Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #1

Newbie tips! Help please! Recommendations!

I bought a TT but i dont know anything about it. lol I literally dont know how to operate anything yet as ive been focused on making sure everything is sealed and using the correct sealants and what not. I think ive got that part figured out. Ive read some threads and watched some you tube videos but its overwhelming trying to take it all in. Any products you use or things that make your life easier when staying in the TT or anything you think of that a noob wouldnt know! Any tips on anything at all would be appreciated

I want to do a full interior cleaning as it a used trailer. Would like to clean from top to bottom wiping the ceilings, cabinets, walls and floors. What cleaners should i use? I dont want to damage or discolor anything. But want it sanitized..

Ive read many things about moisture. Do you really need a dehumidifier? Doesnt the AC take moisture out of the air? Ive read about issues with mold under the mattresses or in storage areas? Definitely dont want that..

What about bugs? Saw some tiny ants around the sink and saw a huge tarantula looking spider on the the outside wall. So im planning on putting some screen over the refridge access vents. Hope he didnt make his way in there? Anywhere else to seal for prevention? Do you use some kind of insecticides inside or repellants?

Thats whats on my mind at the moment im sure theres many other things i havent even thought of yet. Please share! Thank you!
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #2

Just search anything you're not sure of.
We have a once a year home bug service for the house. If the tt is in the drive when they do the house they will do the tt.(no extra charge) So we seldom have bug problems. If we do at the house we call and they come, don't know when the last time we had to call. In the tt I carry a can of spray to take care of any bugs, mostly use it to kill ants at various sites.
Hope that helps a little, and welcome.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #3

If you have a facebook account there is a Jayco forum there to get answers also. Always a learning experience
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

To clean the tt, I use the same products that I use in the house.

I usually do not have a bug issue. When our tt was new, I crawled underneath and filled every hole I could find. If it was big, I first inserted some stainless steel scrubby pad, then applied some marine grade caulking. I really did this to keep the mice out.

Our power cord, gets shoved into a small hole. I use the same scrubby pad, with a slit cut in it, to wrap around the cord behind the little door. I have found many dead bugs in it.

Good, luck, have fun.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #5

For the bed, under the mattress we have a pad about 1" thick plastic wirey mesh like a scotchbrite pad but more porous and it allows air circulation under there. No problems.

We also have two tabletop dehumidifiers ("ProBreeze"), one in the BR and one in the LR and they work well. We hang a DampRid bag in the shower. When we lived in southern coastal GA in the summer, we had zero problems with mold or humidity. You are correct about the A/C's helping. Here in the arid mesa plains of Las Cruces, NM, those dehumidifiers have filed for unemployment.

Good luck with the new rig!

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
For the bed, under the mattress we have a pad about 1" thick plastic wirey mesh like a scotchbrite pad but more porous and it allows air circulation under there. No problems.

We also have two tabletop dehumidifiers ("ProBreeze"), one in the BR and one in the LR and they work well. We hang a DampRid bag in the shower. When we lived in southern coastal GA in the summer, we had zero problems with mold or humidity. You are correct about the A/C's helping. Here in the arid mesa plains of Las Cruces, NM, those dehumidifiers have filed for unemployment.

Good luck with the new rig!

Angus
Thanks for sharing. Where did you purchase this pad for under the bed? Do you know what its called?
Old 11-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
To clean the tt, I use the same products that I use in the house.

I usually do not have a bug issue. When our tt was new, I crawled underneath and filled every hole I could find. If it was big, I first inserted some stainless steel scrubby pad, then applied some marine grade caulking. I really did this to keep the mice out.

Our power cord, gets shoved into a small hole. I use the same scrubby pad, with a slit cut in it, to wrap around the cord behind the little door. I have found many dead bugs in it.

Good, luck, have fun.
Thanks Ja i like the scrubby pad around the cord idea! Ill check underneath for holes too!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #8

I suggest you first focus on any towing issues to make sure you get all of that right, correct hitch setup, etc. Nothing else is likely to be fatal (literally) and, with the right attitude, there is some fun to learning as you go if you're able to not stress out about things that don't threaten your health and safety. Just a thought. Try to relax and enjoy the journey.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #9

You can learn a lot about your systems, heat, air, fridge, toilet, shower, pump. etc. by doing a driveway camp out. Literately, set up in the drive and spend the evening, supper, sleep and breakfast in your camper. Write down everything you have to go into the house and get. Use that list to buy stuff or put duplicates into the camper.

