Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge above 7,000’

Our Hummingbird’s Norcold fridge worked via propane this summer on the lot when we purchased, at 5,000’ in elevation; however, I could not get it to light at our home at 8,600’ (worked great with shore power). So it’s in now for warranty work, and CW said they got the fridge to fire up just fine - but I couldn’t when at the same altitude as the dealership, this fall. My question is, if it does indeed work at 5,000’, but won’t at higher altitudes that we commonly use, is there a mod to help it where the air is thin? Does everyone else’s Norcold work ok on propane mode at high elevations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
dee

I had a problem at 8500. The automatic ignitor wouldnt work, but I could light it with a lighter. There was a small valve that I adjusted down until I could get it to light. Sorry I don't have any better explanation or pictures, but you may be able to look at yours and figure it out.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

Good to know it stays lit without too much trouble to light. Will hope it runs ok between campgrounds at elevation, Bryce to Yellowstone.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I had a problem at 8500. The automatic ignitor wouldnt work, but I could light it with a lighter. There was a small valve that I adjusted down until I could get it to light. Sorry I don't have any better explanation or pictures, but you may be able to look at yours and figure it out.

Thanks. I’m hoping the dealer mechanic can show me this valve. I’ve heard of it before, turned with a flat blade screwdriver but can’t find it.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #5

I live at 7100 and my dealer is at 5000. I had a few problems with it igniting when I first got it. Some of the insulation styrofoam fell down into the burner area and was blocking some airflow in general. After I took care of this with some compressed air, it ran much better. Note that also I believe there should be an air mixture slider. If you are going to run at higher altitudes most of the time, then you should open the air mixture up a little to help it compensate for the reduced density of O2 in the air. Just try to optimize the flame to the best as you can get it.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I live at 7100 and my dealer is at 5000. I had a few problems with it igniting when I first got it. Some of the insulation styrofoam fell down into the burner area and was blocking some airflow in general. After I took care of this with some compressed air, it ran much better. Note that also I believe there should be an air mixture slider. If you are going to run at higher altitudes most of the time, then you should open the air mixture up a little to help it compensate for the reduced density of O2 in the air. Just try to optimize the flame to the best as you can get it.

Where is this elusive air mixture slider??? I’ve heard of it but can’t find it. Would you be willing to snap a photo for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

So my rig is at the dealer for other fixes, however I did a search, it appears that there may not be an actual slider on most of the fridges. Instead they have air intake holes already predrilled and sized on the burner office right where the jet connects to the tube. You need to make sure that all of these holes are free and clear. If you think that the air holes are not big enough, you could technically bore out the size of those holes a little...BUT this will more than likely void your warranty and could present other fire dangers if not done correctly. Due to this, I take no responsibility for anything you do, I am just stating how it works. The propane comes in from the jet and through a process called the Venturi effect, it pulls air in through those holes and sends it to the burner area where it lights. The larger those holes, the more air gets let in, however like I said, if not done right, the Venturi effect goes down and you could potentially be letting propane escape other than through the burner and the potential for a big boom exists. Norcold only recommends propane as high as 5500 ft. I would expect them to possibly make a high altitude burner, but I have not been able to find it. I can say though that I have had my fridge as high as 9318 ft and it worked fine as long as my orfices were clean.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

That helps. Thanks. I know the spot where the holes are. All clear. I don’t plan on drilling anything at this point. Seems like my neighbors propane fridges all work fine up here around 9,000’... so we’ll see what happens at the dealership... if they have any thoughts. Really appreciate your time though.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

We camped at Bryce last year, had no problem with the propane appliances.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote