Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2022, 06:54 AM   #1

Insurance wants to total it - 24Rbs. I'm bummed.

Hello friends,

Well my Jayco days are short lived with this unit. Insurance tells me that if I take a lower settlement for the claim and keep the trailer, I must give them my title which they will reissue as a salvage title (the process to get "salvage" off the title is cumbersome). Either salvage title etc., or I let them total it out, take a higher amount and they take the trailer. I am taking the "totaled" option and moving along.

Here is my question: I am looking at something a bit shorter and a bit lighter. I am maxed out on my tow (7500lbs loaded, 700lbs tongue weight). I am interested in your opinions of what to look at (in terms of make/model). I am spending about $20K. My considerations are:

Length: Would like length not more than 22ft bumper to hitch.
Ideal weight: 4000 lbs loaded.
Dual Axel
Bedding: Walk around queen ideal/murphy bed option probably in play.
Dinette "booth" is fine as I need the extra space once in a while for bedding.
I suspect I am looking at fiberglass but, I need a slide out for floor space.
Year: Looking at pre-covid build model year 2019/2020 or earlier.

Brands I need feedback on: Rockwood (mini lite?), Winnie Minnie, others???
Suggestions appreciated for well made/respected brands like Jayco.

I was leaning towards an older model "egg" (Casita or Escape - can't afford an Oliver). However, I lose floor space needed for my furry friends and occasional grandkid. I began to look at older Lance TT models but my better half is leery of a trailer 8 years old (me not so much if something like a Lance but opinions welcome).

Thank you for reading and any replies. Blank slate sort of and I am considering my options. Any Jayco models come to mind given my desired options?

I am in Georgia/Southeast.

Tom
2004 Winnebago Sightseer Class A (retired)
1979 Holiday Rambler 5th Wheel (retired)
ThirstyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

something to consider if you find that next trailer that you can't live without: since you just got bit by the insurance company, for the next one consider stated value insurance. not every company offers it, but take my word, it makes your life much simpler if and when your trailer becomes a victim.

Without stated value coverage, which is not the same as replacement value or actual cash value, insurance companies total these things for chump money issues and beat you down with really bad compensation. They'll say they can't locate the parts or some other excuse to beat you up. Then they wholesale the thing over the phone, a guy with a tow vehicle pulls up and drives your trailer away. The insurance company never touches it and doesn't loose a dime.

I learned that the hard way. One time was all it took to get wise.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #3

Thx

This is pretty much exactly what happened. I was compensated what I paid for trailer and upped a bit to include sales tax I paid etc. Just wish it didnt happen.

My 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 24Rbs is not in bad shape and I have been using it since November (when it was STOLEN) in its current state. I purchased in October after a long search for make/model/condition/PRICE. It needs a new door, grab handle and trailer light cord is about all but the claim was increased because of some of the side panels (tree scratches???) included for removal/replacement (which I could live without being done). Insurance says they can get $8800 at auction and I take about 21K or keep it/salvage title and take about 12K. I paid 20K. The extra 1K covers my taxes/registration. At least I got covered in full.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #4

We had the 212qb model until we traded,up. It's a nice unit and has most of the things you want.
Factory weight was somewhere in the 4500 lb. range.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #5

Thx

Thanks for this info. Helpful. All the best! Safe travels (sincerely). TW