Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
BJR

Coleman Mach 3 A/C Fix

Background
This time last year I was washing the 287BHSW and noticed some staples printing through the roof material. It was still under warranty so I brought it into the dealer in the fall to see how they would fix it. Long and the short of it is I got a whole new roof - problem solved. The warranty on the repair was 90 days.

Issue
The issue started a few weeks back when we camped for the first time this season and the A/C could not even cool the camper down to outside temp. I carry an A/C probe thermometer with me but I could tell the air was barely chilled. The condensate running off the roof was very low. I wasn't sure if this problem was new since the new roof or if it never really cooled well. We have a single, ducted 13.5BTU unit and we camp in the Northeast.

At first, I considered upgrading it to a 15k unit to help out. What I did next saved me the trouble and expense.

Remedies
First things first, when we were out I took the cover off and found that the foam separator between the two compartments (return and output) was half off and there was bleeding between the two sides. This made output low and was not efficient cooling. I taped the foam piece in place as shown and the volume of air probably doubled.

Second, when I took off the plate on the duct side I noticed that the ducts coming into the plenum were not sealed at all which meant I was sending conditioned air into the attic. I taped those up so there were no gaps into the structure.

Next, I took a dusting vacuum attachment and vacuumed the fins of the evaporator from the inside.

Finally, last week in this thread Inglysh commented on the placement of the copper wire from the thermostat. As you can see in my pictures, the copper wire was bent over to the output side making the unit non-functional. As soon as it would kick on and start sending cold air, it would shut down because it thought it was satisfied. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Results
I am more than pleased after last weekend. The volume of cold air is substantially improved and it's much cooler in the camper. There is still more work to do, insulating the outside plenum, etc, but we are happy with the results.

My advice? If you're having issues start with tuning up the unit like I did. I'm handy but I had never even given a second thought to how RV air conditioners work or what might make them better. These fixes were easy and relatively free.
Attached Thumbnails
20180528_195853.jpg   20180528_200357.jpg   20180528_201343.jpg   20180528_200610_2.jpg   20180528_201836_2.jpg  

20180528_200951_2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

Are these photos all taken from the inside of your trailer looking up[ at the Air Conditioner?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Are these photos all taken from the inside of your trailer looking up[ at the Air Conditioner?
10-4, all work was done from inside the camper.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Might not be a bad idea just to take a look even if you think your ac is working properly.A few months back we pulled all the directional ac vents in the ceiling. We opted for spray foam seal gaps between ceiling and ac duct.No big improvement couldn't hurt! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

Good suggestion to remove the inside cover an patch those holes with hvac tape you can get at big box like HD or Lowes. I did that once when mine failed. My coils were frozen. Phoned my RV service tech back home and he talked me thru some checks. Turns out that a little wire going no where was hanging down in the open. That wire was a temperature probe that fell off the coil. I replaced it on the coil at the suggested location after it thawed. All was well.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Amazing how many threads over time showing poor workmanship from the Jayco Factory!Clearly no one is looking, better yet no one cares!Out of sight out of mind.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Yeah, new item for me.....
Water pump stopped. problem solved: One of the pumps 2 wires just falls off, likely due to a wire connector that bent to become too loose. Problem is the wire is on the side facing the outside wall with about 10 in clearance and deep under cabinet. Fixed it once.....hard to get to.