Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

There is a rule of thumb for trailer length vs wheel base, 110" TV wheelbase is good for a 20' trailer. Every 4" of wheelbase adds 1' of trailer. (google search) but it seems just that a guideline. Some other factors that can get carried into the discussion are rear overhang from the axle centreline to hitch ball. A short overhang (Chrysler 300) will react very differently to trailer induced sway than say an extended body van with 5-6 ft between axle and hitch.

Ross..

Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

I tow my 32BHDS, 35' 6", with my V-10 Excursion. I have towed from Maine to Florida with it. I use a Reese Dual Cam and try to never exceed 62mph.
I also have a 2013 F-150 Crew Cab with the Ecoboost engine which is rated to tow close to 10.000lbs.
One time my Excursion was in the shop and I needed to get the TT to a CG 25 miles away via local roads. I decided to use the F-150, and I never exceeded 50mph. I felt the TT push my TV when slowing on a decline. I did make sure my brake controller was set up properly, on flat ground, before I started the trip to the CG.
My experience in that short trip was not enjoyable to the extent that I decided to store my TT at the CG until my Excursion was available to tow it back home.
This was my one time experience and I do believe the F-150 is a great TV and do not doubt those that tow heavy TT's with it, but I will not do it again.
I do not think the length was a factor, my Excursion and F-150 are almost the same length, but feel the weight of the TV is the factor.

2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

I am very familiar with the newer F150s and am an avid member of the online forums where they discuss the truck in full detail just as we do here with Jaycos. I tow a 28BHS weighing in at 6500lbs and 30.9 feet long from tongue to bumper.

I believe the F150 and most other higher capability half tons are great tow vehicles for most trailers. They have a limit, and I feel that my trailer is at the upper end of said limit. I have had to add a few extras to my truck to make the towing experience better and safer, including heavier duty tires, extra rear springs and an upgraded tranny mount (an issue specific to my model/wheelbase). I also chose a premium hitch, the E4.

Pulling power isn't everything! Stability and control is most important and while a 3/4 or 1 ton may provide superior characteristics, they may not always be practical for a daily driver. The half ton market can cover heavier towing to an extent, but may require a bit of aftermarket mods for those that take their trucks upwards of light duty.

If the gentleman mentioned in the original post would have gone with a better hitch, better tires, shocks, springs, etc. the outcome may have been different, who knows. While I am a full endorser of the F150 EcoBoost, hooking up a 30+ foot heavy trailer to a naked base model F150 with a mediocre hitch is not a good idea.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #14

I also believe speed was a highly contributing factor as well. 60 mph? downhill? Um..no. Again..JM2C
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #15

I read many answers that state " I tow x with no problems." The simple fact is with a good WD anti-sway hitch and the farther you are away from all your max limits for GVRW, GCWR, GAWR RAWR, the easier it is to make it through dark matter hitting the fan unscathed.

Don't plan and size for your regular towing trip, plan and size for when things go wrong.

Know and plan for what you would do in different situations. Like a blowout or the situation in the OPs post. Thinking about it and even practicing the physical moves required could make all the difference in the split seconds you need.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #16

Our old 2013 F150 had a 157" wheelbase vs our F250 with 156". Very comparable wheelbase except for the extra 1000lbs and stiffer suspension of the 250. Not really apples to apples...

We felt that pulling our 31' 6500lbs trailer was too close to the edge for our 1/2 ton. Power and breaking were fine but stability was lacking. The wind and passing vehicles would push us all over the place. Trailer was level and had 13% tongue weight using a Blue-Ox SwayPro.

Pulling the same trailer with the 250 is much more comfortable. I still know it is there but I don't feel like the trailer is in control anymore! And I have the piece of mind of knowing that I have lots of wiggle room in payload and towing capacity.

I would bet that the truck in question was overloaded a bit with that size trailer. One of the main reasons we upgraded was I didn't know how the 1/2 ton would react in an emergency situation. Tail wagging the dog situation.....
Also 800lbs of tongue weight and a 7500lbs trailer is right at 10% tongue weight. I think travel trailers do much better in the 13-15% range. 10% is too light on the tongue. IMO

Glad everyone is ok.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Our old 2013 F150 had a 157" wheelbase vs our F250 with 156". Very comparable wheelbase except for the extra 1000lbs and stiffer suspension of the 250. Not really apples to apples...

We felt that pulling our 31' 6500lbs trailer was too close to the edge for our 1/2 ton. Power and breaking were fine but stability was lacking. The wind and passing vehicles would push us all over the place. Trailer was level and had 13% tongue weight using a Blue-Ox SwayPro.

Pulling the same trailer with the 250 is much more comfortable. I still know it is there but I don't feel like the trailer is in control anymore! And I have the piece of mind of knowing that I have lots of wiggle room in payload and towing capacity.

I would bet that the truck in question was overloaded a bit with that size trailer. One of the main reasons we upgraded was I didn't know how the 1/2 ton would react in an emergency situation. Tail wagging the dog situation.....
Also 800lbs of tongue weight and a 7500lbs trailer is right at 10% tongue weight. I think travel trailers do much better in the 13-15% range. 10% is too light on the tongue. IMO

Glad everyone is ok.

Agree.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
The semi driver, having seen glimpses of the accident in his mirrors stopped also. His comment on the accident report he filled out for the State Troopers; "That trailer was to long for such a lightweight TV."
Quoted for irony. Don't semi's weigh a fraction of the trailer and are half the length?

There are a lot of variables in this equation and you it will be impossible to have even a rule of thumb everyone agrees to...
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

Very interesting concept!

We tow with a 1/4 ton pickup.

The old trailer was 18' and had near zero influence on the handling of the truck. The new trailer is 5' longer, 18" taller and almost 1,000 pounds heavier.

The Tacoma noticed the difference! The pressure wave from passing trucks and larger SUV's can be felt as a twitch in the cab just as the front of the passing truck reaches the rear bumper of the trailer.

I am adding a WDH to the rig to improve front tire grip.

The incident you described has made me consider making my F350 more comfy and not using the Tacoma for towing any more.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
... Don't semi's weigh a fraction of the trailer and are half the length?...
Semi-trailers are usually 40' long (many exceptions apply).

They gain a HUGE advantage in stability by having the trailer's axles near the rear of the trailer and put over 50% of the trailer's (and cargo's) weight on the tow vehicle.

Then we can start discussing the fact that the tow's hitch is slightly AHEAD of the rear axle.

You can't compare a purpose-built rig with close to 100 years of improvements to the built-in compromises of a tow vehicle that has to do more than tow.

Next, we can discuss closer coupling of the two braking systems.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote