Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #41

After our first night we added a 3” memory foam pad and have been happy with it. If I did it again I’d have taken the 4” though.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #42

Mattress

Did the topper finally replaced the mattress with a Nectar. Paid it off monthly. Mattress is excellent for sleeping.
Dondevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #43

Trash the Jayco mattress and purchase a new "real" mattress. We have been buying mattresses for years from the Original Mattress Factory and they are the best made. We love the one we purchased for our Jay Flight 27RLS. Highly recommend!
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #44

Our new camper had an updated pillow top RV mattress but was still not very comfortable so we bought a mattress topper from camping world. That did make it a lot better but I was still not happy with it. Recently we bought a Nectar mattress for our home bed and I really love this mattress. It is very light so I thought it would be a good mattress for the RV so we bought one for it. What a great decision. Now our RV sleeps as good as the bed in our home and it is still light enough you can lift the bed to get access to the storage underneath. The hydraulic arms even holds the mattress up so you can get to the items stored under the bed. The best upgrade we made to the camper by far. Here is their website, https://www.nectarsleep.com/ They even will give a military discount and free shipping. Their warranty is great and they give a full 365 days to try out the mattress. You really can't go wrong by ordering one and trying it out. Just be sure to open the mattress in the RV where it is going to be used. Don't open it outside your RV bedroom then try to get it into your camper.

Dale

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #45

We bought a ‘My Pillow’ mattress topper and it is a vast improvement when placed over the mattress in our Jayco 330RSTS. I was apprehensive due to the cost but don’t think about it now that I get a good night sleep! Raises the bed height by 3 inches which we consider acceptable.
jdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #46

Bigd, We purchased a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS . It has the "upgraded" Queen mattress....LOL Terrible to sleep on. So, We purchased a pillow top mattress topper (about 4" thick) and it does work excellent. We got it at bed bath and beyond for about a hundred bucks. Cheaper than buying a sleep number bed which I wanted but my DW talked me into the topper and I am glad she did. Saved me a ton of money..
Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #47

Buy new

I purchased a new inner spring mattress from mattress insider and it’s been my best purchase to date - the Denver mattress that came with my rig was crap. I’m a full timer - my new mattress was worth every penny.
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #48

Mattress topper solution

We bought a 3” memory foam topper and it changed everything for us. Hint: the best and easiest way to cut memory foam is with your electric carving knife. Cuts it like butter.
Sparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #49

It really all comes down to a personal choice. Plus, what is the condition of your back and how many pills do you need to take every day.

Truthfully, being out in the woods I sleep better in my 1964 RV's 2" thick mattress than I do at home in my $3,000.00 sleep number bed that I overpaid for. (Of course at home I have to listen to the next door neighbor's freeking &*^%$ dog barking, but that's another story).

Buy whatever you are happy with, and don't listen to other's suggestions because they aren't you. Some people aren't happy until they own a BMW, and for whatever reason others are satisfied with a Hyundai.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #50

I found a mattress company in North Augusta S.C.
Rest master mattress co. Made a custom 11" thick Rv king mattress for my fifth wheel for under 750.00. I sent him the measurements and it was built to my spec.
We get a better night's sleep in our camper than we do our home.
It's another option for you.
camping kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #51

We put a 4" topper (2.5" High density foam and 1.5" memory foam) on our mattress on our 2018 Eagle HT Queen bed. It made a world of difference. We have slept quiet well with it. We were out 57 nights last summer and expect about the same this summer. Leaving next Thursday for a three week swing up to Niagara Falls, ON Canada and then east into New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia before coming home. We purchased our topper from Amazon. Good luck and enjoy the new camper.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #52

We bought a new 34FKDS and the new queen mattress that came with it was the same way. We bought a 4" memory foam topper and it made all the difference to us.
Dennis Eddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #53

We had the queen short in our greyhawk. Bought a new mattress from Amazon. A bed in a box. We love it.
Bikingjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #54

We purchased a memory foam mattress sleep innovations bed in a box 14 inches thick from menards and r very pleased with, having the mattress in the box made it easy to get into the bed just cut it open
CampingIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #55
L&G

We bought our 26bh new and the mattress was horrible from the start and got worse. We tried solving the problem by putting a good quality 3" memory foam topper on top of the mattress but it isn't enough. I'm a side sleeper and I feel like my hips are hitting plywood. We have the same memory foam toppers at home on top of innerspring mattresses and they are great. We need a short queen and you pay a premium to order a short queen. I'm looking at buying foam from The Foam Factory in the queen size and cutting off the extra five inches myself. They charge almost $100 more to do it for you. I'm looking at 6" of foam and then I'll put our memory foam topper on top of it.
L&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #56

We replaced the mattress the same day we picked up our trailer.. we learned from past experience.bought a good matress a s will keep it with is if we trade the trailer.. sometime down the line.. dealers love to advertise a new mattress with a used trailer
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd1634 View Post
We picked up a new to us 2017 32tsbh. This was the first weekend that we stayed overnight in it and the queen bed is like a solid brick to sleep on. We picked up an egg crate topper and it did not help. We are trying to figure out if a 3 or 4 inch memory foam topper would make it more comfortable or if a full replacement is best. The mattress is at least double the. Ost of a topper. We only use it from May to September on weekends and July and August full time. We don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want to do a topper and then have to replace it anyway. Any suggestions on what everyone has done for this is appreciated.
I got a inch topper. Will cooling effects. Rv size mattress is very expensive
Lindac63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #58

We're retiring next year and will be spending a lot more nights in the TT so we bit the bullet and got a Sleep Number mattress. Once we found our personal comfort numbers (80 for me, 65 for her) it's been very comfortable for both of us.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd1634 View Post
We picked up a new to us 2017 32tsbh. This was the first weekend that we stayed overnight in it and the queen bed is like a solid brick to sleep on. We picked up an egg crate topper and it did not help. We are trying to figure out if a 3 or 4 inch memory foam topper would make it more comfortable or if a full replacement is best. The mattress is at least double the. Ost of a topper. We only use it from May to September on weekends and July and August full time. We don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want to do a topper and then have to replace it anyway. Any suggestions on what everyone has done for this is appreciated.
Buy the new mattress.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #60

Back in the beginning, we put a topper 4" on the Denver that came with our TT. This was before foam mattresses were readily available on Amazon. It lasted a while, but eventually the mattress got bad enough that the whole works had to be replaced.

Replaced it with a 10" Zinus off Amazon and put a 2" topper on that. When we traded in the trailer on the MH, I didn't even touch the OEM mattress. During our PDI in the MH, the salesman came and asked me where the mattress for the trailer was. I pointed to the queen bed in the brand new MH and said "right there, take it!" I put my foam back in the MH when we got home.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote