Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #21

I always have the gas on when I travel. Less you have a warm fridge. I change once I am at the campsite and able to turn on the power.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #22
TOS

Like some others said, pre-cool 1-2 days (depending on outside temps) on shore power if available or LPG. Ready to travel, make sure your propane burner is going on the fridge (usually can hear the little burner). Load all your food and drinks and your ready to travel.
Wife & I drove about 3K miles in Oct. had some pretty strong winds too. Just left fridge on auto and had no problems.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #23

My Greyhawk stays in Auto mode all the time. Sitting still or going down the road. My first propane refrigerator was in a 1970 Dodge Travco 27 ft motorhome with a 440 cu inch V-8 engine. I drove it from Pensacola,Fl to Disneyland in California non stop in 31 hrs . Me and my dad only stopped for gas and took turns driving. We got some real funny looks going down I-10 on our trip. Best trip of my life. Not many motorhomes on the toad back then......
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #24

I went from Michigan to Yellowstone using the propane fridge while traveling. No issues whatsoever. In fact, I was surprised how little propane it used. Our food was always cold after ten hours of driving per day.
Mgkramer963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #25

We have the 2019 Whitehawk 28RL and love it! We bring it home from the storage lot the day before a trip and plug it into shore power and get the frig cold, then always travel with the gas on. No problems!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #26
crl

My DW and I have the 2019 WhiteHawk 28RL and really like it. Tows great and the floor plan works good. We always turn the fridge on at least 24 hours before we load it for a trip. We make sure all the fridge stuff is cold before we put it in. We also freeze a couple of 1 liter plastic bottles of water and put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. This keeps it cold even if you decide not to travel with propane on.

We do travel most of the time with the fridge on propane. We did learn that if the trailer has been stored for a while, we need to purge the propane line to make sure the fridge does not fault out. We just light a stove burner for a few minutes and this does away with the problem.

Hope you enjoy your WhiteHawk as much as we do. Safe travels.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #27

I'm sure this has been beaten to death. But I've owned motorhomes since 1995 and have always ran with the gas on. We usually cool over night and load the next morning. I've driven 16 hours on gas. I've never given it a thought. That's what the gas is for I thought. If you are afraid of blowing up going down the road I would never sleep in it.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote