Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Gas Pressure Issue

Hi folks,

I started a thread last year regarding this issue but haven't had the time to look at it until now, it still hasn't been resolved. I have a 2012 Jayco Jay series 1006 TT.

The main gas line passes through a regulator (or 2 as there are two regulators on the outside) into a distributor and then out to the various appliances. The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame. I checked all the valves, they were all open. Is it possible there is a busted valve only opening halfway or something? When I light the water heater, that thing goes so it cant be the main line or regulator. Thoughts?
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

A little more info would be helpful. Why do you have 2 regulators? Are they supplying separate appliances? Are they on the same line?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinofenotti View Post
Hi folks,

The line that resides outside to hook up the propane stove and/or BBQ emits the smallest amount of propane. I put both the BBQ and stove on high and it was the lowest flame.
Do you have a regulator on that hose that goes to the BBQ? If so, that's what's restricting the flow. That line should go directly from the quick connect to the grill, no regulator.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

I had a problem with my ondemand hot water and stove. I ran the hot water and the stove flame would drop down. I had the main regular replaced, problem solve.
MSG Coons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Do you have a regulator on that hose that goes to the BBQ? If so, that's what's restricting the flow. That line should go directly from the quick connect to the grill, no regulator.
What he said^^^. If your grill has a regulator, then you are stepping down the pressure to a point of malfunction. If your grill doesn't have it's own regulator, then the regulator between it and the propane is 99% certain your problem. Two regulators on the same line for your trailer, and I suspect there's been a modification or two by someone else if you bought it used.
Pictures, a diagram or just more info could be helpful.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Thanks for the reply. No, it's tank through 2 regs, then I to the splitter and out to the hot water tank at the front of the trailer, a lone in the middle for cooking inside and a line to the back for cooking outside. The hot water tank fires up at full flame....the others seem restricted.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
What he said^^^. If your grill has a regulator, then you are stepping down the pressure to a point of malfunction. If your grill doesn't have it's own regulator, then the regulator between it and the propane is 99% certain your problem. Two regulators on the same line for your trailer, and I suspect there's been a modification or two by someone else if you bought it used.
Pictures, a diagram or just more info could be helpful.
Sorry folks made an error, looks like only one regulator from the main line and then to a splitter to hot water, fridge, furnace, inside grill, outside grill. I've added some pics. No extra regulators on the distribution lines.
Attached Thumbnails
20200726_115932.jpg   20200726_120200.jpg  
Old 07-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

Just had a similar problem. Ended up being a problem with the quick connect. I found that the quick connect had a defect.

Here is the thread https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ume-70569.html
Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearsbehind View Post
Just had a similar problem. Ended up being a problem with the quick connect. I found that the quick connect had a defect.

Hey thanks! Read your thread and yup, sounds like the same issue and I too though it was intentionally restricted at the distribution point. I just need to figure out how to change a QDC on a gas line now and try that.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:

Yeah I'm thinking that could be the issue. Are those relatively easy to swap out?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #11

I think I recall it being a bit tricky due to the mounting bracket. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the steps for removal and replacement.

Turn off gas valves at the propane bottles before wrenching. After disassembly, Use Teflon pipe thread sealant on male threads before reassembly. A tiny bit of pipe dope (Teflon thread sealant) goes a long way don’t over do it. Keep the dope only on the threads, not the inside of hose or fittings or you may risk clogging/blocking flow.

Tighten up the new fitting and check for leaks with soapy water spray. Turn gas on, spray work area, look for bubbles. Bubbles = leak.

Mine had a three piece fitting assembly. The red lines in pic are the three pieces
Attached Thumbnails
A447B8F9-C1D9-4E5C-B1C5-F8A7004D2F79.jpg  
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
I think I recall it being a bit tricky due to the mounting bracket. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the steps for removal and replacement.

Turn off gas valves at the propane bottles before wrenching. After disassembly, Use Teflon pipe thread sealant on male threads before reassembly. A tiny bit of pipe dope (Teflon thread sealant) goes a long way don’t over do it. Keep the dope only on the threads, not the inside of hose or fittings or you may risk clogging/blocking flow.

Tighten up the new fitting and check for leaks with soapy water spray. Turn gas on, spray work area, look for bubbles. Bubbles = leak.

Mine had a three piece fitting assembly. The red lines in pic are the three pieces
Hey thanks for the tips here. The new QDC arrived today and I installed it (thanks for the step by step instructions and pic), problem solved! I can finally cook a meal in a reasonable time now! One thing I did to make it a bit easier is removed the mounting bracket from the underside which allowed me to get at it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:10 AM   #13

Excellent work. Glad you got it fixed. Now go cook some chow!

Tags
gas