Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #1

Need to replace awning material

I searched multiple threads on the forum but did not find the information I am looking for. I need to replace the awning material on my TT. While looking online for material I see several options: vinyl, acrylic and heavy duty.
So first question- in regards to material type vinyl or acrylic? why or why not?
Second question- heavy duty or not?
I plan on keeping my TT for many more years and want to ensure I make a wise purchase.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

Check you tube

Morton’s on the move and Rv Geeks just did videos on You Tube about a month ago showed how to replace them yourself and what to order. Hope that helps
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmgrose View Post
Morton’s on the move and Rv Geeks just did videos on You Tube about a month ago showed how to replace them yourself and what to order. Hope that helps
So what I am looking for is opinions from people who have replaced the awning material to give me recommendations of which material to order. The two sites you referenced do not provide that information.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #4

I bought this last year before to replace the one with all the tape holding it in ...
16' Pacific Blue w/Wht W/G, RV Patio Awning Repl. fabric canopy (Fabric:15'2")

i got it from Ebay from shadeproinc it was $199. It wasn't the most expensive but not the cheapest either.. the "fabric" is much more stout than the factory one and was well made and IMO a good purchase.

I had the same dilemma as you... I would buy this one again...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

I went through this a few years ago with the 5th wheel we had prior to our motorhome. We needed to replace four slide toppers and the main awning. We went with a heavy duty vinyl from www.toughtopawnings.com. We were very happy with the product and the material was far superior to the 'stock' material.

Now, why did we choose vinyl and not acrylic. The acrylic look to me like a 'sheet' product and felt more rubbery than vinyl. Because of its 'sheet' style it seemed like it could get more brittle over time and temp changes and that if a rip or tear started somewhere that it would likely 'run' all the way up or across. The vinyl on the otherhand looked almost like it was MFG'd similar to ripstop material, where if there was an issue it would be isolated by the materials structure. As it was also more fabric like than rubber like I felt that it would be more resistant to the elements. Like I said we were happy with it.

If you do choose to go vinyl I couldn't recommend a better place than Tough Top. We followed their measuring instructions and the product was perfectly cut. Their customer support was also top notch and they provided a ton of guidnace for installation.

Whatever you choose, best of luck with the replacement.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
I went through this a few years ago with the 5th wheel we had prior to our motorhome. We needed to replace four slide toppers and the main awning. We went with a heavy duty vinyl from www.toughtopawnings.com. We were very happy with the product and the material was far superior to the 'stock' material.

Now, why did we choose vinyl and not acrylic. The acrylic look to me like a 'sheet' product and felt more rubbery than vinyl. Because of its 'sheet' style it seemed like it could get more brittle over time and temp changes and that if a rip or tear started somewhere that it would likely 'run' all the way up or across. The vinyl on the otherhand looked almost like it was MFG'd similar to ripstop material, where if there was an issue it would be isolated by the materials structure. As it was also more fabric like than rubber like I felt that it would be more resistant to the elements. Like I said we were happy with it.

If you do choose to go vinyl I couldn't recommend a better place than Tough Top. We followed their measuring instructions and the product was perfectly cut. Their customer support was also top notch and they provided a ton of guidnace for installation.

Whatever you choose, best of luck with the replacement.
Thank you this is exactly the input I was looking for. Today I stopped at a Camping World and compared the vinyl with the acrylic. I will go with vinyl.