Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

Pressurized Fresh Water System Leaking When Towing?

Hi all,

The wife and I just bought a used 2018 Jayflight SLX (32). We were meticulous when purchasing to check all of the seals (which visually looked to be in great shape) and check for any signs of water damage. None were found. In fact, the trailer still smells brand new (no stale or musty odor). We moved it down to our seasonal sight on the weekend and when we went inside the next day the carpet in front of the slideout was wet. Not the carpet in the slideout box, but in the trailer where the slide retracts over. The water appears to have come from where the hot water tank resized (between the front and back slides). I am looking into various possibilities (wiper seal not in the correct position, water on top of the slide not fully removed before travel, seal leaks, etc.). But one thing my wife mentioned I should check is the fresh water system. We tested it before we bought the trailer and there were no leaks. However, before towing the trailer we did not depressurize the system. I am new to owning an RV, so I am not sure itld cause the lines to leak at their connection point.

Just trying to rule some things out, can someone could me if towing with the freshwater system still under pressure can cause water to leak out of the system?

Cheers
RV-Newbie-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums.

QQ, was it raining in the days prior to you finding the wet carpet? I usually turn my water pump off when traveling or when not needed and relieve the pressure on the lines, however even if I didn't do that, I wouldn't expect that to cause a leak, unless a line broke and the pump continued to run causing the water to leak out of somewhere.

Some people have reported A/C condensation dripping from above and onto the carpet below, have you been running the A/C and checked for this possibility? ~CA
Old 06-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #3

As long as you didnt leave the fresh water pump on while traveling, doubtful much water would leak out of the plumbing system just because it was pressurized. The pressure will quickly decrease as water leaks out and not much water would leak. This assumes you have a leak in the supply side plumbing. I dont make it a point to depressurize before travel, never thought of it.

You can easily and quickly diagnose a leak in the supply side by merely pressurizing it (add water, turn pump on) and sit back and watch.

Did it rain? Is the camper level, or unlevel in the direction water would run towards that slides seals? You can hose shoot water all around the slide and see if it leaks.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The camper is level with a slight tile away from the main body, so any water on the slide should run away from the trailer, not toward it.

It was not raining when travelling, but it rained heavily (torrentially in fact) the night before and the slides were open. I did not think to tilt the trailer prior to retracting the slides to run off the water (nor did I think to get up and remove the water with a squeegee), so not sure if the water came in when I retracted the slides and then dumped off the top inside the trailer when towing.

It has rained off and on since we cleaned up the water and dried it off, and it is no wetter. not sure that is relevant, but I thought I should mention it.
RV-Newbie-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #5

Based on your observations and the heavy rain prior to travel, I would say the inside water most likely came from a slide leak before your travel.

Note a leak at the slide is not normal and should be looked into for correction. A slide should not leak level or unlevel, even sloped towards the camper body. Even when retracting with water atop, a proper sealed slide should not leak (you should not have to "get up and squeegee"). Residual water atop is not going to be much, not enough to soak carpet.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Based on your observations and the heavy rain prior to travel, I would say the inside water most likely came from a slide leak before your travel.

Note a leak at the slide is not normal and should be looked into for correction. A slide should not leak level or unlevel, even sloped towards the camper body. Even when retracting with water atop, a proper sealed slide should not leak (you should not have to "get up and squeegee"). Residual water atop is not going to be much, not enough to soak carpet.
If that is the source a slide topper may help.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

Just for grins...
Pressurize your system in the evening. Turn off pump, do not relieve pressure, go in the house for the night.

Next morning see if there is still pressure. If not, likely a leak.

When using fresh water and no one is using the water you hear the pump 'brrr' for a split second you probably have a leak.

Be sure any outside faucets (including low point drains) are turned off.

When I relieve the pressure after turning off the pump I'll get several ounces of water from the pressurized system.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Just for grins...
Pressurize your system in the evening. Turn off pump, do not relieve pressure, go in the house for the night.

Next morning see if there is still pressure. If not, likely a leak.

When using fresh water and no one is using the water you hear the pump 'brrr' for a split second you probably have a leak.

Be sure any outside faucets (including low point drains) are turned off.

When I relieve the pressure after turning off the pump I'll get several ounces of water from the pressurized system.
X2!!!! Turning the pump off after it has reached shut-off pressure and then leaving it off without using any water is one of the easiest ways to check for leaks. I usually check mine by waiting 24 hours before turning the pump back on. If it doesn't cycle on, you do not have a leak.
You do have to keep in mind that the pump check valve can allow a slow leak back into the fresh water tank, in that case, you may lose pressure without actually having a leak.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote