Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

More comfortable dinette seating?

Hi Guys,

My wife is often complaining about the dinette seating. What are the options to make it more comfortable? I do not have photos of my trailer inside, but I have similar seating as this one (found online).

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #2

Ours is basically the same table. For me a little recline on the back and something a little firmer on the seat, it seems too easy to bottom out. There's not much I can do about the back, but if there's a zipper on the cushion I might try to look for some firmer replacement foam.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

we took the table and chair option with our 28RLS. we like that we can move the chairs and not stuck with the unmoving booth. They are not collapsible, but do have a little storage under the seat (about 4" deep) and we can move them a bit. However, when we go out to eat (which is frequently when back home) we prefer a booth over table and chairs.
I don't know the cost of removing the booth and putting in the table and chairs. I'd go to a dealership and physically look at one and measure sizes to see how it would fit in yours. The table is bolted to the floor like the dinette, the chairs can move, but also are tied to the floor with a buckle for travel, but you can release, we just keep ours a little loose.

If it's just her, maybe a good folding chair you can put at the end of the table in the meantime? Bungie store it under the table.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks Guys! I do recognize that this seating is not super comfortable, but IMO this belongs to first world problems. We were camping for many years with a tent ("before kids" period), so I won't be whining about "uncomfortable seating". But any way... you know how it works, happy wife, happy life...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

If she's complaining about bottoming out on the cushions, you want to replace the foam with something with a higher ILD (indentation load deflection). Go for at least 37 lbs, maybe up to 50 lbs. ILD basically determines the firmness, not the density or weight. More dense, heavier foams tend to last longer.

If it is the 90 degree angle between the seat and the back, get some small, squishy throw pillows.

Can you tell I've been through this recently...also with the bunk cushions?

By the way, I use an electric carving knife to cut the foam to the same measurements as the original.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

We have the same set up, and agree with wanting a change. Two recliners came with our rear living model which I am thinking about putting where the dinette is at. I would like to construct a daybed where the recliners are now. We rarely sit at the table now, as everybody finds a comfy spot to it and eat there meal. I grew up with TV trays, so these have been incorporated into our habits. I still have to run it by the boss. Just one of my crazy thoughts over the long winter.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #7

We replaced the foam with a denser type, world of difference. We like the added storage the bench type seating provides, also when we have been in RV's with table and chairs, it seems to always be an issue getting into the chair near the wall.

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

My wife made heavier duty foam cushions that were also thicker. But they still are not something you would want to sit on and read a book in the evening.

Since we need the under seat storage, I am considering buying boat seats that swivel. Mine are single seats, not two person ones as shown on the picture.

My other thought was to take out the seats completely ( about 10 staples and a couple of screws), and using decent computer type chairs that are light and compact.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote