RBTS right now.
lsutyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 AM   #10

I should have taken a picture. When I removed the rear camera housing from the camper the camera wire was supposedly wired in with the rear lights but it was not. I pulled out the white power wire and spliced into that. Mine had a purple wire that i then hooked up. That was it for connections at the camera. Inside at my control panel that purple wire was behind the plate. I robbed power behind that panel from another wire and wired in a switch to the camera. I'm able to kill power at anytime. If you have any other questions let me know it was very simple to do.
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #11

Brewcrew - Thanks!

I found an Orange wire behind the shark fin that was also behind the command center. Put a quick jumper on it and the camera powered up. Now just need to pick up a switch to finish the install!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Thanks!

Brewcrew,
Thanks for the input. I found an orange wire and now I can get power to the camera. You have my gratitude.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #13

Awesome info, just got a trailer and was curious about this.
PNWjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #14

Same as a 34mbds

Long story short. Pulled cover where slide control and sensors located. Found hanging orange wire. Spliced a new wire to the pink line that powers light switches. Put a toggle switch between the 2. Had power at the switch but none at the rear camera plug. Had to pull the rear connector out and resplice the small red and black wire to the orange and white wire that the had been almost connected to. Works like a charm and can be used when the rv is parked for security.
Pharmer dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

So where does the video feed wire end up at for the monitor?
sooperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperduty View Post
So where does the video feed wire end up at for the monitor?

They are wireless, no need for a video cable, camera transmits video signal to the monitor in the tow vehicle. Had mine for a few years, love it!

Also to all the other posters, if your intent is to use as a back up camera, powering the camera from the center marker light (thus receiving power thru the 7 pin from your tow vehicle) works well, just need to turn on the park lights in the TV to power the camera when either backing up or any other time you might want to.

If your intent is to use it as well as an observation camera while stationary, that is when the power would need to come from your trailer and you would power via a switch. You would take the monitor that is in the tow vehicle and use it in the trailer, don't forget the monitor would need a 12v source as well........when traveling you would put the monitor back in the tow vehicle.......remember to leave the camera power switch in the trailer on......or you will see nothing!!!

Personally I never understood the observation camera option......move monitor to and fro seems like a PITA.........want to see whats at the back of your trailer while camped, look out the window, I suppose if you don't have a rear window there might be some use to the observation camera option.

For me, powered by the center marker light, only use it while backing and occasionally while underway to see traffic behind me or while making a lane change in congested traffic.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #17

I thought what was meant by the term "observation camera" was that you can see behind you when driving down the highway. I find it very handy when passing someone to see when it is clear to pull back in.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn2High View Post
I thought what was meant by the term "observation camera" was that you can see behind you when driving down the highway. I find it very handy when passing someone to see when it is clear to pull back in.
Typically "observation camera" is the term used to describe a set up where the camera is powered by the trailer and can be used (when the same monitor that is used in the TV while underway is relocated to the trailer while camped) and that same "observation camera" set up can be used while underway as long as the camera is kept powered by the trailer and you now have relocated the monitor to the tow vehicle.

A "back up/rear view camera" is the term used when the camera powered is by the marker light (when park lights are activated on the tow vehicle) and can be viewed on the monitor which remains in the the tow vehicle. This set up can only be used when connected to the tow vehicle as it gets it's power thru the 7 pin.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #19

I ended up buying the GM camera that mount on the rear center wall and plugs into the port on the bumper just above the 7 pin on the truck. Now i have the (Invisible trailer view on the center screen.
sooperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:15 AM   #20

Those that have the security switch set up, I have a question for. Does it still work off of the marker lights or only the switch?

I would like it to work both ways (marker lights so I don’t have to remember the switch before getting on the road, and by switch when camping for observation) so if it doesn’t I might add some one way diodes in-line of both wires to allow it to work both ways.

Mine currently works with the marker lights, and I found the purple wire behind the control panel.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, flight, installation, rear, switch