Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #21

If you are talking about the tongue jack, stick a block of wood under it, go to any RV store and get a new foot. Problem solved
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
The foot and the tube attached to the foot were MIA on arrival home today
We cant unhook the 212 QB from the tow vehicle.
We are going to the dealer tomorrow so they can use a forklift and cribbing till the part comes in so we aren't attached permanently
The electric part of the jack is still there.
Maybe we did something dumb but we'd appreciate advice on how to avoid this in the future.
We had about a 150 mile drive over typical Maine frost heaved back roads today.
Here are my thoughts, inside the jack is a screw shaft that the motor (or crank) rotates which raises and lowers the trailer tongue. I suspect that the pin that holds the top gear fell out or otherwise came loose allowing the tube section to fall out.

There isn't a lot you can do to prevent this, however if you can determine the make and model of the jack, you may be able to find some repair documents that may also state where to lubricate the internal mechanism which would also allow you to inspect the internal mechanism. However, even with inspection it is often impossible to determine that a pin is about to break or fall out, but sometimes that can be determined.

My thought regarding prevention, about the only way to keep from losing parts if the internal pin falls out, is to use a section of very thin cable (similar in size to many break-a-way brake disconnect cables) and then when the jack is fully retracted (close to fully, best to stop prior to hitting the end point) attach one end of the cable to the foot, loop the cable around the trailer tongue just behind the jack, and back down again the to foot. That way if it ever did come loose again it could only drop a couple of inches prior to the cable stopping it from falling further. A small chain should work as well, maybe easier to obtain along with chain hooks\latches. ~CA

Something like in the image, keep in mind they come in different lengths so you would need to measure what length would work best on your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 06-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #23

Lots of talk.

Ultimately, I have never heard of one falling apart. I suspect this is a fluke, and I would not worry to much about it.

My brother has dragged two posts from not raising them all they way. Post was bent, they never broke apart.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #24

Yes. It happens. Happened to me twice. Dont know if jack is same, on my Lippert 3.0 system on my Northpoint lost one middle leg, luckily as I parked it and began to let jacks down. It let go and dropped out of tube. The other middle jack did the same at another time. The pin at top of rod on both had sheared somehow, and dropped legs out.
SO to prevent this happening going down road I've installed carabiner clips on cables attached to frame backet on all four middle and rear stands. When I raise them I clip them up. I unclip them when I park.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonBecky View Post
Yes. It happens. Happened to me twice. Dont know if jack is same, on my Lippert 3.0 system on my Northpoint lost one middle leg, luckily as I parked it and began to let jacks down. It let go and dropped out of tube. The other middle jack did the same at another time. The pin at top of rod on both had sheared somehow, and dropped legs out.
SO to prevent this happening going down road I've installed carabiner clips on cables attached to frame backet on all four middle and rear stands. When I raise them I clip them up. I unclip them when I park.
Your Northpoint has a totally different system than what is on a TT. I do agree that pin probably sheared, and let it fall out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote