Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Auto-level vs Electric Stabilizers

I'm fairly certain my next trailer will be a Travel Trailer Eagle HT. After years of cranking down manual stabilizers (I have 6) I am certain I at least want the push-button electric extending stabilizers.

My question is between the electric extend, and the full on Auto-Level system, which is better for trailer stability when set up? I'd like to hear from those that have experience with either or both, which do you prefer and why?
Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Here's a link that I found while I was searching for ways to better stabilize my 5th Wheel while camping....auto levelers and 5th wheel stability - General RV Information - Escapees Discussion Forum ..... I had the same problem with our previous 18ft A-liner TT...since manufacture state that the frame was not to be lifted off the ground completely - not designed for that, I blocked with sturdier tire chocks, then thought about bracing the fram with 2x4s cut with notch to fit against the frame at an angle to help with the side to side motion... but we went to a 5th wheel recently and never got the chance to test the 2x4 thought out completely... as for the auto-levelers, I have been told, and read, that these are for basic leveling only, and not to really stabilize the movement of the trailer since one shouldn't use those to lift the tires off the ground - where most of the trailer movement comes from...the suspension system...etc. so adding side to side stabilizers to the landing gear helps some...but most reduced when I added the X-Chocks to stabilize the wheels... next I am going to add this Valterra general purpose RV stabilizer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 we'll see where we get from there.... also working on larger wood stabilizer feet pads so the stabilizers do not have to extend as far - I read that will help on motion reduction some as well...... no for set up, I am sold on the auto-level system, would not have it any other way - simple, mostly worry free as long as your site doesn't have too many unlevel spots, etc where the landing gear/stabilizers have to extend to far, etc... set the pad blocks, press auto level and let it do it's thing while you work other things around the RV for setup, etc...of course keeping an eye on the auto-leveling while doing so, and not touching or entering the camper while it is auto-leveling...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #3

My neighbor has a Sonoma 28’ and we have a 28’ Jayco. He has the electric and we have the manual. We camp all the time together so I have some perspective. The angle the auto-stabilizers end up create a much more rigid trailer compared to the straight down sizzer Jacks. I bought some aftermarket sizzor jacks that are double the thickness and have much bigger mounting bolts. They improved things a lot over the cheap stuff but no where near as nice as the auto unit. My next trailer will have the auto unit.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 AM   #4

I have a 44' Northpoint with a 6pt Ground control 3.0 leveling system on it. All I do is hit the auto level button and let it do its thing. When it's done my trailer is solid. It doesn't move, wiggle, shake, ...
My buddy has a 35' Eagle 29.5 and all his has is the rear electric stabilizer scissor jacks. He has to put scissor jacks between the wheels and a tripod on the front pinbox to stable his up. Ts not quite as solid an mine but it's pretty close.
You will never get rid of all of it.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

I have experience with both. Our 2016 324BHTS came with push button electric stabilizers front and rear. The trailer was fairly solid with the jacks extended, but still had some sway. I replaced them with Lippert's Ground Control TT auto leveling system. The leveling jacks are substantially thicker/stronger than the stabilizers and can support the full weight of the trailer. There is still a very slight movement if the kids are running around in the trailer, but it is significantly more ridged than with the old stabilizers. Auto leveling is the greatest
GraphiteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote