Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2023, 04:53 PM   #1

Lippert slide issue

So I've tried to search this but didn't see any other post about the issue were having with our slide.
We have a 2017 JayFlight 267BHSW with a single slide (dinette and sofa) this uses the Lippert screw actuator.
Slide has always work no issues, until last week when we got to our pit spot and the slide wouldn't move out, just made that clunking noise.
Got under the camper and tried to work the manual side of the system and couldn't get it to move, my son then tried it while I hit the out button and it went out just fine, slide also retracted fine for our return trip home, but once home slide wouldn't go out, same thing hit it and the button and it goes out.
So after some reading the main thing I've seen was the plastic gear being damaged / missing teeth. So I replaced it with the metal gear and same thing if the slide is in all the way it wont retract out just makes that clunk noise.
I've checked the slide, everything is even and level its not cockeyed and compresses seals inside and out.
Could it be possible the screw actuator itself is jacked up or is there something else I'm missing?
Battery is good - camper is plugged into shore power too.
KE7NEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:22 PM   #2

No direct knowledge, but it sounds like teeth on the bar on the slide itself are broken at the very beginning (when the slide is in). Push it out a little and it catches good teeth, goes all the way out. Bring it in and it catches enough teeth at the end to bring it all the way in. Perhaps just the first tooth or two are broken. So the motor teeth are good, but the first tooth or two on the slide gear are broken. Perhaps just from coming in and holding to ensure tight fit over the years just made them weaken and break.

You replaced the motor teeth that were plastic with a metal one. Were any of the motor teeth broken?
Old 02-12-2023, 08:58 AM   #3

All the gears in the gear box were fine, including the plastic gear that I swapped out.
The assist gear - drive for the opposite side is all good there's no missing teeth on the slide or the gears.
I'm wondering if the clutch in the gear box is worn out and just doesn't have enough to push the slide out but okay enough to pull it in.
KE7NEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE7NEA View Post
So I've tried to search this but didn't see any other post about the issue were having with our slide.
We have a 2017 JayFlight 267BHSW with a single slide (dinette and sofa) this uses the Lippert screw actuator.
Slide has always work no issues, until last week when we got to our pit spot and the slide wouldn't move out, just made that clunking noise...
I'm dealing with this exact issue on my 2021 Whitehawk. The slide extends perfectly, but I have to release the retract button exactly when the outer wall compresses the gasket. If the clutch slips, even one click, when I'm retracting, the clutch gets jacked up and won't extend. I have to turn the screw manually for a few turns until it engages again.

I called Lippert and they were pretty good about helping me find a dealer who would fix it under my warranty. They gave me a claim number for the dealer to use. The dealer called me on Saturday to tell me that the motor/clutch unit needs to be replaced. Now I'm just waiting for the parts to get to the dealer.

It doesn't look like a hard job to replace the motor and clutch but they're only sold as a single unit. Lippert wouldn't just send me the part. I had to go to a dealer for warranty coverage. If I didn't have the warranty, I'd just buy one and put it on. Here's the motor that I needed:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/lippe...045-125802.htm