Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Jayco Propane Regulator Recall

Somehow, I missed the first recall notice for the Jayco propane regulator and pig tails, and now I have received the second one. My research tells me that there is a months-long wait for replacement. My question is: Are our tanks safe to use? Has anyone had any issues? My dealer says it's fine. Another says it's not. We are leaving this week on a three week leaf peeping trip to New England, and I don't want to have any trouble. I hope to hear from some folks about it's safety.
Travelibandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #2

We ended up just buying one online.
I don't understand why the dealership says they can't get them, I've been seeing them in stores and online.

Here's one at Camping World available right now-
https://www.campingworld.com/enerco-...ne-accessories
Old 09-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #3

regulator recall

After originally being told December by my dealer, I had mine replaced by dealer 2 weeks ago. They used a Italian regulator with a 5 year warranty and usa made pigtails. I was under the impression it's okay to use recalled regulator just be careful and watch for low or high flame conditions and leaking propane at regulator. Knowing it's potential to burn your rv I would be very cautious using it.
Our trailer has 3 tanks and 2 regulators, I have never used the dual regulator, just the single tank one.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Travelibandman,

Welcome to JOF

Here are a couple active JOF threads on the regulator recall that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...a-88110-6.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...a-89452-5.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Just got back with no issues at all. Did watch the stove to insure a normal flame pattern. I also carried a spare that I bought on Amazon because my dealer said two months on parts arrival.
seeleylaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #6

Went to our dealer today to get some Andersen levelers to try out and asked the shop about how the recall was going. According to them Jayco is replacing the oldest regulators first, as for the stove saddle valve recall they're starting to get the parts. I have N 18 20 regulator on my 2019 212QB, honestly I don't expect it to get repaired before spring. We have three more short trips before the end of October.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

I was unaware of the regulator recall and I'm not sure if my unit was affected by it. I found out the hard way though, that I had to replace it while on a 5-week trip out west from Michigan.

A local gas company had a regulator and two pigtails for $120 plus the cost to refill two 20 lb cylinders took it to about $165. I discovered the smell just before leaving on the trip in August and did the bubble test on all the connections a couple times both before and during the trip. I eventually discovered it coming out of the bottom of the regulator (vent area). I knew that there was no way to internally get inside to try to remove any grit. Fortunately, I was 5 miles from the town of Custer, South Dakota where the McGas gas company had the items I needed in stock. I made the repairs back at the campsite. The remaining near 4 weeks of my trip went without a hitch (no pun intended) and I still had gas left in the first tank.

I'm not even sure if it's worth trying to get some type of refund for just the regulator alone which was around $75. It works now and I'm selling the trailer so I'll probably just eat the cost.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #8

Ours was leaking prior to the recall and we replaced it. A couple of wrenches and some Teflon tape is all that's required (and off course follow the included instructions).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

We've been RV camping for 35 years, so I know what spare parts to keep on hand. When we got our Jayco the first thing I did was buy a new regulator and pigtails, and ensured that my tool box had the right tools to do the job.

Sure enough, less than a year and it failed. We woke up late at night and it was freezing inside. The furnace was struggling to get gas. I had just replaced the tank that day, so I knew I had gas.

We toughed it out till morning and then it only took 5 minutes to unscrew the old one and dope up the new one and screw it in. It never occurred to me to submit a warranty claim. The new one is now on its 6th year and still works OK.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #10

A month ago I scheduled an appointment with our local Jayco dealer to take care of the propane regulator recall, and the earliest the dealer could get us in was mid-October. And he said he couldn't guarantee he would have regulators available by then. But so far we've not had any trouble with the propane regulator we currently have, so we'll keep on camping but keep a close eye on it.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

My understanding is Jayco is sending the replacement parts to dealers as they file the claims, meaning you have to contact the dealer and give the serial number to start the claim.

I'd be wary of buying a regulator off Amazon. These faulty Wintecs that came on the rigs are the new China Bombs and that's exactly where you'll find the ones manufactured on Amazon.

Maybe a false sense of security but I do run with GasStops on my tanks so high flow should be shut off.
Nissan Titan <- Fleetwood Sea Pine Popup / JayFeather X23J / Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 1500 HEMI <- Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 3500 TD <- Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #12

I received my "second" notice a couple weeks ago having never received the first. I will end up doing it myself in the spring when I reopen my camper. I use my 377rlbh as a seasonal and do not have the ability to tow it but even if I did the gas to get it to the dealer would cost more than the new regulator. I just wish I had received the first notice so I could have already gotten it swapped out, or campground closes October 1st do had no time to do it this year. Fortunately have had no issues with pressure, surges or leaks.
dbvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

We just returned from a 3 week trip using the LP a lot. Our regulator WAS part of the recall per my dealer. I bought a substitute on amazon but it wasn't the "approved" one. We brought it with on the trip but never had to change it out. Just played close attention to flames, and watched for any evidence of venting. No problems.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
My understanding is Jayco is sending the replacement parts to dealers as they file the claims, meaning you have to contact the dealer and give the serial number to start the claim.......snip
Picked-up my TT at my RV dealership yesterday (wheel bearing re-pack) and it was stated they had over 100 claims filed and haven't been given any timeframe for receiving replacement regulators.

Recently Jayco has identified four (4) different regulator brands (initially was two brands) that are approved for replacement of defective Winntec units.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #15

The way I checked my regulator to see if it was leaking was to cover it in soap suds! Mine started leaking around the indicator housing. I started going thru LP twice as fast as normal. I could also smell a faint leak. When I covered the unit in soap suds I could see where it was leaking and replaced it prior to the recall! Use lots of soap suds! if not leaking an no tale tale smell of a leak your ok to keep using it. Just check it regularly and keep the area be talked around the regulator! It's going to be a while before replacement parts are available! Thanks to our liberal government!
Old 10-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #16

REGULATOR recall

Our 2018 24BHWS regulator started leaking propane a few weeks ago when we were prepping for a week long trip. I had just recieved the recall notice so I called our dealer where we bought the unit in 2018. They said bring it over the next day and they would install a new regulator and pigtails. Took it in and to my surprise they finished the job in half an hour. Checked everything that is connected to the propsne system and everything was a go. No problems since.
USAF retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #17

My regulator which was subject to the recall caused a fire behind the refrigerator when it malfunctioned when I switched from ac power to propane power. Replace it now before you do anything else. It is not worth the risk.
LinkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #18

I have been monitoring several parts websites for auto change over regulators due to the recall....specifically looking for ones not made in china... and finally got a notice yesterday that the "
SKU: 2008713945
Marshall® MEGR-253HP-PT15 - Excela-Flo™ High Pressure 350.000 BTU Automatic Changeover Two Stage Powder Coated LP Gas Regulator with Hose (1/4" Inlet x 3/8" FNPT Outlet)"

from CamperID was available now and only $98.67.

I have been waiting to find a Marshall regulator for quite some time...some local dealers we passed, had some other manufacturer regulators but were asking ridiculous prices for them due to the shortages....on was up to $196 for
a GasFlo auto change over...the laws of supply and demand in action...the way it works...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #19

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pope View Post
The way I checked my regulator to see if it was leaking was to cover it in soap suds! Mine started leaking around the indicator housing. I started going thru LP twice as fast as normal. I could also smell a faint leak. When I covered the unit in soap suds I could see where it was leaking and replaced it prior to the recall! Use lots of soap suds! if not leaking an no tale tale smell of a leak your ok to keep using it. Just check it regularly and keep the area be talked around the regulator! It's going to be a while before replacement parts are available! Thanks to our liberal government!

Leaking is not the only failure mode, incorrect high pressure and low pressure output from the regulator are also possible.
With reports of fires caused from the recalled regulators and potential for serious injury or death, why give bad advice and tell others to keep using them?
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Leaking is not the only failure mode, incorrect high pressure and low pressure output from the regulator are also possible.
With reports of fires caused from the recalled regulators and potential for serious injury or death, why give bad advice and tell others to keep using them?
That's the problem with mine now.... high pressure....not too much of a problem with the cooking stove top, but the water heater pops, loud when first lighting and I can't get the flame to adjust without roaring....have to turn the propane on/off valve to almost closed...hopefully the one I ordered will be shipped soon...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote