Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #1

2018 Jayco whitehawk 31rl furnace

Our furnace will start up but not ignite, we are reading that it could be a sail switch, however we can’t see how we can access the furnace , we pulled off the vent, it looks hard to get to above the vent, any help would be appreciated
Reneejdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #2

I'm not sure about your specific setup but in my past experience the furnace always had to be removed to access to sail switch and other internal parts.

I made removal of the furnace part of my maintenance routine in all my campers. We have had numerous German Shepherds (aka German Shedders) that we always travel with and found that no matter how hard we try and keep up with the hair, much of it always ends up in the furnace.

Every 2 or 3 years I will remove the furnace for a full cleaning. I usually modify the wiring on the first removal by adding male / female terminals to make it easier to get in and out each time going forward. It's never easy but it helps. Once you do it once the process seems easier each time after that.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #3

That makes sense, we have two shedding dogs, our furnace looks to be above the vent beside the sink, not sure how to get to it
Reneejdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #4

Take the vent off usually 4 or 6 screws around the edges. Then look for what is holding the furnace in place, usually 2 to 4 more screws. You need to disconnect the gas line, and then the 12 Volt power wires and the thermostat wire. Once all that is done you start to play the game of how to angle the furnace to best get it out of the often very tight space it is in. Like I said, once you do it once it gets much easier to do again...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #5

Not sure why all the manufacturers don’t put outside access panels on all the rvs for an appliance that requires such routine maintenance.