Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Bbq grill

I have a question on grilling while camping. What kind of grills do you typically want to get? I just bought a Coleman sportster grill and now having second thoughts on if it will be big enough for us. Any thoughts would be helpful thank you
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Shorty120377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Church
How many is "us" could help you answer the question. Have a grill half the size and have no problems cooking for 4-6 people, all depends on what's cooking and how you plan.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Rob Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Church View Post
How many is "us" could help you answer the question. Have a grill half the size and have no problems cooking for 4-6 people, all depends on what's cooking and how you plan.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Sorry we have 4 constantly but 6 on rare occasions (when the 18 year old and boyfriend thinks it's ok to hang out with mom and dad)
Shorty120377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:46 AM   #4

More grill!

I can't say I have seen the "Sportster" before... But in the pics on the box, it looks like it might be a little dainty for 6 adults. But that depends on what you are cooking as well. When I go out with the boys I need all of my Coleman XL to fit our Costco size T-Bones. But if it is the family I am camping with, 6 Fillies would fit no problem on your grill... Of course it does not look like there would be room left to BBQ the veggies

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Return that piece of garbage grill. I have one and hate it. All it is is two circle burners under the grill area. That's great if you want to boils a pot of water but not good if you are grilling food. The parts of the food over the burner will burn before the parts over the edge of the grill area are cooked. Very uneven heating. I have replaced it with a Weber Baby Q 2000.

Edit: My grill was the Coleman Road Trip. Maybe this one is better.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

I use a Weber Baby Q, no probs cooking for 4. With careful placement I can grill for more.

http://www.lowes.com/pl/Portable-gas...ent=4294963688
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Return that piece of garbage grill. I have one and hate it. All it is is two circle burners under the grill area. That's great if you want to boils a pot of water but not good if you are grilling food. The parts of the food over the burner will burn before the parts over the edge of the grill area are cooked. Very uneven heating. I have replaced it with a Weber Baby Q 2000.

Edit: My grill was the Coleman Road Trip. Maybe this one is better.
Have to disagree. We have used our road trip colman for 6+ years and it has served us well. To each their own but for travel and camping it is the best we have ever had. Easy to stow, easy to set up, and folds up in a flick of the wrist. The heavy grates heat up and sear a steak or burger and the relative small size often is called on to feed 6 or more people. You just have to be creative and not try to throw it all on at the same time. 95% of the time its just the 2 of us but when friends stop over it still gets the job done.

People tend to have favorites and the road trip grill is not my choice for my home grill. For the camper it is perfect and I would highly recommend it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I use a Weber Baby Q, no probs cooking for 4. With careful placement I can grill for more.

Shop Portable Gas Grills at Lowes.com
I love my Webber Q! Converted it to hook up to quick connect on the 5er. I consistently cook for 6 on it and have had no problems running out of space.

Also....be on the look out for end of summer clearances on grills! I got my Webber Q2000 for $75 at Home Depot...end of summer clearance!!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

We have used our Nexgrill for years and would buy another.

The Nexgrill 2-Burner Tabletop Gas Grill is the true outdoor companion. Now enjoying the great outdoors does not mean you have to sacrifice all the comforts of home. At only 25 pounds, this ultra-lightweight gas grill is ideal for your next outdoor adventure. A built-in handle and foldable legs on the Nexgrill gas grill allows you to conveniently carry it along on the go for any outdoor adventure. Its durable stainless steel firebox and cooking grid ensures that it will last a long time through multiple uses. It features a push-and-turn ignition that is easy to use. This Nexgrill 2-Burner Tabletop Gas Grill is easy to clean. It grills great and makes the ideal appliance for all of your outdoor cooking needs. The grill grate is very solid and heavy and heats well to sear your food.

Nexgrill 2-Burner Tabletop Gas Grill:
251 sq in of total cooking area
15-burger capacity
20,000 total BTUs
Equipped with 2 burners
Stainless steel tabletop gas grill burners
Stainless steel wrapped cooking grids
Features a push-and-turn ignition
Nexgrill gas grill color: silver
5-year warranty on stainless steel burners, 1-year limited warranty on stainless steel and other parts

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Team

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--marine-kettle-2-gas-grills--P015_452_001_522?recordNum=17[/URL] Just throwing out what we've been using for years. A little pricey, but has lasted for about nine years so far. Did have to replace the regulator last season, but West Marine had them on the shelf at their store. We.ve cooked for anywhere from two to six people with it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #11

I have one. Got a good deal at Target on sale for under $100. The rvq wasn't cutting it. We bought it after our first trip. It has only 1 control for the burners as the roadtrip has 2, 1 for each side. I feel it still performs well. We easily cook for 5 on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #12

Weber Q200. Best purchase ever. We have a travel cart for it when we camp and then a larger, heavier duty cart which we use it on at home. Love that it is good enough to use as home grill too.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #13

Bought a Nexgrill from Home Depot and love it. Mine's a little smaller that the one Larry G. described but has about all the same features. Easy to convert to quick connect for hooking up to trailer gas line. Two burners and all stainless steel. Very portable and lightweight. Costco also has one for $100.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #14

I have had a Coleman Road Trip Classic Grill - Blue, for about 5 years and love it. I often cook for 6 or more. Some how I was elected official HOT DOG cooker for our RV club. On those occasions I can put a bunch of dogs on the grill.at one time, enough to feed 15 people. But when OI use it for steaks or hamburgers or just about anything else it has plenty of grilling space. It comes with 1 grill and I griddle but you can buy the other to match. I have a full size griddle that I use to make pancakes of hash browns.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #15

We have the roadtrip LXE as well, and have used it for 3 years.
It works well for us.
Common Complaints I've heard and my opposite experiences:
*Hot spots and burns food - I usually have the flame turned down and haven't experienced the burning. Yes, parts of the grill are hotter but if you pay attention while cooking it has not been a problem for me.
*Gets dirty and hard to clean - I never understood this one. Yes, grease gets on the steel below the grates, but just wipe it up with paper towels and a scrubby when you are done. I thought it was easy to clean...but you DO need to clean it, and not just leave it forever.
*Can't be hooked up to low-pressure quick connect - Not true. There are several videos that show you how to do this and now even a commercial product that you can buy to do the conversion. (It is easy, and I've done it).
*Can't cook with the lid down - again, I've done this but you cannot have the burners turned up all the way when you put the lid down.

*I like the fact that I can grill meat, or make pancakes on the griddle or make soup or coffee on the stove burner. One grill that is versatile for many uses.
*As others have said, it folds down easily and I have the bag with wheels that I store it in.

I'm sure there are other grills that may be better at doing one thing (like grilling!), but this grill/griddle/outdoor stove works for me because one device does several things pretty well.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:46 AM   #16

We love our Weber Q 2200! We use it for nearly everything, and Weber has always been an excellent company when we have needed service.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #17
Site Team

Not to beat it to death but I took one look at the RVQ that came with my rig, $200.00 option, and my first response was how nice!

After a couple uses my thought changed to what a piece of junk at this price.

The rv industry could do MUCH better if they were serious about a grill option.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Grill-Z...GXSMII6CLZASBY

is the grill I have, works great for the 5 of us!

When the kids get older I'm going to have to upgrade everything, including the TT!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #19

Buy yourself a Blackstone!

If you have the space, id recommend a blackstone product! I have the 36" griddle and just this year bought the "grill box accessory" for it. It is a little pricey and I have to admit a little bulky, but I have cooked for 18-25 guys with it. You wont be disappointed! Be sure to check out Griddle Guru - Griddles, Grills, Stoves, and Ovens for more details!

Also, a couple others here have one, here is the link http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...dle-18027.html

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Here is something that will make you sick. I saw one of those Blackstone griddles on the side of the road for the trashman last week.

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/p...ddle-4-burner/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote