Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #241

For those looking to upgrade your roof fan. This has been $85 since I started watching it on Amazon about 3 weeks ago, it is down to under $60 right now.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DPJ3R...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Current Camper - 2019 Jayco 174BH
fisduki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #242

So since the package comes with 4 switches and I have plenty of strip LED left... I wired up under the sink.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_160008.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	63404

All of these are on the same circuit with a flip switch to cut it off since we store with all the doors open.
FTFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFW View Post
So since the package comes with 4 switches and I have plenty of strip LED left... I wired up under the sink.

Attachment 63404

All of these are on the same circuit with a flip switch to cut it off since we store with all the doors open.
That looks like it worked out really well! Nice job.
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #244

Just curious where you routed power from for that lighting. My 195RB has nothing I would consider "nearby".
DSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt View Post
Just curious where you routed power from for that lighting. My 195RB has nothing I would consider "nearby".
I initially tapped into the line supplying the hallway light outside the pantry. Snaked it through the ceiling to a small hole inside the pantry. Through a rocker switch there and then down the right side of the pantry because I had a gap at each shelf all the way to the floor that could take a wire and and led strip. From there I routed it to the back wall and then through the hole feeding the plumbing to under the sink. I just zip tied to the drainage pipe through the bottom pantry/utility area to make it eaiser to secure.

I looked at fishing a line down from the TV/12v panel above the sink in my rig... but that would have been a ton of work and there wasnt a ton of room and that area is crowded with coax.

Since I consider those bottom areas utility storage, I didn't care about aesthetics... I mean, you can see plumbing. With that said, you can't see the wires unless you crane your neck to see them.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
You got me curious so while bored and waiting on this hurricane to get here, I went outside and took a look at my axle. Mine still has the tags on it and it is rated at a 3500 pounds. I wonder if yours just happens to be different?
Same for my 2019 174BH, I have a 3500 lb axle as well.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Nice job. Looks great!

I did a similar cover using a wood cutting board from ikea and some 1x2 oak trim around the board.
This is exactly what my wife was asking me for! I don't really have any nice finishing tools for woodworking, but this looks like it would be rather easy to build!

Old 09-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisduki View Post
This is exactly what my wife was asking me for! I don't really have any nice finishing tools for woodworking, but this looks like it would be rather easy to build!
If you have some basic wood cutting tools, you can do it. Not much finish work on mine. Just a light sanding and a few coats of polyurethane. I might sand mine and paint it white or maybe another color. I don't particularly care for the color of mine but it does a very nice job of making useable space.

It also works well if you set it on the bed and use it to set your coffee on in the mornings
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #249

Quote:
If you have some basic wood cutting tools, you can do it. Not much finish work on mine. Just a light sanding and a few coats of polyurethane. I might sand mine and paint it white or maybe another color. I don't particularly care for the color of mine but it does a very nice job of making useable space.

It also works well if you set it on the bed and use it to set your coffee on in the mornings
I was thinking about putting a lip around the top of it so we could leave smaller items on it when we travel. Maybe a 1" lip and it would be were our cast iron sits during travel?

Got a trip planned this weekend, so it will be a few weeks before I get to that though.

Project to complete before we leave Friday is to get the sewer hose box mounted on the rear bumper.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #250

Quote:
I was thinking about putting a lip around the top of it so we could leave smaller items on it when we travel. Maybe a 1" lip and it would be were our cast iron sits during travel?

Got a trip planned this weekend, so it will be a few weeks before I get to that though.

Project to complete before we leave Friday is to get the sewer hose box mounted on the rear bumper.
I will take a pic of the one I made. I made it with cedar fence pickets... so it weighs next to nothing. I also made it so it wouldn't slide around during travel....

Travel... I would not trust a lip to hold anything, especially not cast iron, that high in my trailer. Might as well put a bowling ball up there . Watch your rig dance around behind you as you drive and ask yourself if you want a cast iron skillet bouncing around back there.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #251

Quote:

I thought about that too but then after thinking about the location of it, it's right over the axle, I didnt think it would stay there. I left the glass turn table in the microwave once and that thing was flipped up sideways in the microwave when we got home.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #252

Quote:
I thought about that too but then after thinking about the location of it, it's right over the axle, I didnt think it would stay there. I left the glass turn table in the microwave once and that thing was flipped up sideways in the microwave when we got home.
Simple solution for that. Cut a pool noodle to wedge between the turntable and roof of microwave. That way you store it where it is used... and don't have to fiddle with getting aligned, etc, etc.

Pool noodle to keep the fridge door open in storage (and one for freezer). Cut those to a length that you can put in the bezerage section so you can keep your wife's (or your) bottle of wine from sliding around in transit.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #253

Finally got our sewer hose box mounted. So far, my 10 yr old son is really taking to the camper and the work around it.

Trying to figure out how to get a picture attached, hopefully this works.

https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/...rMyIzrh0-RgVJ8

Old 10-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #254

Quote:
Finally got our sewer hose box mounted. So far, my 10 yr old son is really taking to the camper and the work around it.

Trying to figure out how to get a picture attached, hopefully this works.

https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/...rMyIzrh0-RgVJ8
The link didn't work for me.

Here is a pic of the stove top cover I made from cedar fence pickets. From the underside you can see where it is designed to fit the stove snuggly so it doesn't slide around. Plan to put foam in that slot with a stick lighter.

Name:	20200930_142443.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	64166

Name:	20200930_142514.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	64167
Old 10-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #255

Joined due to this thread. Thank you to everyone contributing.

FTFW, can you share what strip LED light kit you were using?

I plan on several of these mods. I've had my 174BH since July 2019. First year was short local trips, this summer we did a two week, 4500 mile tour to the Southwest and back. First big eye opener was a WDH. We are RV neophytes so i was unfamiliar. While probably accentuated by a leaf spring failure since corrected under warranty, we had several hellish long days with long periods at 45mph on the freeway. Had a WDH waiting on thre porch by thr time we got home. Just used it on a windy day, 180 degree difference.

As we do a good mix of everything from dry camping to extended trips, i started by installing more robust scissor stabilizing jacks on all four corners, two parallel wired batteries, a battery cutoff switch, and a tray for double propane cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails
20201013_185012.jpg  
spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #256
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniel View Post
Had a WDH waiting on thre porch by thr time we got home. Just used it on a windy day, 180 degree difference.

As we do a good mix of everything from dry camping to extended trips, i started by installing more robust scissor stabilizing jacks on all four corners, two parallel wired batteries, a battery cutoff switch, and a tray for double propane cylinders.
Good to hear you put a WDH on. They do really take some stress out of towing. Nice mods, to make it what you want, and better than stock. I enjoy puttering on our TT, but after 8 years, I'm running out of little projects. The members usually give me a few ideas to make it better.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniel View Post
Joined due to this thread. Thank you to everyone contributing.

FTFW, can you share what strip LED light kit you were using?

I plan on several of these mods. I've had my 174BH since July 2019. First year was short local trips, this summer we did a two week, 4500 mile tour to the Southwest and back. First big eye opener was a WDH. We are RV neophytes so i was unfamiliar. While probably accentuated by a leaf spring failure since corrected under warranty, we had several hellish long days with long periods at 45mph on the freeway. Had a WDH waiting on thre porch by thr time we got home. Just used it on a windy day, 180 degree difference.

I didn't use a kit per se. I bought a roll of "waterproof" strip LED off amazon for $12

Name:	20201014_213219.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	64542

I am handy with a soldering iron and can wire 12v circuits with confidence (an electrical engineer) so I was comfortable with that, some 18 guage wire... wire nuts, and those cabinet switches I posted earlier.

If I had to do it over again, I would consider buying those snap-on leads for these led strips as soldering was cheaper, but a bit of a hassle.

Question for you and your WDH. Which did you get and at what tongue weight. 90% of the ones I have seen are 1k which is way overkill for this trailer at 400#. Also, I was under the impression that WDHs dont help with sway as much on a single axle and that its a sway bar that really helps. Did you get a sway bar too?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #258

I know there are some WDH that also help with sway but I am no expert on them. I looked into them when I first got my rig but after loading and towing, I didn't feel it was needed.
Our rig tows great and sits just fine with how it's loaded and only using friction style anti sway.
Maybe if you are towing with a really softly suspended vehicle or you have a lot of weight up front in the trailer, then I'm sure it may help out a lot.
My Tacoma is actually a pretty soft truck though. I have thought about putting bags under the rear of mine but not because of trailer weight. More so because sometimes the bed of my truck gets loaded down with other stuff.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #259

Quote:
I know there are some WDH that also help with sway but I am no expert on them. I looked into them when I first got my rig but after loading and towing, I didn't feel it was needed.
Our rig tows great and sits just fine with how it's loaded and only using friction style anti sway.
Maybe if you are towing with a really softly suspended vehicle or you have a lot of weight up front in the trailer, then I'm sure it may help out a lot.
My Tacoma is actually a pretty soft truck though. I have thought about putting bags under the rear of mine but not because of trailer weight. More so because sometimes the bed of my truck gets loaded down with other stuff.
I pull mine with a tacoma as well. I had full intentions of buying a wdh&sway... but my dealer talked me out of it... said it wasn't necessary and to try towing it first. So far he has been right. I have paid attention to how I load it and while I have had a little bit of sway from major gusts, it all dampened on its own.

But I have thought about getting a detachable friction bar for "just in case" on a real bad day.

Still curious on the combo that works. Most of the smaller weight WDHs seem to cost %50 more than tye standard, overkill 1k hitches... which can be too stiff.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #260

My dealer also said it was not needed on my trailer.
The friction style anti sway works great though. Easy to use and the trailer pulls like its on rails. I have pulled it in some nasty weather conditions and never had an issue with it.
Picked mine up at Harbor Freight for less than $30. Welded the tab on the hitch for the bar and that was it.
I did buy a different plate for the trailer. I got the one that just bolts on instead of using the one that comes with the kit.