Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

Let me hear your reviews on truck and trailer back up cameras you have

So this is a 2 question thread. I am getting a rear cam for my truck to help with hooking up my Propride hitch. This is a must buy option for me per everyone's advice who owns a Propride or Hensley. I am wondering what some of you have, and what you found to work best? My buddy has one that is just a simple license plate frame that hooks into the 12 volts at the hitch. Its a few years old and seems to still work pretty good. Thought about going this route but wondered if anyone here had something awesome.

Also I want a TT reverse cam. My Whitehawk is prewired for the furrion observation system. I went to Amazon to check them out and the reviews are absolutely horrible! I mean unreal bad. I could never buy it after seeing that. What other options are there that work good? Thank all.

Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

Ok so I just discovered that there are 2 Furrion camera versions. The one with bad reviews is a backup only camera FRC12TAPK-BL.

The other which is a FOS48TAPK-BL backup/high speed observation camera has much better reviews. So I may reconsider buying one now.

Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #3

I can't speak to the truck backup camera as our truck has a built in one, it does making hitching up a piece of cake.

I do have the Furion Observation camera and it's great. The display in the truck could be a bit larger, however it does meet the need. Makes backing up the RV easier, and lane changes on the high way are a piece of cake with it.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

I would classify the Furion observation camera as “adequate”. The display is very small, and the picture quality is fairly grainy. Depending on lighting conditions, the picture can be kind of washed out. If you don’t have the antennae lined up just perfectly, you’ll drop the picture constantly, and get lag when you do have a picture. Again, it gets the job done, but if I was shopping again, I would try hard to find a better system (if one exists), or explore having a hard-wired system installed. If you do get one through your dealer, make sure they price match Amazon. (About a $150 price difference in our case).
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

I just ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 So I'll be checking it out soon.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Tim15856: I'm very interested in your thoughts on that camera. I'm looking to get one to do double-duty: Hooked up to my x213 to help when backing up and driving, as well as hooking up to my wife's Forester (backing up only) when it is not connected to the trailer.
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #7

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post573048

We got a Voyager for our TT and I am 100% happy with it. It almost never loses signal even at highway speeds. If it does lose signal it's only for a second and then right back up.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
I would classify the Furion observation camera as “adequate”.
I would rate it as better than adequate for our use but that may be dependent on your rig setup. We have a 28BHBE and tow with an F350 crew cab. On our 8500 mile trip last summer I saw the picture go out twice for about 2 seconds each time. I have the camera mounted high and centered on the back of the trailer.

If we're right at the borderline length, it's possible that someone with a few more feet of trailer or more structure in the way (5th-wheel), may find the experience to be less satisfactory.

As far as usage goes I don't find that it helps backing up very much, but it's wonderful on the highway.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

I have the Furrion camera set up that Jayco sells as an option. It works very well and haven’t had any dropped signal issues with it. The picture on the monitor is more than adequate for backing up and changing lanes.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #10

I installed the Furrion Observation camera on my 2017 Jayfeather 25BH and it works great.

6wate is offline   Reply With Quote