Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #41

Thanks for the link,firepaul23, that is the “soft start” that I am talking about. 2 of those on your AC units will let both of them run off the 3500 generator that you have. Did you try to run both ACs with and without the soft starts you installed? I honestly don’t think that your AC units has factory soft starts like you installed (and removed). I would also think that when you had the cover off the units, if it has a factory soft start you would see it, on the schematic diagram if nothing else. Please don’t think that I am trying to disrespect you (or anyone else) I just want to learn. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepaul23 View Post
That stinks that you've had to replace already but your amp numbers are great - is your's a/c only or a a/c-heat unit? I'm not sure why there would be such drastic number differences if we had the same unit. The numbers the Coleman tech gave me when I spoke to him were accurate with what mine run at.
My unit is a/c only. I know that he used the clamp type amp/volt meter and everything tested as it should for a unit without coolant. That's really the extent of my knowledge versus his lol.
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #43
Wsw

Costco

I just bought 2 firman 3000 inverter generators from costco. On sale 599 each and they do gas or propane. I am looking forward to setting them up with the 1201 kit on or 40 foot 335 rlok.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #44

How can I determine if my units have the "soft start" already?

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #45

Just see if they will both run on a 30 amp circuit.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #46

Quote:
So, I have created more of a problem for myself in the pursuit of A/C-generator happiness. I too found out about the Soft Starts, and in a hurry to find a solution I ran out on Saturday and purchased two and installed them on my roof units. Both units are 15,000BTU. I had reached out to Coleman to try and get info on what the starting amps are for those - they finally replied to me today and within our discussion I learned that my units already have a Coleman Soft Start type system in them .... so I just wasted $600 and a few hours in the Arizona sun installing them. I have since removed them. Running amps for my two units is around 16amps each - they both start at around 18amps.
In regards to the Parallel Kit, there is NOT one made by Predator for the 3500 series generators, however, after researching I did find a Firman Parallel kit (1201) that will run two 3500 Predators. There is a great YouTube video on this. So for right now my only option if I am going to dry camp and in need of both A/C units .... I would need to do a 3500 Parallel.
Just a quick question, do you think Coleman was giving you a line of bull? Did the Coleman have capacitors in it because the soft start you put in didn't. If your Coleman units look just like the ones everyone else's inside I think they might be pulling your leg. Check the videos on Youtube and if the inside of your air conditioners look like all of them. Call the place you got the soft start from they can tell you if your unit came with soft start or not.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Just a quick question, do you think Coleman was giving you a line of bull? Did the Coleman have capacitors in it because the soft start you put in didn't. If your Coleman units look just like the ones everyone else's inside I think they might be pulling your leg. Check the videos on Youtube and if the inside of your air conditioners look like all of them. Call the place you got the soft start from they can tell you if your unit came with soft start or not.
Yes .... after spending some time and talking to multiple "knowledgeable" people, they were completely telling me incorrect information. I re-installed the soft starts on each of my A/C units.
firepaul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Yes .... after spending some time and talking to multiple "knowledgeable" people, they were completely telling me incorrect information. I re-installed the soft starts on each of my A/C units.
That's great at least you didn't lose any money on this. Hope it works on 30 amp power.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That's great at least you didn't lose any money on this. Hope it works on 30 amp power.
Thanks Bill, I'm relieved as well. I still have not had the opportunity to test. Up until now I have stayed at full hook-up locations and I still have the single generator. I have been looking into purchasing a Predator 2000/2500 and running it parallel with the 3500 and then try the two A/C's. I do know that the 2 A/C's do not work on a single Predator as the max Amp draw on the 3500 is listed as 25amps.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #50
Wsw

I got 2 firman 3200 gas, propane gens from costco. Put one on front. One one back. Got a conn tek 2 30 amp to 50 amp cord. Plug a 30 amp cord to each gen. Then to tt. Works fine. Need 2 acs run both. Otherwise just one. If in lr run front gen. Sleep run back gen. Daytime run both.

Easy peasy.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsw View Post
I got 2 firman 3200 gas, propane gens from costco. Put one on front. One one back. Got a conn tek 2 30 amp to 50 amp cord. Plug a 30 amp cord to each gen. Then to tt. Works fine. Need 2 acs run both. Otherwise just one. If in lr run front gen. Sleep run back gen. Daytime run both.

Easy peasy.
How's the noise level? This predator 3500 blows away anything remotely close to it including a lower wattage Honda. It really is outstanding.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #52

look in your AC and make sure the duct is connected and sealed up good on the AC unit. RV tech found i was loosing most of my cooling up in the ceiling.

i had the second AC on my unit installed so it runs on separate circuit with a 20 amp plug on the camper. so i run one ac on the factory 30 amp service. and the second on a separate plug and circuit 20 amp. a lot of campgrounds that only have 30 amp service also have a 20 amp plug so i can plug into both of those and use everything.

you may be able to pull the wire out of the fuse box that goes to one of the AC's and wire in a 20 amp breaker and plug to use just that one ac and you could use 2 generators that are not linked together.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
look in your AC and make sure the duct is connected and sealed up good on the AC unit. RV tech found i was loosing most of my cooling up in the ceiling.
That’s what I said a few pages back. Plus, with 2 SoftStart modules installed, the HF Predator3500 will easily run both units without a problem.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #54
Wsw

Firman gen

I just set my firman into the front rack of our 334rlok. I want to have something available just in case.

It fits good. I can carry another one on the back. I the use 2 30 amp cords to a 50 amp pigtail from amazon or cw. No parallel cord needed.

If I need it I can run 50 amps. If not just one. Front or back.
Attached Thumbnails
20201028_173231.jpg