Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Bunk house trailers and poor ac,what is everyone else doing

We are currently is NC at Cape Hatteras KOA,campground is great but there is ZERO shade! 15k AC unit is keeping the trailer around 80 during the day but bunk room has to be 90 or more,it only has 1 duct running to it and it's wide open,blinds are closed,blanket over the window to help keep heat out and a fan blowing hot air out into kitchen to try ro move the air around.If I close 2 vents off the unit it gets more air obviously but worried I'll freeze the coil up.Id.like to eventually add second AC unit but it's only prepped for bedroom and that doesn't help bunk room.Any tips or ideas
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

I don't bother trying. You shouldn't be in a camper during the day anyways!

Seriously, I've only got a single 13.5 on our 32 footer bunkhouse. I did some workamping in NJ This summer averaged 110 in the sun all day. Once the sun dropped the AC cooled the camper quickly, and by the morning it was like a refrigerated box car.

Don't bother wasting the energy, camping should have a certain amount of "green" factor, right?

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
I don't bother trying. You shouldn't be in a camper during the day anyways!

Seriously, I've only got a single 13.5 on our 32 footer bunkhouse. I did some workamping in NJ This summer averaged 110 in the sun all day. Once the sun dropped the AC cooled the camper quickly, and by the morning it was like a refrigerated box car.

Don't bother wasting the energy, camping should have a certain amount of "green" factor, right?

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
We have dogs and I can't leave then out in the sun so they have to stay in the trailer,80 deg is comfortable when it's feeling 110.Yea I agree you shouldn't be in the trailer all day but when it's that hot you need some relief.I don't really go for the green factor,campfires make more pollution in my opinion
Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

We don't have any ducts in our bunks and they get pretty warm. We found some clamp on fans that we put on the wall by the opening and blow cool air from the main area into the bunks - the circulation alone helps, but you have to leave the curtains open a bit. One of the few disadvantages we have found with the bunks...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Put another AC on it. You can buy an AC for 600. It doesn't have to be ducted.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

Wifey found some 6" clamp-on fans that run on 120VAC and got them today...(Amazon). We will be spending our first night in it Sunday night, for a better check out.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Another thing we do is turn off the water heater at night - it is under the bottom bunk on our model and tends to heat up the bunk. I need to look at insulating the space better, but until I do, I just turn it off at night...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
Put another AC on it. You can buy an AC for 600. It doesn't have to be ducted.
Yea I am definitely cosidering that option, there is a vent in there where I could put another AC.Just have to find power
Old 08-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Wifey found some 6" clamp-on fans that run on 120VAC and got them today...(Amazon). We will be spending our first night in it Sunday night, for a better check out.
I bought a 18 inch fan that sits low to the floor and put that in the front of the trailer and have another one in the bunk room blowing out,actually kept it fairly cool today on the hottest day
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #10

I second adding another ac unit in the bunk room. I added mine myself made all the difference in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Small fans in the bunks to circulate air has really helped in our unit. It has the bunks in the rear corner, not a separate room.

I think I am going to upgrade them to small mountable 12volt fans and permanently mount them, then I will be able to run the fans while travelling. Our big issue we found this summer was when we stopped for the night at 9-11PM and just wanted to sleep, the camper was stifling in the bunk area and took some time to cool off. I am hoping if the air was moving as we travel it would help. The main area wasn't really that terrible.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
I second adding another ac unit in the bunk room. I added mine myself made all the difference in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have a vent already and use that hole or cut your own hole in the roof I am handy and could do it myself I'm sure.I take apart steam turbines in power plants I'm sure I can handle a AC unit
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #13

When we ordered our 28BHBE I asked Jayco to mount the AC Vent they put near the Top bunk inside the curtain instead of outside the curtain... They did so and since then I have noticed many more BHBE's built since then with that mod. Bottom bunk would still get pretty stuffy, currently we use it for storage so not a big issue yet.

If I had a Rear bunk room I would definetly have a 2nd AC. Surprised that is not an option from Jayco. Maybe it is if you ask?

Good luck with the install!
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
When we ordered our 28BHBE I asked Jayco to mount the AC Vent they put near the Top bunk inside the curtain instead of outside the curtain... They did so and since then I have noticed many more BHBE's built since then with that mod. Bottom bunk would still get pretty stuffy, currently we use it for storage so not a big issue yet.

If I had a Rear bunk room I would definetly have a 2nd AC. Surprised that is not an option from Jayco. Maybe it is if you ask?

Good luck with the install!
Our AC vent is mounted in the middle of the room and it's a directional vent that can be turned 360 degrees.We have sliding doors on our rooms,don't know.if because we have the eagle Premiere we have upgraded interior features.Our trailer wad a special order that fell thru and we scooped it up,I figured with the upgraded insulation a 15k would be good but I've learned the insulation isn't that good,after this trip I'm gonna price a second AC unit
Old 08-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

I added a return air vent above the bunkhouse door. I simply cut between the wall studs and screwed on the cover.

Made a HUGE difference in allowing the hot air to vent out of the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #16

a box fan on the floor makes a huge improvement for me. on my 32bhds
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #17

Try negative pressure ventilation. Take a 12" fan, open the window in the bunk area, place the fan about 6" in front of the window facing towards the window. Turn the fan on and it will pull the cooler air from other areas of the trailer. Make sure any other windows and vents are closed. You may open another window at the other end of the trailer but make sure the opening is about half the area of the open window by the fan. This way you don't get the wind from the fan but a nice breeze with good air flow/exchange.
Before I got a/c in my house I used this method, for several years, to cool off my beddroom at night by pulling the cool outside air into my room.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
Site Team

I have a room at the far end of the house that needed a little help with AC. I installed an in-duct blower fan... works GREAT!! Well they have them in a 12 volt version that you should be able to install in the bunk bed room vent. You can add a pull chain switch from the ceiling to turn it on or off, or wire in a thermostat to control it, in the bunk-house

Don
Attached Thumbnails
12 volt Duct fan.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #19

Remember hot air rises and cool air settles down to the floor. Change the direction of your floor fan. Blow the cool air at the floor into the bunk house. Let the hot air rise, if you have a roof vent open it a little so the hot air can escape.

Also have you checked the air filters on the AC unit? I clean mine about every 3-5 days. My filters are black, if I see grey they are dirty.

We were planning a trip to Cape Hatters, and staying in that KOA this summer, but unfortunately work schedules would not allow. I would love to hear more about your trip. I am guessing it will be two years before we can make it out there. As a kid I lived in Havelock (near Nags Head), we were out to Hatters a lot. I would guess its been 30 years since my last visit.

Happy Travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

We ha e a similar problem but it's not really the bunk house...the whole trailer just doesn't get cool enough in full sun when it's 90 plus. I have 50 amp service and I am wired for the second a/c. I will be putting one on in the spring.
It seems to be a common problem with the new rigs and a/c's I talk to a lot of people and the all say the same thing. The older rv's were like ice boxes when the a/c ran for awhile.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote