Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Jayco Jay Feather 25bh or Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW

Hello all,

New to this forum and looking forward to purchasing a Jayco trailer. I'm currently camping with a 1999 Komfort 25ft Bunkhouse and love the thing, but it's getting old and time to upgrade.

I've fell in love with the Jay Feather 25bh!! It has everything I need including the outside kitchen and fits the weight bill. My concern is the non plywood/foam Luan floors.

Have they added additional bracing to the 2018 model?

Are soft floors a real concern?

I take really good care of my stuff and plan on keeping this rig for a while. Should I be concerned? or are soft floors an exception not the norm?

If soft floors are a real problem the only other model I could consider is the Jay Flight SLX 267BH. I just dislike how stripped down this model is and no outdoor kitchen.

Any feedback from people who love or hate their Jay feather would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers,

Robert
Ruger3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #2

My Jay feather is a 2010 (2nd owner) and I've owned it for four years now and have lived in it for approximately 20 months and about 28,000 miles and my floor is just fine. I weigh 165 and my wife is 102 lbs. I really like this trailer and I'm not looking to replace it.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #3

Awesome, thanks!
Ruger3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Some posters on another thread we're questioning the integrity of the Jay Feather units vs the Jay Flight units, which have plywood bases.
Is this true?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

Please excuse my punctuation error. I can't seem to edit from my phone.
We're should be were.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Some posters on another thread we're questioning the integrity of the Jay Feather units vs the Jay Flight units, which have plywood bases.
Is this true?

One of those was me :-). I actually called a high volume Jayco dealer yesterday and asked the question. He said "off the record", get the Plywood floor. However, he did say the Foam floor holds up fine if occupants are less than 200lb. I then asked him if kids jumping off the bunk bed would compromise the integrity of the floor right there, and also in the bathroom and right in front of the door. He said "true story". So, while I did LOVE the Jay Feather 25bh extra amenities and sleeker look, I am more comfortable walking on a plywood floor.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasiki View Post
One of those was me :-). I actually called a high volume Jayco dealer yesterday and asked the question. He said "off the record", get the Plywood floor. However, he did say the Foam floor holds up fine if occupants are less than 200lb. I then asked him if kids jumping off the bunk bed would compromise the integrity of the floor right there, and also in the bathroom and right in front of the door. He said "true story". So, while I did LOVE the Jay Feather 25bh extra amenities and sleeker look, I am more comfortable walking on a plywood floor.
Well, I'm shopping for a trailer now, and will likely purchase in the next few weeks, and I think that about makes my decision for me.
The floor integrity is a big deal--a major deal to repair.
Thank you for responding.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Well, I'm shopping for a trailer now, and will likely purchase in the next few weeks, and I think that about makes my decision for me.
The floor integrity is a big deal--a major deal to repair.
Thank you for responding.

On the contrary, he said they see 15 year old foam floors that are fine. But with plywood, all you have to worry about is keeping it dry. The foam you have to keep dry AND run the risk of it softening over time. This was a guy at the service department, by the way; not a sales guy. I wanted it hear it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

The dealer I am buying my 267bhsw from said when the last 2016's with non-plywood floor are gone from his lot, he will not be selling another with the foam composite floor. Also, Jayco switched the White Hawk to plywood beginning in 2016 if that tells you anything.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
On the contrary, he said they see 15 year old foam floors that are fine. But with plywood, all you have to worry about is keeping it dry. The foam you have to keep dry AND run the risk of it softening over time. This was a guy at the service department, by the way; not a sales guy. I wanted it hear it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

The dealer I am buying my 267bhsw from said when the last 2016's with non-plywood floor are gone from his lot, he will not be selling another with the foam composite floor. Also, Jayco switched the White Hawk to plywood beginning in 2016 if that tells you anything.
So the Jay Flights all have plywood floors, as of 2017?
What about Jay Feathers?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
So the Jay Flights all have plywood floors, as of 2017?
What about Jay Feathers?

Jay Feather and Jay Flight SLX 7ft wide has the composite floor. Jay Flight SLX 8ft, Jay Flight, White Hawk (beginning in 2016) and Eagle has plywood.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Jay Feather and Jay Flight SLX 7ft wide has the composite floor. Jay Flight SLX 8ft, Jay Flight, White Hawk (beginning in 2016) and Eagle has plywood.
Thanks so much. That helps a bunch.