For years we hauled the toaster, camp chairs, some cookware, etc. out of the house, into the camper and back again until we could afford getting those things for your camper and leaving them there. My wife has a list of things she will not leave in the camper - ALL FOOD, personal shower stuff, clothes and a few other things. Over the years I have acquired tools and operating stuff that never leaves the camper. It takes time to figure it out.

Your second trip should be to a nearby campground for a full weekend. This will let you learn set up, tear down, connections to power, water, sewer, etc.

Happy Camping, see you down the road!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Thanks for sharing. Where did you purchase this pad for under the bed? Do you know what its called?

Here you go...
https://www.mattressinsider.com/?s=hyper+vent
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #11

Hi All,
+1 on the Mattress Insider 3/4" pad. We lived on a boat for years and there would be puddles under mattresses without the pad due to condensation. It cost me $100 for one on the trailer but it's worth it for avoiding that issue completely.
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperD View Post
Hi All,
+1 on the Mattress Insider 3/4" pad. We lived on a boat for years and there would be puddles under mattresses without the pad due to condensation. It cost me $100 for one on the trailer but it's worth it for avoiding that issue completely.
I was looking at hypervent pad. Was surprised how expensive. I was reading it's more important in cold climates is this true? I'm in south florida so never really gets that cold. Think I still need it? Know of any cheaper alternative?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
I was looking at hypervent pad. Was surprised how expensive. I was reading it's more important in cold climates is this true? I'm in south florida so never really gets that cold. Think I still need it? Know of any cheaper alternative?
The armchair meteorologist in me can’t imagine how cold would make for more moisture unless we are talking about rapid temperature change. We lived in SE coastal GA which is essentially a suburb of FL and you could practically watch the condensation. For example looking at your propane tanks in the morning to check your fuel level by looking at the condensation line. Here in the cold and arid winter desert of NM, where temps can change over 40 F in just 2 hours based on sunlight, the only condensation is in our A/C.
-Angus
Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Exclamation mattressinsider code for 5% off - EXTRA5

Quote:

I agree with Joan617 that all climates have condensation, even Southern California where I sailed for decades. You may not notice it until you lift up your mattress and see black spots on the bottom.

Btw....mattressinsider.com has a discount for 5% off with the code EXTRA5 at checkout.
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperD View Post
I agree with Joan617 that all climates have condensation, even Southern California where I sailed for decades. You may not notice it until you lift up your mattress and see black spots on the bottom.

Btw....mattressinsider.com has a discount for 5% off with the code EXTRA5 at checkout.
Thanks they actually have 11% off right now! Cyber monday. I read somewhere that you can put similar material AC filters underneath or cardboard. I dont know if cardboard would help? Wouldnt it just get the cardboard wet instead of wood? Still would be moisture for mold...

I only need it for the mattress I'll be using right? Because I have murphy bed and 2 bunks. Top bunk will prob never be used. Was actually thinking about removing it so I could have nice head room for bottom bunk and use that as my main bed. That way i dont have to put murphy bed up and down every night. When it's up it turns into couch. I think the bunk are actually a few inches longer too and I'm 6'1. I wont know until I try them tho. I have not slept in here yet.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #16

I didn't see if you stated the model of your Jay Flight. Regardless, you should be able to download and print the generic user manual for your TT from the Jayco website. This will give you some basics for operation.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #17

Wheel chocks. You can see where the guy here before me tongue jack slid down the hill. Luckily the spot behind was empty at the time. He told me if he got here an hour after it happened. The septic pipe hook up is what stopped him.
Attached Thumbnails
C34B7FEF-936C-474F-AE70-9740F4540CDB.jpg  
Bstrine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstrine99 View Post
Wheel chocks. You can see where the guy here before me tongue jack slid down the hill. Luckily the spot behind was empty at the time. He told me if he got here an hour after it happened. The septic pipe hook up is what stopped him.
Yup got chocks thanks !
Old 12-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #19

Use bronze or cooper wool instead of the steel pads, no rust issues.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #20

Hey Guy .... We are fairly new as well ... about a year with our TT ... I think we have learned more by watching the YouTube camping channels than anything. We have a few that we watch and follow each week. There is no way to get it all in one setting so the visual of seeing others apply their knowledge has helped us so much. From the different types of equipment others use, to the best camp sites and more ... we still make mistakes and we are still learning. Happy Camping!!
umeandkime is offline   Reply With Quote