Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2024, 10:20 PM   #1
tld

Anti-Sway Control built into Tow vehicle

Ford trucks (and other manufacturers) have a built-in computer-controlled anti-sway feature that supposedly applies the corrective brake action to individual wheels if the sensor detects any sway with the attached trailer. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using this feature without using an anti-sway hitch. Is this feature, by itself, effective if a small trailer, say about 21 feet long and about 6 thousand pounds loaded, is being pulled by an F150?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:07 AM   #2

No it is not an effective anti sway system. The point at which it kicks in is well beyond the butt pucker moment.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
Ford trucks (and other manufacturers) have a built-in computer-controlled anti-sway feature that supposedly applies the corrective brake action to individual wheels if the sensor detects any sway with the attached trailer. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using this feature without using an anti-sway hitch. Is this feature, by itself, effective if a small trailer, say about 21 feet long and about 6 thousand pounds loaded, is being pulled by an F150?

The system was activated once on a very bad windy day with wind gust hitting square the side of my 29RKS. I was fighting the truck trying to stay between the lines. A very bad wind gust hits us and bommmm all the light in the dash traction control ABS and Gods know what came on the truck slow way down and all was good after that... obviously that was too much for my equalizer 4 .

i really dont know what outcome would have been without the trailer stability control but i like to think that gizmo saved our butt that day . I would not turn that off no matter what they say ... this system is there to help at controlling sway and I can say that one need a very bad situation similar to mine were the antisway of the hitch is overwhelmed to activate the system

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:40 AM   #4

Not good it happened at all, but good to hear an actual account of an event where you can verify it worked and worked well, to keep you safe.

I can't say for sure if Ford actually has any video footage that SHOWS what happens when that system kicks in, vs. just talking it about it being there, for your safety.

No matter, I'd not go without sway control on a hitch system and I'd bet Ford would second that, as well?
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #5

Only a resume https://www.me.ford.com/en/sau/techn...-sway-control/

Old 03-26-2024, 10:07 AM   #6

Devices like these, including anti-locking brakes, are all reactive and are only of value after a certain threshold of instability (or braking) that is potentially dangerous has occurred or is occurring. Anti-sway hitches, proper loading, and similar aspects are pro-active and done to keep such an adverse condition from ever occurring in the first place. IMO, these devices are not bad to have at all, but they are not a substitute for taking pro-active measures.

I would also add, these stability control devices would be much more effective if they could control the trailer wheels independently. Perhaps some can control the trailer brakes as a unit, but I am not aware of any trucks that can even do that. Maybe one day they will be able to do so. ~CA
Old 03-26-2024, 10:39 AM   #7

I totally agree, no one should rely only on the Trailer stability system and frankly no one should put itself in a situation were the system can be triggered ... i know now that i was pushing a bit the day that the system came on ....

Btw im leaving Mission Texas Monday morning , wind prediction is steady 16mph sse with gust to 20mph . Its always windy here its hard to pick a day with less wind than that

That should not be too bad and pretty good for my fuel consumption .

Old 03-26-2024, 10:50 AM   #8

My pucker factor increases significantly at around 25~30+ mph winds. However, I also check the forecast and determine the wind direction in relation to my travel plans. A 30mph head or tail wind is not as concerning as a crosswind (regarding wind causing sway). Each setup is different though so that needs to be taken into consideration. ~CA
Old 03-26-2024, 11:01 AM   #9

Am i riding a unicorn that I dont know however heavy wind gust to a point are more impressive than dangerous if the trailer is loaded properly with a decent hitch like the equalizer 4.

I think we are pushed around more than really swaying side to side like we are seeing in some
video and i mean truck & trailer as one unit

Well 5 days on the road ahead for us ... we pray for low wind and a troublefree trip back home 2500 miles to go lol