Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

First Time Travel Trailer user.... Electrical issues. 2015 Eagle

I just made my first purchase of a 2015 Jayco Eagle 338RETS that I'll be using for work only related purposes... I'm tired of paying 3x the normal rent rates just because a refinery is nearby.

So far so good, I love it. The floor plan is amazing and it is quite spacious.

When I purchased it the battery was dead so I purchased a new battery to get the jacks to work and what not.
The first week I spent cleaning it I used it on battery power extending the slide outs, deploying the jacks and what not... Well'p I drained the battery, towed it 4 hours to work and parked it at a local RV park that has both 50A and 30A supply

The panel now shows that the battery is fully charged on the panel although as of today which is my first night sleeping in I have noticed a few electrical issues.

I have no propane hooked up btw.

1st- the secondary AC unit in the bedroom does not turn on... I figured it may have been the capacitor or the climate control panel so I postponed to diagnose it.

2nd- as I was preparing to take a shower I turned on the switch for "Electric water heater" in the control panel... Waited about an hour and no luck. Cold water. (Button does illuminate when switched)

3rd- I turned the Norcold fridge to the "Auto" position.
The green power light illuminated and seconds after the yellow "Check Gas" light starts flashing sanctimoniously with the power light. Left it on overnight and no luck with it cooling.

4th- Microwave outlet gets no power

5th- Restroom GFCI outlet gets no power

That's the electrical issues I have. I checked everything else (all lights, TV, speakers, Main AC, slideouts, powerjacks, etc. all work perfectly fine)

Could this possibly be an issue with the inverter it's self? I know it has a Inteli-Power 4500 Series

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
E710FC24-5DDC-4C7B-9735-52D3AC5800CF.jpg  
LethalLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #2

Lethal,

Your’e probably not going to want to hear this, but with all those various issues I think I would call a mobile tech to your location and have him give it a good going-over.

Were all those systems working when you bought it?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Lethal,

Your’e probably not going to want to hear this, but with all those various issues I think I would call a mobile tech to your location and have him give it a good going-over.

Were all those systems working when you bought it?
According to the previous owner they were. It had been parked for 5 months with no use under a shed when I bought it. Only thing I have done is replace the battery, is there a main inverter/converter area in these RVs? I have basic understanding of electrical system if I can find a wiring diagram as I have done tons of remote start/alarms on vehicles and many Standalone’s for LSX based engine swaps on older vehicles.
I haven’t had time to check every fuse and voltage but i’ll Start from there after work.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Are you sure you even have power? everything thing you say works are 12V items and the TV could be running off the inverter. you seem to have no AC power at all. Is the breaker even turned on at the box? Why do you have the refrigerator on “Auto” when you have no propane? Sounds like it has no AC power and is trying to switch over to propane

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Are you sure you even have power? everything thing you say works are 12V items and the TV could be running off the inverter. you seem to have no AC power at all. Is the breaker even turned on at the box? Why do you have the refrigerator on “Auto” when you have no propane? Sounds like it has no AC power and is trying to switch over to propane
That’s what I was pinpointing, I’m sure the units are not bad it has to be power related. I’m plugged into a 50A shore outlet. I attached the picture in my first post. All breakers are flipped to the on position unless there is another one that I do not know of.
The refrigerator only has 3 positions
Auto-Off-Gas although when I set it to auto both the power light and “check gas” light start flashing
Old 09-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #6

Turn all the breakers off and back on. Also have park check to be sure you have power to both sides of the outlet on the power post. As to the fridge it takes a while to bleed the air out of the gas lines.

Your problem is definitely not a bad converter it is in your electric supply someplace.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Sounds like you do not have power to both power legs. is there power to both sides of the fuse panel as you said one air isn't working and 2 airs run on different opposite power legs. check the pedestal and see if you have both power to both legs and check the plug from the cord end to the socket on the camper and see if its fully inserted and clean.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Oh wow... makes absolute sense. Everything to the right of the circuit breaker is exactly what is not working. GFCI outlets, Microwave, 2nd AC, water heater and fridge.
I’ll verify when I get home.

2014 Jayco Eagle 338RETS | Custom Luxury Cabinets | ProPride 3P hitch
2017 F-150 Limited: Upgraded turbos | Downpipes | E85 | HPTuners tuned | McGaughys 8" Lift | Fox Coilovers| Roadmaster suspension | Airlift Ride Control | Add-A-Leaf | Rotora 15.4" Carbon ceramic 6-piston big brake kit | Moser Axles | 22x12 Forged wheels | TOYO Open Country AT II Extreme 35x13.5r22
Old 09-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

I'm confused, are you normally parked with shore power or not? Because you'll need propane for fridge and water heater if you don't have shore power.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
I'm confused, are you normally parked with shore power or not? Because you'll need propane for fridge and water heater if you don't have shore power.
Yes sir shore power. 50A
Old 09-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You'll have to test every step. At the pedestal you should have 2 legs of 110 Volt between neutral. The same is at your panel on the incoming breaker. From there you can do more testing on each breaker or on the 12 volt side the fuses and the odd breaker.

To determine the cause you have to know about electrical circuits.

Good luck and happy camping!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Thanks guys! I’m glad it wasn’t nothing major. Started at the post and immediately found the problem. Checked for AC voltage and sure another it was supplying 250V combined and 125V individually.
Looked at the cable and one prong had a corrosion film. Cleaned it with a wire brush and now everything works perfectly
Attached Thumbnails
93335E24-16FD-4137-B592-DE49AF46542B.jpg  
Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #13

Great to hear you resolved the issue!
Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLimited View Post
Thanks guys! I’m glad it wasn’t nothing major. Started at the post and immediately found the problem. Checked for AC voltage and sure another it was supplying 250V combined and 125V individually.
Looked at the cable and one prong had a corrosion film. Cleaned it with a wire brush and now everything works perfectly

We had the same issue once glad it worked out.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #15

Glad to hear, sounds like all systems are go. When I had the same issue about a year ago I ended up tracing it to the main recepticle on the trailer where it receives the power from the pedastal. One of the wires connections had come lose, thus no power to the TT at all.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote