Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Murphy Bed-Arm rest removal

I saw a mod where someone removed the armrest from the sofa to make it easier to get in and out of the murphy bed someplace. I have searched and searched and can't find it now. It may not have even been on this forum, but thought for sure it was on a Jayco trailer. That is the one thing we don't like about our murphy bed in our 23 MBH. The armrest of the sofa make it difficult to exit/enter/ and make up the bed. If someone has done this or knows where to find the thread on the mod I would really appreciate the link. Thanks you so much.

Feel free to send me a private message also.
podunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Open couch, look inside for 2-4 screws in the frame of sofa sides. Remove all applicable screws and arms are free.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Thank you so much. Very good info. Has anyone done this yet?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Yes, me!

Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #5

Awesome. Did it make it a lot better getting in/out/making bed? I noticed you left the bottom open, is that by design. Looks like a great place for shoes. I like having armrest when I sit down, so am looking at having some removable end tables instead that maybe I can put a cup holder on. Just spit balling, but yours looks good. Did you have to add any support?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunker View Post
Awesome. Did it make it a lot better getting in/out/making bed? I noticed you left the bottom open, is that by design. Looks like a great place for shoes. I like having armrest when I sit down, so am looking at having some removable end tables instead that maybe I can put a cup holder on. Just spit balling, but yours looks good. Did you have to add any support?
Yes, I do like the extra room, especially at foot level. I left the bottom open to add some containers I could slide in and out for more storage. Here's the re-inforcement:

I removed the wood cross-member and replaced it with square aluminum tubing. Added a 1200lb steel shelf bracket for lateral stability.

FWIW, after looking at this and seeing how much space the couch takes up I may just remove it entirely. I'm thinking of just using some end tables and some higher end zero-gravity recliners or other seating that will fold up out of the way when I want the bed down.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

We have the 23RBM and love the Murphy Bed. On issue I have is that when traveling and just stopping for the night (as in Rest Area) where we cannot use the slide out - the Murphy Bed will not come all the way down - it runs into the slide out wall! Only needs about one inch shaved off someplace to come all the way down but have not yet done anything about this. Any one out there have a similar problem and a safe and clean way to solve it?
Ronroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #8

Sorry Ronroamer my 23 MBH murphy bed will come all the way down with a couple inches to spare with the slide out in. I was worried it wouldn't when we bought it, pleasant surprise.