Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

24rbs Jay flight heater question

Seems my furnace /heater won't stay on. Is my pilot out? Been windy here. Looked under sofa. Looked outside. No clue where to light if the pilot is out. Got gas, range works. Furnace comes on then goes off. Thanks for tips.
ThirstyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

ThirstyRed,

Welcome to JOF

Furnace issues can be difficult to pin-point, and are more difficult when they "don't have" an exterior wall access panel (like the 24RBS). Common issues with a furnace can be a faulty high temp switch, sail switch, igniter, circuit board, faulty regulator, etc..

Here are a couple JOF threads that may be helpful:

My 2018 24RBS furnace:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-73590.html

Other JOF furnace related issue threads:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...g-83489-2.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ead-79449.html

In the JOF 'search' feature at the top of the page enter "furnace not working" for additional threads on the subject.

Just curious, does your 24RBS Jay Flight LP tank regulator fall under the recent Jayco recall??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #3

Yes on recall

Hello, thanks for your reply to my post. I wanted to introduce myself to this board in a more normal manner. I will still do so. Unfortunately while out this weekend, I had the heater issue, thus my pop up post. I was hoping there was a magic reset button somewhere that would make my furnace start working again. I've been out 3 times now. Never had problems before with furnace. I do fall under recall. However, I replaced my lines and regulator myself (Teflon tape etc, 2 stage camco was all I could find). Furnace was fine after my work. I am a proud jayco owner of only a few weeks now. I purchased after much research a 2018 jayco jay flight 24rbs. Thanks again for reply. Really enjoy this forum. Tom, North Atlanta GA.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyRed View Post
snip.....I was hoping there was a magic reset button somewhere that would make my furnace start working again....snip
In order to access the reset button on my 2018 24RBS furnace, I had to remove the screws holding the wood box cover in place over the furnace. Once the screws were removed I slide the box away from the outer wall and it provided enough open space to view the furnace reset switch.

First, turn the wall thermostat "OFF", then place the reset switch in the "OFF" position for about 1 minute, then switch back to the "RESET" position. At the wall thermostat make sure you have your 'fan' setting on "automatic"..., not low or high.
Now restart your furnace from the wall thermostat.

I cut a hole over my resent switch in the wood box cover panel thus providing easier access.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

Bob, the next time that you get to your unit, would you mind posting a measurement of how far back from the front (nearest the bathroom, on the top) the hole you cut for the reset switch is? I haven’t had any trouble, but I want to cut a hole for access just in case. Thanks in advance, Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
snip...... measurement of how far back from the front (nearest the bathroom, on the top) the hole you cut for the reset switch is?.....snip
Jay,

....... in my case it's 10 1/2".

* From the outside wall to the 'center' of my access hole is 2 1/2".

* From the front (facing bathroom) of my wood box back to the bedroom wall is 22 1/2".

* The top metal surface of the furnace where the reset switch is mounted is 2" below the top panel of the wood box.

NOTE: I can't guarantee that all Jayco furnace wood box covers are dimensionally identical, even with the same model/floorplan

The return air vent mounted on top of the wood box I installed, not Jayco.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Seems my furnace /heater won't stay on. Is my pilot out? Been windy here. Looked under sofa. Looked outside. No clue where to light if the pilot is out. Got gas, range works. Furnace comes on then goes off. Thanks for tips.
First, turn off thermostat. Turn it back on and set for heat. Get close enough to listen and see if you hear a clicking noise. If you hear it clicking, it’s trying to light. It will try to light 3 times and then shut down if there is a problem. A common problem is the sail switch getting dirty or clogged. Lots of reading material on fixes.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #8

Thank you very much for the measurements. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #9

Thanks - will try sail switch.

Thank you all for the replies. I have a new sail switch in hand. Took a shot without "real" due diligence and ordered the 33082. I did this based on replies and existing posts here on the forum. Hope it works. Going out later this week for 3 nights (supposed to have daytime temps at 70!). Will let you all know what I find. Thanks again. Tom
2004 Winnebago Sightseer Class A (retired)
1979 Holiday Rambler 5th Wheel (retired)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. I have a new sail switch in hand. Took a shot without "real" due diligence and ordered the 33082. I did this based on replies and existing posts here on the forum. Hope it works. Going out later this week for 3 nights (supposed to have daytime temps at 70!). Will let you all know what I find. Thanks again. Tom
The sail switch is easy to check. It is normally open and makes contact when the fan blows across it. Just check for continuity across the connectors when the fan is blowing or just take it out to check. It’s just a micro switch with a paddle on it.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #11

Replaced sail switch today (I have same model heater as Bob Atwood afmd20121 and same jayco unit with 2018 24rbs). Thanks Bob for all the info. All is well now with heater. While I was at it, cut opening for reset switch (thanks Bob!) and vented the top covering (thanks Bob!). Made marks for bedroom vent in wall(yup, thanks Bob!) Will do bedroom vent another day. Thanks all here not just Bob (ha). Be well! Tom
2004 Winnebago Sightseer Class A (retired)
1979 Holiday Rambler 5th Wheel (retired)
Old 12-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Replaced sail switch today (I have same model heater as Bob Atwood afmd20121 and same jayco unit with 2018 24rbs). Thanks Bob for all the info. All is well now with heater. While I was at it, cut opening for reset switch (thanks Bob!) and vented the top covering (thanks Bob!). Made marks for bedroom vent in wall(yup, thanks Bob!) Will do bedroom vent another day. Thanks all here not just Bob (ha). Be well! Tom
Bob knows the 24RBS inside and out. He has given me some good advice on several things as well. Thanks Bob!