Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #1

Jay Flight SLX8 212QB

Just put money on the Jay Flight SLX8 212QB. Will pick it up in a few weeks.
Would love to hear comments from any owners of this unit.
How you like it, suggestions and anything else of interest.
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

Hopefully you did not get the 12 v refrigerator. The solar panel if you went with that doesn't begin to power it especially in forested areas.

We reinforced the seats the day after we took ownership. We velcro stripped the cushions so they do not slide any more.

The oven is difficult to figure out when lit. You have to put your head in it to see if the spark igniter worked.

Toilet use requires gymnastics.

There are plenty of things to like though.. The stove. the storage. The headroom though I need help in getting things from a cabinet, not being tall. Long arms do help or one of those senior grabbers. The pantry is deep.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

We love out 212QB. While more room can be more comfortable, it's a good size for the two of us. I agree with Kim that the bathroom is tight. But at just over 25 feet overall length, we can get in many campsites that bigger units cannot. At 5,500 pound GVW, we towed it with our V6 Durango. Fully loaded with a full tank of fresh water and empty grey and black tanks, we weight in under 5,300 pounds. Not having a slide limits interior space but also lessens weight and is one less thing to break.

We haven't done too many mods. Added a medicine cabinet in place of the bathroom mirror and replaced the circle towel holder with a towel bar. We also use two tension bars to hold bath/beach towels. One is over the toilet and the other is over the drivers' side window in the bedroom. We also added 400W of solar panels, a controller, and two 6V golf cart batteries.

Search around this forum and you should be able to find several threads talking about mods others have done to their 212's. Good luck with your new unit, I think you'll like it.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
We love out 212QB. While more room can be more comfortable, it's a good size for the two of us. I agree with Kim that the bathroom is tight. But at just over 25 feet overall length, we can get in many campsites that bigger units cannot. At 5,500 pound GVW, we towed it with our V6 Durango. Fully loaded with a full tank of fresh water and empty grey and black tanks, we weight in under 5,300 pounds. Not having a slide limits interior space but also lessens weight and is one less thing to break.

We haven't done too many mods. Added a medicine cabinet in place of the bathroom mirror and replaced the circle towel holder with a towel bar. We also use two tension bars to hold bath/beach towels. One is over the toilet and the other is over the drivers' side window in the bedroom. We also added 400W of solar panels, a controller, and two 6V golf cart batteries.

Search around this forum and you should be able to find several threads talking about mods others have done to their 212's. Good luck with your new unit, I think you'll like it.
Can you show me your battery setup? We need to do something.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 10-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

We have the 21QB. Opening the vanity door when sitting on the toilet will gain you a couple inches of knee space. Adding a furnace vent in the bathroom has been a great upgrade for us.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Glad to see that people are liking their 212QB! We are picking up a new one in 3 days! The bathroom is spacious compared to what we are trading in, a small wet bath in a T@b tear drop trailer. We will definitely welcome all the additional space and love the floorpan - walk-around bed, a dry bath and the window view in the back. I think one of the first things we will do is switch out the bed to something a little more comfortable.
Meriflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #7

Also got an SLX8 212QB..

Have been steadily upgrading here and there.. The first thing was the mattress..

And a long list after that.

Enjoy it and take your time getting to know it and it's capabilities..

2021Chevy Z-71 Texas Edition
2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Pobre RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #8

We’ve had ours for four years and love it. It’s a “Goldilocks” trailer — not too small for the two of us and not too big. I’ve done quite a few simple mods, starting with reinforcing the bed. Here’s my album of them: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html

If you haven’t bought a hitch yet, I strongly recommend the Andersen. Super sway control, lightweight and easy to hook and unhook.

Yes, it can be a little snug at times. But I’m 6-6 and I have plenty of headroom, even in the shower. You learn to coordinate moves through the kitchen, like dancing! Enjoy!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #9

Love ours

Our 2018 was new to us in May 2020. We love it. We did a bunch of mods. Reinforced the bed (which is pretty much a must on these forums), changed the post table that wouldn't move to one with folding legs so it can move when seated. Added stick-on backsplash behind stove and sink. added a flip up counter at the end of the very minimal counter, next to the sink. put in a couple small command shelves/holders - one next to the stove to hold potholders, one above the window to the left facing the door to hold suntan lotions and bug spray. added a bunch of battery puck lights as the interior of my 2018 is too dark. Especially needed one on the back of the dinette bench so I had some light to see in the oven. upgraded to rechargeable led motion stick-up led lights in the cabinet next to the bed and the pantry cabinet. Added large command hooks on the wall opposite the door to hang jackets and some other misc. also put a couple in the bathroom for hand towels and hanging my toiletry bag. Oh, and changed the kitchen sink faucet to one that has a pull out sprayer and doesn't feel as though it will break every time you touch it. I'm sure there are a few other little things, but those were the main ones. Enjoy your new RV!

Was 2018 Nissan Pathfinder - too close for comfort
CGLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #10

I changed out the cabinet pull to one that didn't stick out so much. My thigh was getting bruised. LOL

Old 10-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGLaz View Post
Our 2018 was new to us in May 2020. We love it. We did a bunch of mods. Reinforced the bed (which is pretty much a must on these forums), changed the post table that wouldn't move to one with folding legs so it can move when seated. Added stick-on backsplash behind stove and sink. added a flip up counter at the end of the very minimal counter, next to the sink. put in a couple small command shelves/holders - one next to the stove to hold potholders, one above the window to the left facing the door to hold suntan lotions and bug spray. added a bunch of battery puck lights as the interior of my 2018 is too dark. Especially needed one on the back of the dinette bench so I had some light to see in the oven. upgraded to rechargeable led motion stick-up led lights in the cabinet next to the bed and the pantry cabinet. Added large command hooks on the wall opposite the door to hang jackets and some other misc. also put a couple in the bathroom for hand towels and hanging my toiletry bag. Oh, and changed the kitchen sink faucet to one that has a pull out sprayer and doesn't feel as though it will break every time you touch it. I'm sure there are a few other little things, but those were the main ones. Enjoy your new RV!
All sound very familiar! I’m also looking at replacing both sinks. What brand did you end up buying? Any hitches in the replacement? Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powhatanone View Post
snip...... suggestions and anything else of interest.
The following JOF "PDI" thread will come in handy when you do the walk-through:

Reference Post #1 here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-5.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #13

Got this faucet - https://www.recpro.com/kitchen-pull-...rushed-nickel/ It was $15 less 6 months ago. The only issue the DH had was contorting himself to take the one out and put the new one in.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #14

Kim, I don't have any pictures and the unit is put away for the winter but I use two Duracell GC2 batteries (215 amp hr) and a Camco double battery box #55375. They fit on the tongue where the single battery was.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...q=duracell+gc2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Can you show me your battery setup? We need to do something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
Kim, I don't have any pictures and the unit is put away for the winter but I use two Duracell GC2 batteries (215 amp hr) and a Camco double battery box #55375. They fit on the tongue where the single battery was.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...q=duracell+gc2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Batteries are shown as $89.88 each; at the Augusta, Maine Sams Club

Box (when available) is shown as about $27.00 on Amazon.

Looks like a relatively inexpensive battery upgrade.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #16

Thanks so much for that info
Christmas presents to us!
Old 10-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #17

We love ours. Added a battery, added support for the bed and changed mattress. Have thought about upgrading but have never found a better layout for our lifestyle. Enjoy!
kle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
We have the 21QB. Opening the vanity door when sitting on the toilet will gain you a couple inches of knee space. Adding a furnace vent in the bathroom has been a great upgrade for us.
Could you please describe/illustrate how you added the furnace vent in the bathroom? Thanks!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Could you please describe/illustrate how you added the furnace vent in the bathroom? Thanks!
We love our 2019 212 as we travel to explore so it's pretty much a place to sleep and eat
and should inclement weather arrive a place to watch TV. We too upgraded to a residential grade mattress and added a med cabinet in the bathroom plus command hooks in various spots. We use a Husky Centerline TS WD hitch and towing so far over 12,000 miles has not resulted in any white knuckle moments even in high crosswinds. Four new tires are on the agenda come spring as well as pulling all four bearing sets for a repack or replacement as we are once again headed out west.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGLaz View Post
Which stick-on back splash do you recommend. The wife is in charge of upgrading the inside and I take care of the outside upgrades.. But any info is good info..

2021Chevy Z-71 Texas Edition
2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Pobre RV is offline   Reply With Quote