Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Condensation Problem

I was wondering? I have a 2015 x213 and I am full time living in new York long island . The problem seems that every morning I wake up there seems to be condensation at the bottom 3 inches of the back wall of the slide out just below the headboard behind my mattress. This is mostly when it its really cold out. I keep the temp at about 66 degrees. But when it is less than 32 outside there is 3 inches at the bottom that is cold and wet and the rest of the way up is warmer and dry. does anyone else have this problem and did you find a way to stop it?
Home Sweet Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Sweet Home View Post
I was wondering? I have a 2015 x213 and I am full time living in new York long island . The problem seems that every morning I wake up there seems to be condensation at the bottom 3 inches of the back wall of the slide out just below the headboard behind my mattress. This is mostly when it its really cold out. I keep the temp at about 66 degrees. But when it is less than 32 outside there is 3 inches at the bottom that is cold and wet and the rest of the way up is warmer and dry. does anyone else have this problem and did you find a way to stop it?
Make sure you use you bath exhaust after showering, and use your range hood when cooking. You need to the moisture out. Also a small fan on that area will help evaporate moisture before it can condensate. Air at 66 can hold much more moisture than air at 32, hence it condensates out. The fan will help keep the temperature more even.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #3

I haven't showered inside yet ( have a place for that) And no need to cook inside yet (also a place for that) . But yet another good suggestion .I'm just watching tv and sleeping. Its about the only place this does this . Even the windows aren't collecting water like this. I have spoke to Jayco and had them send me the schematics of the wall and it seems to be one piece of foam board insulation. its only the bottom 3 inches side to side of the back wall. I do have a fan blowing into the slide out and keep the mattress away a tiny bit for circulation and still cold ,wet even frost when it was 6 degrees out
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

I bet there is a piece of steel or aluminum right there and it is conducting the cold through the wall. You could contact Jayco with your vin number and ask for the wall construction details, to confirm.

I always recommend leaving a roof vent cracked open a 1/2 to 1 inch during the cold months so the moisture has a place to exit the TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

I have ask for the spec's and there are steel straps but the first one is 5 inches from the bottom and this is the bottom 3 inches. But I am going to leave the bath vent open a little from now on to see if that helps. Thanks
Old 01-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

Condensation

I'm surprised you aren't seeing it elsewhere, i.e, on the windows and in the window tracks also. Anytime you have heat on the inside and cold on the outside you are subject to have condensation all over the place. I have the JFlight metal exterior and believe me there is very little insulation between the walls. I have had condensation on my B/R walls to the point it was almost running down. Best thing is to get a 20 or 30 gallon Dehumidifier and run it 3 or so hours each day. You never know how much moisture is collecting between the walls. Wal/Mart, order online and pick up in the store.

Works for me.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

You mentioned the steel strap is 5" up from the bottom. I wonder if the insulation was left out below the strap? Possibly drill a small inspection hole where it won't be seen.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

This product placed under the mattress will eliminate the moisture as it allows air movement. There is a similar product used on boats with very good success, a member on this forum found this item, its a vented underlayment for home construction. He and others have used it and it works great.

Cedar Breather Underlayment from Benjamin Obdyke | Benjamin Obdyke
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #9

I thought it was strange too . But the dehumidifier is a good idea Thanks MOHOK1
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #10

I had called jayco and had them send me the schematics of the wall and they told me that it is one piece of foam board that is 34 3/4 by 76 1/8 precut and that they would have seen if it was short because it gets laid in first then the wallboard goes on top.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

You might try taping some aluminum bubble insulation to that wall on the inside. I've had good luck using it on the inside of windows to minimize condensation. Some people use shipping type air bubble plastic.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_camper View Post
You might try taping some aluminum bubble insulation to that wall on the inside. I've had good luck using it on the inside of windows to minimize condensation. Some people use shipping type air bubble plastic.
X2 - I would try to just slide a piece of insulation between the bed and wall so you can remove when it warms up outside.

Solution #2 - move south!!!!

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #13

I smile at this. I agree in an ideal world what they described is correct. However, sometimes what happens in the real world and the ideal world are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Sweet Home View Post
I had called jayco and had them send me the schematics of the wall and they told me that it is one piece of foam board that is 34 3/4 by 76 1/8 precut and that they would have seen if it was short because it gets laid in first then the wallboard goes on top.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote