Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #1

267bhsw

Ok does anyone have one and if so good points bad points and what should I watch for ??? Seems to be a very popular size here in central Iowa . I know it’s well built it’s a jayco! But any information would be helpful!
Steve
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #2

Man I really would like a conversation started about this also? I made a thread and haven’t got many hits. What are you going to be towing it with?
ErnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

I have a 2018 267BHSW. The "W" means it's a "Western" version of the 267BHS, and, as I understand it, is made at Jayco's Idaho assembly location instead of back in Indiana. The BHSW has 500 lbs more for total cargo carrying capacity, presumably due to having higher weight-rated axles, and perhaps some other structural mods, but I'm not sure about the latter. Any I'm not sure that the eastern version has all of the same options of the western one (Thermal Package, maybe?), so you might check into that if you think it's important. When I was looking for trailer deals, I didn't see any "W" versions in Iowa, only the BHS versions, so just know that's a difference you might want to know about if it matters to you.

I like the trailer's layout, especially the great amount of floor space due to the large double slide. But I have had a number of warranty issues, which I've discussed in other posts I've made on the forum:
No enclosed underbelly even though trailer had "Thermal Package" sticker. You probably won't have any possibility of running into this issue since you're getting the RM package, but, in my case, when I noted this to the dealer a few days after pulling it home, they ended up swapping the trailer with another one that had the entire Thermal Package, plus a couple other options I didn't have with the first one (grill, ladder), so I was happy with how they handled it.

Slide noise - loud popping sound during operation. I regretted not operating the slide in and out fully when I did my PDI. I recommend you run it in and out completely a couple times at least to check for any noises. They fixed this problem right away, but I had to take it back to the dealer (for me it's about 15 miles), wait 2 weeks for Jayco approval to fix as a warranty claim, then wait another week for them to fix it.

Radio - no AM station reception, and very poor FM reception . Not a very big deal but they've tried to fix it about 4 times, even spent $290 on a "booster" of some sort, and I finally gave up on it as it's about a $50 radio so I figure I'll replace it myself at some point. Another guy on here had same problem and Jayco approved a replacement radio of a slightly different brand that he says works great now, so I let my dealer and Jayco know about that but Jayco denied it anyway. If you care about this issue, better check the radio against what stations you can receive in your tow vehicle.

Water Heater - it's a gas-only with electronic ignition, the igniter quit working suddenly, required a new controller board. This is a very common problem with the Atwood water heaters, lots of discussion on this forum about it.

Refrigerator would not re-light when on gas operation at higher altitudes. You probably won't find out if you have this problem until you camp up higher. Here's a link to the resolution I discovered after dealer couldn't find anything wrong (because they're at 5000' or less like where I live): https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ved-58063.html

Stove exhaust fan quit working - this required a new "diode", they told me. Took two trips to the dealer for this as they had to order the part.

Roof construction defect - this has probably been the biggest issue for me. I understand that, after a fair bit of negotiation with Jayco (dealer stuck up for me very well), it has now been repaired and so am waiting to go check it out as soon as they fix (or once again inaccurately claim to have fixed . . .) the radio again. Here's a link to the whole story on that matter:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ane-61233.html

Something to maybe prepare yourself for is what appears to be a common theme with many dealers as I understand it (and maybe Camping World in general??), which is that they most often have to order parts after they analyse a warranty issue, which takes another couple weeks for some strange reason, so you can find you have to leave the rig at the dealer for a lot longer than you planned, or you have to go get it for a camping trip, get along without the thing fixed that you took it in for, and then take it back in again when they call and tell you the part's in. Water heater, radio, exhaust fan all have required more than one trip to the dealer to leave the TT there . . .
And here's another somewhat minor thing to check on also re the "low point drains":
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...pdi-60680.html

I tow this trailer with a 2017 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4wd with 3.5 Ecoboost and Max Tow package, plus 7000 GVWR extra payload rating (that's the truck's payload, not the trailer).

Even with that, my truck's cargo payload capacity is only 1,760 lbs (on the yellow sticker on the door jam), so have to be careful with cargo and trailer loading to not exceed truck's payload capacity since just the trailer tongue weight alone can add 750 to over 1000 lbs of "cargo" weight to your truck, leaving only about 600 to 1000 lbs of payload left for you, other passengers, tools, kayaks, trailer hitch, etc etc etc to carry or apply against the truck's capacity.

So, if you have 3/4 ton or bigger truck you should be fine (although still check your numbers), but know that you'll need to do some extra number crunching if you're planning to tow with a half-ton truck. Some (many?) folks on here will tell you don't tow this size trailer with a half-ton, while others will say "no problem", so just be aware it's an important decision you may need to make.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #4

Ok thanks! I’ll research all the things you’ve added. I have a 19 Ram 1500 with 1460 pound payload, and 8240 tow capacity. Guess I would be pushing it?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #5

With all said and done I shouldn’t put a TT behind my truck that’s over 7600 pounds . My trailer will be under 7000 loaded and my tongue weight around 1300 pounds ! I could go slightly bigger and still be fine in my gvwr on the truck but I really don’t wanna pull the guts outta her ya know . It’s my wife a kid and me and a couple dogs it’s plenty of camper for us plus my son invited a friend along during the summer... my wife Isn’t big on the outdoors so i have to cater to her comfort but she just loves the jayco it took over a year looking researching going to see TT in many states to finally settle on the bunk house with the slide out then we set out looking for a used 17-18 so we were not the ones with the giant depresiation on a new camper . I had already suffered that buying a new truck and driving it off the lot lol!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
With all said and done I shouldn’t put a TT behind my truck that’s over 7600 pounds . My trailer will be under 7000 loaded and my tongue weight around 1300 pounds ! I could go slightly bigger and still be fine in my gvwr on the truck but I really don’t wanna pull the guts outta her ya know . It’s my wife a kid and me and a couple dogs it’s plenty of camper for us plus my son invited a friend along during the summer... my wife Isn’t big on the outdoors so i have to cater to her comfort but she just loves the jayco it took over a year looking researching going to see TT in many states to finally settle on the bunk house with the slide out then we set out looking for a used 17-18 so we were not the ones with the giant depresiation on a new camper . I had already suffered that buying a new truck and driving it off the lot lol!
What truck are you towing it with?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

2019 f150 xlt crew cab 4x4 with the eco boost 3.5 v6 with twin turbos 10 speed electronic tranny the elite tow package with the 36 gallon fuel tank
Old 03-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #8

I bought the truck full knowing I was getting a tt . We had just paid off the Ford Edge and I figured trading it in and getting something we can use more then too run to store with . And the fuel economy is 18.9 in the city . If I keep the sport mode off lol!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

I also have the weight distribution hitch and anti sway the backup control knob the camera and it Bluetooths the camera on tt.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:16 PM   #10

That’s a good truck, I’m currently using a Ram 1500, just wish i had the taller gear.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
Ok thanks! I’ll research all the things you’ve added. I have a 19 Ram 1500 with 1460 pound payload, and 8240 tow capacity. Guess I would be pushing it?
My guess would be yes, and that you might find it very hard to stay within that payload limit with the trailer weight you're looking at. My truck specs say more than 11,000 tow capacity, but I wouldn't even think of pulling that much after doing the math for one at 7500 lbs. You might be able to balance it all out if you're really careful with distributing stuff in the trailer to keep tongue weight near the low end of the required range to avoid trailer sway (10 to 15 percent of trailer weight), and then don't carry much for people and stuff in the truck. I'd think you would want a good tongue weight scale for that kind of fine tuning so you're not making multiple runs to the CAT scale. Anyway, good luck figuring it all out.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

So ours is a 2017 and it's our first TT. We went to a local RV show and spent 5 1/2 days there looking at TTs, hybrids , 5ers and C Classes.
Overall the 267 met our many needs reasonably.
We don't camp frequently, but my impressions over 18 outings are still positive.
We wish it had more clothing storage, dresser and wardrobe. We're usually only camping for a weekend so living out of a suitcase isn't a big deal.
We have had a few nagging issues which Jayco was no help at all resolving.
Our mattress flattened in the first 2 outings. The dealer wanted me to drag the whole camper there and leave it for a week.
I finally took several pics and they ordered me a new one. Took about a month for the replacement, which promptly failed again.
No help from Jayco on a 2nd replacement.
The disposable car stereo they installed is a lost cause. Hard to turn on, difficult to access and lousy reception.
I bring along a battery operated radio which I can bluetooth my phone to it for music.
The appliances have all been fine, no fridge issues, water heater or stove.
I had a Ram 1500 when I bought it and the trailer weighed 5400 and the truck could tow 7400. It seemed like plenty of safety spread there.
After loading the trailer and the truck, not so much.
After a couple outings, I made the decision to trade my spiffy 1500 for a bland white 2500 gasser. The difference in towing was dramatic.
On a long tow to Disneyworld, I had a car do a dramatic lane change in front of mr and then hit the brakes.
I had already started with a string of expletives, but while was concerned, the Ram/ 267 combo braked smoothly.
We went to the RV show again this year, but until the 267 is more than half paid for, we're sticking with it.
Overall, we're pleased and would make the same decision again.
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
So ours is a 2017 and it's our first TT. We went to a local RV show and spent 5 1/2 days there looking at TTs, hybrids , 5ers and C Classes.
Overall the 267 met our many needs reasonably.
We don't camp frequently, but my impressions over 18 outings are still positive.
We wish it had more clothing storage, dresser and wardrobe. We're usually only camping for a weekend so living out of a suitcase isn't a big deal.
We have had a few nagging issues which Jayco was no help at all resolving.
Our mattress flattened in the first 2 outings. The dealer wanted me to drag the whole camper there and leave it for a week.
I finally took several pics and they ordered me a new one. Took about a month for the replacement, which promptly failed again.
No help from Jayco on a 2nd replacement.
The disposable car stereo they installed is a lost cause. Hard to turn on, difficult to access and lousy reception.
I bring along a battery operated radio which I can bluetooth my phone to it for music.
The appliances have all been fine, no fridge issues, water heater or stove.
I had a Ram 1500 when I bought it and the trailer weighed 5400 and the truck could tow 7400. It seemed like plenty of safety spread there.
After loading the trailer and the truck, not so much.
After a couple outings, I made the decision to trade my spiffy 1500 for a bland white 2500 gasser. The difference in towing was dramatic.
On a long tow to Disneyworld, I had a car do a dramatic lane change in front of mr and then hit the brakes.
I had already started with a string of expletives, but while was concerned, the Ram/ 267 combo braked smoothly.
We went to the RV show again this year, but until the 267 is more than half paid for, we're sticking with it.
Overall, we're pleased and would make the same decision again.
Thanks for this post! At this point, I’m not feeling comfortable pushing the limits of my half ton when I have such an awesome pop up with a front deck to haul toys and such. I’ll pay down the pop up, upgrade my TV first then pick a trailer I really enjoy traveling in and looking at! All this unless the end of the world comes first. The outside option I have is to toss out the 267BHSW and in its place but a 264BHW RME with Baja, completely loaded. I lose the slide, but also drop 1,000 pounds in GVWR. Plus have the benefit of less potential maintenance with the slide. The only thing is can my family of four and two dogs be comfortable inside this trailer on crappy days?
Old 04-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #14

Can't help you re happiness of your family of 4 in the smaller floor space, but I think you're being really smart about this now. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #15
Say

Are you sure about that “W”? We have a 265rlsw and that “W” stands for Wide. At least with our model, Jayco made both 7’ and 8’ wide models. Ours was built in Indiana.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
Are you sure about that “W”? We have a 265rlsw and that “W” stands for Wide. At least with our model, Jayco made both 7’ and 8’ wide models. Ours was built in Indiana.
The SLX 8 is eight feet wide. The W in the Jayco models means the trailer was made in the west coast, specifically Idaho. Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Have heard about a few folks reporting their salesperson told them the W was for "wide", however . . .

Here are specs for 267BHS:
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-slx-8/267bhs/

Here are specs for 267BHSW:
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-west/267bhsw/

Here are specs for 265RLS:
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-slx-8/265rls/

And for 265RLSW, latest I could find is 2017 model:
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...65rlsw-tr30023

All are 8 feet wide. Jayco has several "SLX 7" models that are 7 feet wide, but the SLX 8 models are 8 feet.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #18

Quote:
My dealer in cedar Rapids Iowa tells me the W is for wide. Ours is a 2016 267BHSW and we have had no problems at all
Sisilija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Say

Okay. Are y’all looking at 2016 models? There was no SLX8 designation that year. All I can tell you is my 2016 265rlsw was produced in Indiana (unless they sent Indiana stickers to Idaho to put on those rigs).
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #20
Say

GL243,
There was no SLX8 in 2016 which is the year of my 265rlsw. As I said in previous post, my was produced in Indiana (unless Jayco swaps stickers with their western plant.