Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Furnace

2018 Jayco jay flight with Atwood furnace. Blower kicks on but doesn’t ignite or even try to. After 30 seconds blower kicks off. Getting propane to the stove top and hot water heater do I don’t think it’s a gas issue. I stay in it during the week for work and have already put up skirting etc so not really wanting to tear it down to haul back to dealer if I don’t have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Lineman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Check for insect nests of dead ones in the ignition area and exhaust flue and check the air flow switch. If the switch doesn't make to indicate air is flowing the furnace won't attempt to ignite.

Also check out this other Thread with similar furnace issues
Old 01-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

I have a 2019 Jayco Jayfeather 28RL and am having the same issue. The fan would come on but it would not ignite. I checked voltage at the batter, getting 14.1 volts. I went as far as pulling the unit out of the trailer, taking it to the dealer and having them check it out and they said it checked out just fine. I brought it back to the trailer, re-installed it and it kicked right on. The only thing I did different is switch over to a 100 pound propane bottle from a 20 pound. Now, about two hours later, it is doing the same thing again!!!!! Fan turning on, clicking trying to ignite but no ignition then it kicks off. I don't know what else to do. Can propane freeze? I don't know anything about propane systems.
Laminack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Thank you us71 the air flow switch your talking about is that the sail switch? I’ve never personally had propane freeze laminack but I’m in Ohio. Last winter it stayed in the lower teens about a month and I had no issues. I also use 100 lb tanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 PM   #5

Can't help with the problem but propane's freezing point is -306F.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Can't help with the problem but propane's freezing point is -306F.
True, but the system will likely stop functioning if the temperature drops below -43.6°F (-42°C), the boiling point of propane.

There have been a lot of issues with the control boards. When my furnace acted like yours I was lucky because cleaning the ground connection as well as the board connections mine started working again. Start simple.

If it turns out to be the control board Amazon sells a Dinosaur Electronics board that others claim is much better than the factory one.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman75 View Post
Thank you us71 the air flow switch your talking about is that the sail switch? I’ve never personally had propane freeze laminack but I’m in Ohio. Last winter it stayed in the lower teens about a month and I had no issues. I also use 100 lb tanks.
Yes, the sail switch.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

I am having the same problem. I have a 2018 Jayco jay flight SLX 8. My furnace is under the couch and not accessible, encased in a box and I don't see any way to it without cutting something. Were you able to fix your problem and how did you get to the furnace?
Campernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

My furnace was easy to access but the rv guy had to take it out. Had the issue twice both times it was sail switch not operating properly. Haven’t had any issues since the second time he took it out so fingers crossed. I’m waiting on a/c to stop working next lol
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

I had the same problem with my furnace in my 174BH. It is the enclosed type, so had to remove the dinette bench to check the fault indicator which said there was an air flow fault.

I pulled the fuse, turned off the propane and ran the stove to purge the gas. Then I removed the gas line from the furnace and turned it upside down to get to the sail switch. There was enough slack on the low voltage wires to not have to cut any of them.

When I took out the sail switch, it had a clump of hair and dust stuck around it. Once I cleaned it and re-installed it, the furnace worked perfectly.

With the furnace under the dinette bench and the only air intake coming from the front, there is a lot of opportunity for dust/hair/debris to get into the intake and cause the sail switch to give a false air flow report. That sail switch is very sensitive!

Hope this helps somebody!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #11

Ditch the furnace and get a big buddy catalytic heater... better heat less propane. Just remember to crack open a roof vent 1/4".. I have been using my BB for 8 years now.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #12

Jayco furnace issue

My furnace blows but won't ignite. I'm thinking it's blocked due to a pest taking my trailer insulation and making a nest preventing a good flow so that the switch won't let it ignite. Reason being when it blows some insulation came blowing out the heat outlet. Youay have the same problem. I will try and fix within the next 2 weeks myself with the assistance of youtube videos.
Fireside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:21 PM   #13

Sail switch is what it sounds like to me. I had this problem with my forest river a few years ago. On battery power the blower could never make enough air flow to flip the switch so the burner wouldn’t ignite. When I was plugged in there was enough juice and it was never a problem. To bypass the problem I would take off the front cover of the furnace. This allowed air to blow directly into the trailer and not through the normal vents. This less restrictive path proved it was a sail switch issue and once the heater got running I would screw the front of it back on again. You could try this out to see if yours works. With a less restrictive path your switch should flip.
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #14

I have had this problem twice on my 2018. The first time was under warranty and the dealership fixed it. There was some pet hair that got trapped on the sail switch. The second time I fixed it myself and again it was the sail switch, but there was nothing on it. I just took the sail switch out, inspected it, and reinstalled it and it worked just fine since.
pmfinnegan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #15

Atwood Furnace Issues

I have also experienced similar issues. I have tried the following...
1. Clean dust and hair from fan and sail switch
2. Remove/clean the circuit board and reinstall

I am still getting the same error. My next step is to see how much the dealer will charge to replace the circuit board. I have a feeling I will be trying the dino board from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with them?
Youngstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown View Post
I have also experienced similar issues. I have tried the following...
1. Clean dust and hair from fan and sail switch
2. Remove/clean the circuit board and reinstall

I am still getting the same error. My next step is to see how much the dealer will charge to replace the circuit board. I have a feeling I will be trying the dino board from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with them?
Taking out the sail switch and cleaning it does not always fix the issue. It could be broken. Have you taken it and checked for continuity with a multimeter?

If you are at high elevations the air does not have as much density. The air flow can have issues engaging the switch.

Lubing the switch can help today, but long term the lube will attract dirt and make it worse.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #17

If I remember correctly I had an issue like this. Turned it on went outside and covered the exhaust hole, it fired. Something about pressure. Not sure how it worked, but it worked. Can't remember if this was furnace or hot water.

Give it a shot, what can you loose? cost is right
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #18

Just my 2 cents had a similiar situation wood blow but not light dealer removed unit bench tested worked fine ended up being dirty corroded battery cable

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote