Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGaCamperz View Post
I have the Bluetooth app. I notice the app disconnects often even moving about the trailer but it is cool to monitor the power usage with it. Theoretically it should be a lifetime. I’m on 30 amp power.
Excellent. Thanks for sharing I'm going to order one!
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
How do you know if your battery of fully charged? Do I have to go out there with an amp meter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGaCamperz View Post
There’s a battery level light in the trailer but I carry a volt meter in my tool bag for an accurate reading.
The on board unit is really bad.

Best method, is a digital voltmeter. Best to measure a couple hours after the battery has been disconnected from the charging source.

12.7 volts is considered fully charged. 12.0 V is considered discharged.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #23

Weird. I just tested with meter that I have. Said -12.7 but I put red cable to positive terminal and black cable to negative terminal. 🤔 Its a brand new battery but I left light on the other night not plugged in. So plugged it up today to house to make sure its fully charged. Tested a hour or so later after unplugging..

Also is this the on board reader? It isn't lit up or anything..(pic attatched)
Attached Thumbnails
20201127_160553.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Weird. I just tested with meter that I have. Said -12.7 but I put red cable to positive terminal and black cable to negative terminal. 🤔 Its a brand new battery but I left light on the other night not plugged in. So plugged it up today to house to make sure its fully charged. Tested a hour or so later after unplugging..

Also is this the on board reader? It isn't lit up or anything..(pic attatched)
Not sure why your volt meter shows -12.7 when hooked up properly but 12.7 is fully charged. Yes that is the on board reader. You have to press the button [the oval] to activate it just as you would to get tank readings.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 AM   #25
Site Team

The onboard indicator is only going to display a % of charge when you push it's button.

Pretty much useless if you want a voltage reading.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #26

Buy a cheap plug into a power port volt meter. I got a nice one that reads temperature also for like $13 on Amazon. You still need a multi meter for repairs, but at least you won’t have to drag it out every time you want to check the battery voltage. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #27

I have 2 30amp surge protectors after my first one burnt up! I have a Hughes watchdog, (highly recommend), and a much less expensive one as a back up. So to answer your question if I haven’t already always use a surge protector.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Buy a cheap plug into a power port volt meter. I got a nice one that reads temperature also for like $13 on Amazon. You still need a multi meter for repairs, but at least you won’t have to drag it out every time you want to check the battery voltage. Jay
What do you mean by power port volt meter? Like it will plug into wall socket like a tv or anything else would and will show me voltage?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I have 2 30amp surge protectors after my first one burnt up! I have a Hughes watchdog, (highly recommend), and a much less expensive one as a back up. So to answer your question if I haven’t already always use a surge protector.
Thanks I still need to place that order for my watchdog! I have only plugged up one time to 15 amp. Havent been using any electric yet. Just been trying to learn how everything operates and resealing everything. Lots of reading and youtube videos! I can still use watchdog through 15amp adapter?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Hey guy thanks for the advice so far. I have another question. If I'm just using 15 amp service to charge the battery, do I still need a surge protector if the AC and everything is turned off? I left orange outside light on for day without realizing it. Dont want to ruin my new battery.

Also I noticed the radio is always on standby. It's always lit up. Is that going to drain the battery if it's not hooked up for weeks or months?
If your camper doesn't have one, install a simple battery disconnect, so that you can kill all "parasitic" drain on your batteries. I've also bought an inexpensive solar power battery tender (thanks harbor freight) if you are storing away from the house (my situation). I had to install one on my old travel trailer, my newer 5th wheel came with one. They are cheap to install, and nothing is more frustrating that going to use your jack or a slide and nothing happens!!!!!

As everyone has said - some sort of surge suppressor or voltage regulator is a good think to keep between your camper & power sources - better to fry the $100-300 item than your very expensive camper electronics/control systems.
Joshuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #31

As others have said, get an EMS, not simply a surge protector. A lightning strike near my house damaged the transformer at the pole and my house was getting 150v! I noticed the lights being really bright after the strike and I rushed to kill power throughout the house.

A surge protector wouldn't have done anything in this instance but the EMS prevented $$$ in damages.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #32

What if you boondock 100% and your only power source is a Honda genny to charge up the battery a few hours a day. Still need a surge protector?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #33

I agree with all the other responses that you should always use a good EMS no matter where you plug in at. It may cost you a few big bucks but in the long run, it is "cheap insurance" for all the reasons previously listed!

And YES the power drain of the radio AND the CO2 alarm can quickly drain your battery when parked and not driving. We discovered this problem at a most inconvenient time while camping on our first TT trip. Although you can manually disconnect the battery to prevent a power drain, we elected to have a master cutoff switch installed in the forward storage bay of our trailer. Now we simply switch on or off.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #34

Ok thanks guys. I will look into a battery disconnect.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #35

Experience

Quote:
Hello all! In south Florida new to travel trailer life. Quick question.. Im planning to have a 30 amp outlet installed by electrician next to trailer do i need a surge protector? Or can i just plug in directly. Ive read without it you can mess up your appliances or electrical system. The power does go out here almost every day for like a second and comes back on i dont know if that means anything. Thanks for any advice in advance!
Last winter I made the mistake of plugging into an unreliable outlet. About the fifth time it went off and back on my furnace quit. It was -15 and was not a good thing. My Buddy heater was all that saved me. Your call now.
GipsieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
What if you boondock 100% and your only power source is a Honda genny to charge up the battery a few hours a day. Still need a surge protector?
The Honda's are inverter generators and give clean, constant power. So you really don't need a surge protector or EMS device...BUT, if you do use one with the generator, you'll need a bonding plug for the generator so the surge protector/EMS will allow the power to the RV and not show an open ground. You could make a bonding plug for $5 or buy one for about $19. I use my Southwire EMS every time I plug the RV in to any source, even my Honda 2200.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:32 AM   #37

Yes, I am talking about a digital readout volt meter that just plugs into a Round 12volt power outlet in the camper. On our 24RBS there is a power center on the wall next to the curbside of the bed. There is another one that is part of the tv antenna booster. No wiring, just plug it in. We leave ours plugged in all the time. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #38

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://thecampingnerd.com/rv-surge-...30-amp-50-amp/

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #39

Agree with previous posts, I use EMS no matter where we are plugged in. I also use a padlock no matter where we are booked up, these have been known to be an easy target for theft.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #40

I just bought the 30A EMS from Progressive Industries (EMS-PT30X) after much research. It's expensive but worth it. I also realized in research that the cheap surge protectors only tell you the wiring is bad but doesn't actually protect your RV if there was a wiring or surge of electricity. I'll be plugging this in everywhere and locking it up with the metal plate it comes with for locking it. It's not worth the risk of the potential damage to my RV without one. Hope that helps.
micahruns is offline   Reply With Quote