Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #21

spoon059 you hit on something I was wondering about."Now on to quality... unless you buy an Airstream you are buying a pile of crap." Airstreams are 90,000 dollar rigs but are they really worth it. They certainly appear to be built well and their resale value is much better than any other trailer. Is an Airstream a good investment for a retired couple. You can't take your money with you.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
Airstreams are 90,000 dollar rigs but are they really worth it.
Are they? Yes, they are well built. I walk into them at every RV show. Very cool trailers, but for us they feel antiseptic and claustrophobic. I don't feel like I could relax in one. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, any kind of money really, I want to feel like I'm in my second home, not the doctor's office.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
we are looking at this exact same unit. we have a Ford F150 so I am hoping it's going to be enough to pull it. on paper it is. but from what I am reading, that's not always enough. our tow limit is 7700 lbs. the 2016 elite is going to run us about 6700 or 6800 lbs so about a thousand to spare roughly. On paper. of course we'll be adding stuff to it, but not likely a thousand pounds worth. This is a far more stressful decision than I ever anticipated..
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you will not be happy towing this trailer with that truck. It's really not a limb because I'm fairly confident in that assessment. If your tow limit is truly 7700 lbs (which is mostly meaningless in the world of RVs), then your payload is likely to be pretty low too; perhaps 1200-1400 lbs? Look in the door jamb to be sure. There are plenty of discussions on this forum about towing capacities (and the more important payload capacities) and figuring all of that out; I would start with the CAT scale if I were you.

All that being said, I'll reiterate; if you buy the 28BHBE, I'd bet my dinner (and I get downright unpleasant when I'm hangry) you'll be upgrading the truck fairly soon after. I've been there and done that. My truck had the capacity on paper, and I worried about it every day I hooked my trailer up to it. My GMC had 1500 lbs payload, 9600 lbs towing capacity, and I was at max capacity or slightly over on payload every time I towed it, and at the time my trailer weighed in at about 7600 lbs. That and the 5.3L engine with 6 spd transmission and HD towing package was ... well, let's just say it wasn't very confidence inspiring. I could tow it, and it was safe, but that was about it; I worried constantly about weights, and it was HARD on that truck.

Trust me when I say, you do not want to be operating at the maximum capacities. In my situation, we had a son, so the weight increased seemingly exponentially almost immediately. And there was my discomfort with operating on the margin when my entire world is riding around in that tin can with me.

I upgraded my truck, and now life is grand again!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Are they? Yes, they are well built. I walk into them at every RV show. Very cool trailers, but for us they feel antiseptic and claustrophobic. I don't feel like I could relax in one. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, any kind of money really, I want to feel like I'm in my second home, not the doctor's office.
+1

Couldn't agree more. I don't see the attraction for that money. They may be quality built trailers with absolutely excellent support, but they just feel ... wrong. If that makes sense ...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #25

Our only regret with the Jayco Jayflight was that I didn't upgrade from a F150 to a F250... going up hill at 45 mph was no fun! Oh well, live and learn!

The only "investment" involved with a RV is that you are investing in MEMORIES.

It will make you feel a LOT BETTER if you take the Jayco Factory Tour, and meet some of the great folks there. We've done it twice, once with the Jayflight trailer, and once with the Redhawk Motorhome.

Enjoy, and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #26

In August 2014, we bought a used 2012 Jay Feather Ultralite x20e, which sleeps 8 if need be although it would be a bit cramped. I don't recall the previous owner saying he had any major problems with it during the 2-year warranty period. We've hauled the trailer to local parks a few times, a campground 2-3 hours away several times and a major 1100-mile trip in June, and we've had no problems with the trailer.

This is our first TT, so I can't compare its quality to older models. Friends who have been trailer camping for decades warned us before we bought that this would be a responsibility just like owning a home -- things need fixing every once in awhile.

People who would describe some of this trailer's construction as "cheap" are probably correct, but I don't believe these items are unsafe or unreliable. The plastic parts do look and feel cheap. For example, I was cleaning the trailer exterior and easily but unintentionally knocked off the plastic locking piece on the door to the sewer hose storage compartment, but I could reinstall it. The fresh water tank cap is plastic, not a metal, lockable piece, which seems an invitation to mischief. Also, the exterior, metal door for the water heater is held in place with a flimsy, flat metal tab that you turn to hold the door in place. I can correct all of these things if I want to. I'm glad, however, that these are not heavier, which would lower our gas mileage of about 9 mpg (we have a 2010 Chevy Suburban as a tow vehicle).

The trailer exterior, cabinets, sofa and foldout tent beds at each end, however, are solid enough to be safe.

While towing a trailer as a "test drive" might not be practical, you can examine the trailer thoroughly before buying. There are plenty of online checklists to guide you in scoping out a trailer's quality and making sure everything works. Operate the slideouts. Open the drawers and cabinets. Open faucets and windows. Set up bedding and dining areas. Look inside everything. Examine caulking/sealant/joints. And if no new trailer meets your quality standards, then maybe an older one would be better for you.

If we buy another trailer, I'll be starting with Jayco.

Good luck!
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #27

We have an Eagle version of the BHBE. We love it, but it's not perfect. I see many fit and finish items that I'll have to redo. But I'm handy enough and really enjoy working on the trailer, so with good guidance on forums like these and some skills along the way, we are working to make the coach perfect for our family.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #28

Our 2015 Whitehawk 20MRB is our first Jayco but not our first trailer, we have had trailers of one kind or another since 1983. So far, the 20MRB has been a great rig, not without little problems but the dealer has handled all with a smile.

We pulled it from Seattle to your state and back, Ohiomom, 5400 miles and really, no problems. What we do like,, as has been mentioned here, is the two year warranty that Jayco offers.

Hope this helps in your decisions.

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #29

Well said spoon059!! We had a bad one and now we have good one sort of Luck of the draw.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #30

I bought new in 2014 (White Hawk 27RBOK - Summit & Glacier package) and thus far I'm happy with it. I've experienced a few problems but I think it's to be expected with any brand. Overall, the craftsmanship (fit & finish) and comfort is very good compared to four other brands I looked at during my research within my price range.

I did take it back to the dealership for warranty work within four months as the DVD player stopped working and there was a recall on the axles. This year in June, I noticed the outdoor fridge stopped working and the outdoor stereo speakers fell apart. Everything was fixed but it took several weeks.

WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote