Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #21

seriously- thx everyone. I thought because it was a small tingle I shouldnt worry, but my kids were in and out all the time and my daughter felt it. thank goodness it was discharging such a small amount.
I didnt know.

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #22

1 more question - ive done no research on this yet - so---

--- when I install this 30amp dedicated receptacle (w its own breaker)- am I able to plug my generator into it during power outages, or is that a completely different thing.

I suspect different and am going to research it now - but while the electrician is out breaking walls i should install that too

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #23

Completely different and probably illegal. That would allow back feed thru the power company transformer and pose a serious high voltage threat of injury or death to power company workers.

I suggest you find a licensed and bonded electrician to do your electrical work. Not some jackleg guy with no knowledge. Don't take advice about wiring from unknown folks on the internet. Several of the posts in this thread are wrong so get some real professional help.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post

--- when I install this 30amp dedicated receptacle (w its own breaker)- am I able to plug my generator into it during power outages, or is that a completely different thing.

I suspect different and am going to research it now - but while the electrician is out breaking walls i should install that too
UNQUESTIONABLY ILLEGAL and will NOT work properly!!!!

When you get an electrician in to fix your grounding issue, ask him or her about a "Transfer Switch". That is the only safe & legal way to connect a genset to a house.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #25

You may have just felt a little tingle but at 40 volts and a little rain it could have been a very different scenario. You can use the fluke, Kline or Southwire voltage detector to check for hot skin on your camper. They all do the same thing. The device that you plug into the receptacle will tell you if all wires are correct or not.
DHH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
I had my 30 amp plugged into (via adapter)one of those office plug strips, w THATplugged into the 15amp mains plug. ONCE I plugged the ext cord directy into mains I cant feel the electrical tingle anymore.
I would cut the plug off and toss that "office plug strip" in the nearest trash can as it is unsafe for any use.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #27

i washed the camper IN the rain- i live in so cal drought- so when it rained wed i soaped up the camper and let mother nature do the rinse,- OMG i had no idea what danger i was putting myself in.- thankyou for the slap on the head!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #28

I got the best rated electrician in my area w RV knowledge coming to install at the weekend- nevermind my reg handyman.

I got the 30 amp outdoor box w a 30 amp breaker ready to put into a fuse box slot.
thankyou forum for setting me straight!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #29

i couldnt get the fluke at my local HD (ordered it) but the klien tester i got lights up everything on the TT even the plastic siding --- even though i cant feel a thing to touch now- im on it and thanks for the warning!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #30
bap

Quote:

No you can't do that. The 30amp RV outlet is only 110volts and the 30amp Generator outlet is 240volts.

bap is offline   Reply With Quote