Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #1

first time skylark owner - front kitchen layout

A drop over a year to go until retirement though figured I would take a change before then and get a used 2012 Skylark model. It does not have the roof a/c unit on it so that is a down side I guess. Had a chance to get a used 2011 with front bathroom though, right or wrong, felt that took up too much space plus liked the idea of a window in back that this unit has.

Most likely it will live up at the RV park in Helen GA...that place makes me think of that song ‘it’s a small...’ (sorry). It is though only 1 hr from my brothers place in NC so that is why.

Will see if having the RV membership there is enjoyable or if I will feel like a trapped snail (uncertain just why that came to mind...rabbit would be nicer).

Anyway, thanks for any input. Plan, for the moment, is not to purchase any anti-sway bars as I only have to travel a drop over 2hrs to get the rv to the RV park for use/storage, Will be towing it with a awd ridgeline...cannot wait to see how the mpg drop like a rock using that ride though the ridgeline is a comfortable (2017 model) highway vechicle I have found.

Lord only knows what, if anything, i need to do to maintain the battery(s) while it is in storage. A cover for it might be nice though will be cash poor for 6 months will I pay off the purchase.
skylimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #2

I own a 2011 Skylark and we love it. We have the front kitchen version. My wife really likes the convection oven microwave. We have towed ours from Pennsylvania to Idaho and back with our 2012 Honda Pilot among other places with only a Reese sway bar. Trucks passing by can really push the front of the trailer around. Our Pilot gets between 10 to 14 mpg depending upon terrain and speed. We find it most comfortable to tow the trailer at 55-60 mph.

With regard to no roof mounted A/C, your heat pump should work just as well to keep you cool.

I have made several modifications to ours that you can read about here

I would advise you to check the tires before you travel as we had a tire fail after just 3 years and not a lot of mileage.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
can u not add a roof A/C? BTW, i think those trailers are awesome!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #4

My skylark came with the roof ac and glad it did. I now some owners are having issues with the heat pumps.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #5

We had our heat pump replaced the first year we owned it due to a refrigerant leak. We also had an issue with the second unit not wanting to start in heating mode. That was also replaced under warranty, but I had to call Dometic and tell them the problem because the dealer wouldn't. The second unit would false start 4-5 times before it would run in the heat mode. The third unit is working fine. The unit does a good job heating and cooling.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

I was doing some work on our trailer the other day and had occasion to remove the central roof vent screen. There is wiring already in place for a roof mounted A/C.