Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #11

Damn all of you 3/4 ton advocates. I appreciate all of the advise I really do. My family and I are really only buying a TT to have a slight upgrade from a tent. We love tent camping. The only upgrade we really want is a little AC. We prefer to be outside when camping and really only need the TT to sleep in so I'm not sure we'll be in a hurry to buy a larger trailer. It's for this reason that I'm now once again leaning heavily toward a 1/2 ton 2015 Ram Ecodiesel and a 26BH. Please keep posting any and all advise. The more info. the better. Thanks again for all the comments I really do appreciate it!

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the 3/4 ton truck in question is a 2008 Chevy diesel with 67k miles on it. Granted I know that the truck is in perfect condition and that 67k is nothing for a Diesel engine but a tuff decision when compared to a brand new 1/2 ton diesel.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Only word of caution I have about the Ram EcoDiesel is check the payload for the truck. I looked at them before buying my Ram 2500 and a fully loaded EcoDiesel (Longhorn and even the Laramie) had a payload of 1,036 pounds. Add 2 or 3 passengers, full of gas, the tongue weight of the trailer and propane, batteries, etc., you'll be well over that payload rating!

I love Ram trucks but their payload is low for their tow ratings (1500s). You'll max the payload before you can max the towing capabilities! Great truck though and I like what Ram did but I wish they had more payload!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Deuce View Post
Only word of caution I have about the Ram EcoDiesel is check the payload for the truck. I looked at them before buying my Ram 2500 and a fully loaded EcoDiesel (Longhorn and even the Laramie) had a payload of 1,036 pounds. Add 2 or 3 passengers, full of gas, the tongue weight of the trailer and propane, batteries, etc., you'll be well over that payload rating!

I love Ram trucks but their payload is low for their tow ratings (1500s). You'll max the payload before you can max the towing capabilities! Great truck though and I like what Ram did but I wish they had more payload!

I hear ya, I do. The payload number has been a point of contention for me too. However, if a go over a few hundred pounds a few times a year I think the truck can handle that. Most of my trips will be within a few hours of home with maybe one big trip a year. It's something that I've watched closely and have followed a few forums and the vast majority of current owners don't seem too concerned with it. I hope they're right! Great point though.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
Perhaps I should have mentioned that the 3/4 ton truck in question is a 2008 Chevy diesel with 67k miles on it. Granted I know that the truck is in perfect condition and that 67k is nothing for a Diesel engine but a tuff decision when compared to a brand new 1/2 ton diesel.
Brand new would be the deal killer for me -- I'm done with taking the huge value hit the second you buy it. I have bought several new cars and trucks, and I used to think if I kept them ~8 years, which I do, that new or used really didn't matter. Now I just assume buy 3+ year old vehicle and still keep it ~8 years and I feel I am money ahead.

Probably has a lot to do with finding Dave Ramsey and swearing off debt for life :-)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Brand new would be the deal killer for me -- I'm done with taking the huge value hit the second you buy it. I have bought several new cars and trucks, and I used to think if I kept them ~8 years, which I do, that new or used really didn't matter. Now I just assume buy 3+ year old vehicle and still keep it ~8 years and I feel I am money ahead.

Probably has a lot to do with finding Dave Ramsey and swearing off debt for life :-)
You bring up a good point. But IMHO, it depends on the type of vehicle you're talking about and the market you're in. For example, down here in Texas, it's truck country. Pickups are the most common vehicle on the road. For that reason, a good, clean, low mileage pickup will command quite a premium in the used truck market. It's not uncommon to find clean pickups that are just a little bit cheaper than their brand new counterparts. We're not talking a lot of money here, so in this region, and with dealer discounts, mfg incentives and discounts, and depending on your intended usage, the "depreciation hit" on a new pickup is not so bad. On top of that, dealers will give you a great deal on trade-in of your clean, low mileage used truck because they know they can sell it for a great markup, and there's currently a shortage of clean used vehicles in this region. Other incentives and advantages may include maintenance programs, knowing the complete history of your vehicle, and better warranty coverage. When you take in the entire picture, sometimes a new vehicle is a better deal.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You bring up a good point. But IMHO, it depends on the type of vehicle you're talking about and the market you're in. For example, down here in Texas, it's truck country. Pickups are the most common vehicle on the road. For that reason, a good, clean, low mileage pickup will command quite a premium in the used truck market. It's not uncommon to find clean pickups that are just a little bit cheaper than their brand new counterparts. We're not talking a lot of money here, so in this region, and with dealer discounts, mfg incentives and discounts, and depending on your intended usage, the "depreciation hit" on a new pickup is not so bad. On top of that, dealers will give you a great deal on trade-in of your clean, low mileage used truck because they know they can sell it for a great markup, and there's currently a shortage of clean used vehicles in this region. Other incentives and advantages may include maintenance programs, knowing the complete history of your vehicle, and better warranty coverage. When you take in the entire picture, sometimes a new vehicle is a better deal.
I understand what you are saying, even in my corner of Central California we are both farm country and in the midst of an oil boom, so trucks here are also extremely common and retain value more than a SUV or Passenger Car. Because of this I had to get my truck from an urban part of California in order to find a good clean truck with reasonable miles. It was ~4 years old and I paid ~50% of its new price and close to 40% of the current year prices.

All that said, my purchasing decisions are almost entirely determined by how much cash I have and am willing to spend and "never take debt" lifestyle we began several years ago. I am not willing to part with the amount of cash new cost me.

These decisions are unique to everyone and their situation. I am not trying to talk someone into something they don't want -- just offering another perspective and opinion.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
These decisions are unique to everyone and their situation. I am not trying to talk someone into something they don't want -- just offering another perspective and opinion.
Completely agree. That's why I posted what I did; everyone's individual situation is unique, and there's not one right answer!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #19

I have a 2015 26 BH and love it. Its a perfect trailer for me, the wife , and my 2 boys(3 and 1). Still got lots of room for us to grow into.. I encourage my kids to play outside, the whole purpose of camping, so the slide/extra room was not an option for us.
I also tow it with my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Absolutly no issues, and i tow up some long hills. As mention in a previous post, the payload is the ram's sore spot.. I only carry an extra 30lbs propane tank in the bed of the truck... Everything else goes in the trailer. Fully loaded, full gas, family, food clothes toys/bikes etc I am within all my capacities. The eco desiels towing capacity is lower than the hemi, especially if you get fully loaded so you might have to dig deeper into that if you are really cosidering the 26 BH
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #20

I can't buy a used Ecodiesel so new is the only option for me in the 1/2 ton market as I wouldn't entertain another 1/2 ton truck.
The Ecodiesel actually has a little more torque than the Hemi and can easily tow 8k which is perfect for the 26BH. I've spoken to a few people that have pulled over 10k with the Ecodiesel through the mountains and didn't have any issues. My 26BH wouldn't weigh much over 6k the way we camp so towing the trailer is not a concern for me.