Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #1

Jayco JF Micro 166FBS trailer coupler height

Does anyone know what the trailer coupler height is on a Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166FBS? I have not picked up my trailer and the RV center is slow to get back to me.
ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

You're almost always better off getting an adjustable height trailer hitch. Even if you knew the exact height of the trailer's coupler and then purchased a trailer hitch to match, as soon as you put the tongue weight on it, the truck is going to sag a bit.

With an adjustable hitch, you can account for this and get the perfect height every time.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #3

Air suspension

I thought about that but I have the air suspension on my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited which will level the ride so i want to get it close so it can do its job.
ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysw698 View Post
I thought about that but I have the air suspension on my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited which will level the ride so i want to get it close so it can do its job.
Well if you want to do that, then you're definitely going to need an adjustable height hitch.

I also have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with air suspension and I can tell you from experience that while the air suspension will attempt to level the front and back even with the trailer attached, you cannot determine the actual final hitch height until all factors are considered. This will depend upon which height setting you chose for the air suspension (Normal ride height (NRH) or Aero), the tongue weight of your loaded trailer (which can change), the cargo weight in the truck (which can change), the ability of the air suspension to achieve an actual perfect F/R level given the load, and the effect the WDH has on the overall weight distribution. There are too many variables here to attempt to predict the final hitch height and these variables can change, so no one single hitch height will work.

I had to change the height of my hitch several times before I was able to get the trailer perfectly level. The very best way to do this is via a height-adjustable hitch. I realize they're expensive, but this is by far your best choice.

I also highly recommend the Weigh Safe WDH for this truck. In addition to all the other advantages it has over most WDHs such as allowing you to very easily dynamically dial in the perfect settings every time even if the truck/trailer cargo weight changes, it also comes complete with an adjustable hitch at no extra cost.

Also, be sure to read the RAM manual concerning using the air suspension with whatever WDH you use. You have to first turn off the air suspension, then set up the WDH, and then turn it back on. This also makes it difficult to try and use a non-adjustable hitch because you won't know the final height until you do all of this, and again it can and will change.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #5

I have a 2021 RAM 1500, no air suspension, I have had to play around a little with the height of the hitch to get it correct. I have added AirLift bags inside of the coils and those definitely help as the coils are soft, which give the truck a great ride but sags when towing.

To answer your first question the trailer info says it should be 22". Depending on the ground it and the truck are on it will differ. But might give a starting point. I have the E2 Equalizer WDH and its worked great so far.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 AM   #6

Agree that 22" is a good starting point. When I set up our WDH, the distance between the ground and the our TT hitch was 23". Trailer was "perfectly" level when taking the measurement, as level as could be on asphalt pavement.
Dkastner is offline   Reply With Quote