Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
The 29RKS has a big window too. I love that big window. Attachment 58065
We just bought a new 2020 29RKS Got it hometown find the the slide roof was a freeking mess. Puckered roof membrane and seal that looks like a snake. Now back at dealership to fix. Disappointing. Not the dealers fault. What was going on in the factory to allow it out the door????
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #22

With the deals that can be had right now....have you checked the current prices?

You won't be camping anytime soon, so what is the hurry?

Can you back out of the deal?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #23

You already decided but I was going to agree with the no to the option crowd. I avoid any holes in something that is suppose to hold out water. From boat hulls to roofs.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
We just bought a new 2020 29RKS Got it hometown find the the slide roof was a freeking mess. Puckered roof membrane and seal that looks like a snake. Now back at dealership to fix. Disappointing. Not the dealers fault. What was going on in the factory to allow it out the door????

It seems these days there is no quality control or pride in the product produced with rv manufacturers.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #25

No way! Leave it as it came from the factory.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #26

I guess I'm in the minority. We have a skylight in the kitchen area and love it. Ton's of sunlight during the day. Just remember too close the shade before you go to bed.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #27

Our Jayco 23MRB was very dark so
We appreciated the skylight. It did let in a lot of heat. In our new 5th wheel we have an automatic MaxXAir fan and it is great. A little light and great air movement. So if you decide you want the skylight consider either fantastic fan or MaxXAir fan.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #28

My friend ordered the same unit here in Illinois without the skylight but his came with one. I wonder if he got yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklavoon View Post
I called my dealer today so see where my 2020 32BHDS trailer was at since we placed the order on 1/26/20. With the COVID issues going on, I know things were going to be delayed, I was just looking for an update.

He called me back and told me it arrived on Monday, but they "forgot to install the skylight". He said that they had the parts on hand to install the skylight and would cut in the roof to install it prior to my delivery on 5/2.

It was the owner I was talking to and sounded like he was running the whole place himself to coordinate delivery, etc. He couldn't tell me if it was the vent in the bathroom or the $112 kitchen skylight that I paid for as an option. I would assume it was the one in the kitchen. I would think it would be kinda hard to ship it without the bathroom vent being installed. He said that Jayco was in a rush to pump out as many units prior to the Indiana plant shutdown and that is why it got missed. The bathroom vent is the only vent in the whole camper, there is not one in the rear bunkroom or front sleeping area.

Should I allow him to cut into the roof and install the kitchen skylight? He assured me that the 2 year warranty would still be valid. He also told me that the framing for the skylight was already in the roof trusses, that it would be a matter of zipping out the plywood and dropping in the vent. I could kinda see that Jayco would go this route in order to mass produce roofs and then just drop in the skylight itself when it was requested as an option.

Thanks for weighing in....I am just wondering how much trouble I am in for down the road.
nfd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #29

You are good "IF" the framing really is there but if it isn't it could be potential problem
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #30

Kitchen Skylight

I am on my second Jayco. First one 2015 I stepped thru the skylight and replaced it with white. No one could get to it soon enough so I did it myself. My 2018 has two also and I have replaced both with white. helps a lot with heat. The after market ones are twice as thick as the factory ones. Good luck.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #31

I love our skylight in the kitchen, adds a lot of light where it’s needed. As mentioned, it’s not hard to do, as long as the tech does it properly it should be fine. I would express your concern about it being done correctly the first time. Chances are the install is not differant wether done at the factory or the dealer. One positive is that when done on the assembly line, those guys are under the clock to get it done before it moves to the next step on assembly. At least the dealer hopefully won’t be “ under the gun” to “ hurry and get it done” type of attitude. And like I said, I’d go ahead with it and I would express total confidence in the dealer (be positive) , but I would also express a concern For the individual doing the actual install. Maybe with that the dealer may offer to “ put my best guy on it” .
That’ll make it a win win for everyone!
Enjoy the camper!
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.jurnigan View Post
snip..... The after market ones are twice as thick as the factory ones. Good luck.
Which after-market manufacture did you go with?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
No way! Leave it as it came from the factory.
Because that is perfect? If you want something and paid for it, get it. You chose to not get it out of fear a local dealer can’t do as good as a manufacturer? I feel the dealer will do just as good a job. Living where I do I can’t go back to the manufacturer, I would need to go back to the dealer. The one issue I have had was covered by warrantee thru email/pictures, I fixed it myself.
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #34

Dark Kitchen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklavoon View Post
Thanks everyone. I will call the dealer back to see which skylight it is.

I forgot about the skylight over the bathtub.

I really want some additional light in the kitchen area as it is really dark in our current 29QBH, but I also don't want any long term problems.
----------------------
Install a really nice, bright LED light fixture in the kitchen and add a bright replacement bulb in the vent hood.

My wife is starting to have vision issues and bright lights are a help.

I replaced my two kitchen ceiling lights (double bulb) with two LED fixtures (around ) from M4 LED Products. They are just under $50 each, item number KW-295-660), each have switch on the light that can be bypassed to use a wall switch, and each have 162 LEDs rated at 3240 Lumens and draw only 2 amps each. Started by purchasing one, added another after seeing the effect.

They have different sizes and just about anything you would want in LED.

The company employee I spoke with was very helpful and seemed to know his product.

https://m4products.com/kw-295-660-ts...t-panel-light/
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #35

Final Post on this subject from me.

Picked up the camper today. Jayco is apparently now printing out a "Window Sticker" of the unit much like a car window sticker.....apparently they just started doing this.

Anyway...on this window sticker, there was no skylight which tells me that it was not ordered correctly from the dealer. So, it was not a production issue or rush, it was a dealer mistake.

So, I got my $112 back and he mounted my 39" TV I provided with the Ke-Block on the swivel TV in the living room area for no charge. Plus there are 10 LED lights in the living area. These lights + the larger windows, I don't think I am going to miss the skylight in the kitchen.

So, all's well that ends well.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #36
Site Team

It sounds like you're happy with the final outcome, and you're dealer was decent about it. Thanks for the update.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote