Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
So, what exactly do they do? Redirect air flow? Slow down air flow?

Also, on the Coleman, I have slide registers on the cover that I can open/close to let more air go to the other ceiling vents. What happens to them?
It looks like they redirect the air to clean up the flow (to reduce noise) and muffle the rumble a little. You will lose the slide registers that you are referring to...we call them the "dump vents."

My current and previous trailers both have the Coleman Mach ducted A/C units. They are definitely noticeable when they turn on, but not overwhelming.

My parents' current and previous trailers both have Dometic ducted A/C units. Those are another level of noise compared to my Colemans. When the Dometic units come on, my mother goes from a sweet, docile, loving grandmother to a crazed hell spawn in about 15 seconds! I've ordered one of the Wacko "silencers" to test with their Dometic unit in the living room. $200 will seem like a real deal if it keeps my mom out of jail!

In all seriousness, I'll try to post back with our experience. We should have it installed sometime around New Years. I'll try to take some sound readings, but the real test will be my poor mother's reaction.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
So, what exactly do they do? Redirect air flow? Slow down air flow?

Also, on the Coleman, I have slide registers on the cover that I can open/close to let more air go to the other ceiling vents. What happens to them?

What they do, essentially they seal off the exit air coming directly from the unit and force it through the ducted work in your ceiling. I too had the adjustable registers, I don't miss them as my ceiling vents are adjustable. Additionally, the intake flow is now is routed under the cover instead of direct up into the unit, the cover functions as a muffler for the intake airflow. I love them and wonder why their not standard equipment on our rigs. We can watch TV without raising the volume when they cut onb and even have a normal conversation.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #23

We still have an old school non ducted AC, and it is annoying during the day. At night with the HTT bunk ends, it dead-ends a lot of the other camp noise.

At work I have done a lot of sound studies to quiet down some of our production lines. I found air movement is our worse offender of noise.

I have been thinking of doing (been at this phase for a number of years now), adding some dynomat or other sound damping materials first to the outside of the AC metal shroud, and see how that improves the noise, then adding some aircraft sound damping tape inside the duct to reduce the vibrations. Nice part is I could barrow a high quality sound meter, which will log the frequencies and amplitudes so I can isolate and tailor the solution to the problem frequency(s). Maybe I will get to it this year, now that I have a good power supply at home to run the AC anytime.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #24

The verdict is in. Mom says the RV AC silencer is awesome. Dad agrees. So do I. They may survive retirement trips in the RV, yet!

They have a Dometic AC that is really loud. They needed the WackO silencer model DA400.

I just installed the silencer. The "ear test" says it cut the sound in half.

I downloaded an app to compare the sound levels. It shows about a 5 decibel reduction across most of the sound spectrum. Here are the before and after screenshots.

I'm sold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191228-201303.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	55525Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191228-204625.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	55526
Old 12-29-2019, 02:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
The verdict is in. Mom says the RV AC silencer is awesome. Dad agrees. So do I. They may survive retirement trips in the RV, yet!

They have a Dometic AC that is really loud. They needed the WackO silencer model DA400.

I just installed the silencer. The "ear test" says it cut the sound in half.

I downloaded an app to compare the sound levels. It shows about a 5 decibel reduction across most of the sound spectrum. Here are the before and after screenshots.

I'm sold.

Attachment 55525Attachment 55526
I watched the video and don't see the benefit. I can close the vents that allow the air to flow directly out (thus sending the bulk of the A/C and noise through the duct work) and cut the sound without this addon.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #26

Until you have installed one, you really don’t know. My Dometic 15K BTU is much quieter.

All are much quieter when you close the blow down vent, not talking about that.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I watched the video and don't see the benefit. I can close the vents that allow the air to flow directly out (thus sending the bulk of the A/C and noise through the duct work) and cut the sound without this addon.
Well, I've told you my experience. In my trailer with a Coleman Mach 15k A/C, I have no intention of buying and installing the A/C silencer--the Coleman just isn't that loud.

However, the Dometic 15k unit in my parent's trailer--even with the vent closed so the air goes through the ducts--was ridiculously loud. We installed the WackO DA400 and it made a noticable and demonstrable effect on the noise level in the trailer.

While $200 seems like a lot of money for what came in the box, I believe the level of comfort it provides for my parents and their guests more than justifies the price for us. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

I've attached an image of the stock grill for the Dometic A/C units in my parents' trailer. It took us about 30 minutes to install, but we were taking our time and visiting about other things as we worked. One person could do it, but a second set of hands made it easier.Name:  Ceiling-Assembly-for-new-DA400.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 12-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #28

I have a jayco 2018 29QBS. The trailer is in storage. Not sure of make of AC. It is a ceiling mount air conditioner. If I close the vent in the kitchen its quieter. If I run the fan at low speed and close the kitchen vent it ends up cutting out in the middle of the night. Dealer recommends running on high when using AC.
Newfie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #29

Quieter ACs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie57 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a quieter air conditioner. Our unit is extremely noisy inside and we cannot hear ourselves think when it kicks on.
My 2017 Jayco Precept came with Coleman ACs. They are considerable quieter than the Dometic ACs I've had on previous RVs I've owned.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #30
Lost in the Woods

I think there are several ways that you can dampen the noise of your RVs air conditioner. For instance, you can hire an HVAC professional to install a noise blanket to insulate the compressor of your AC. This will help to prevent sound without compromising on the performance of your AC. Alternatively; you can place a noise-dampening shell around the air conditioner to bring down the noise level. Or you can check the AC’s rubber cushioning. When these rubber cushioning wears out, they become inefficient at the absorption of vibration and this can result in unusual noise.
wendy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #31

AC Noise Dampening Shell - Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy21 View Post
I think there are several ways that you can dampen the noise of your RVs air conditioner. For instance, you can hire an HVAC professional to install a noise blanket to insulate the compressor of your AC. This will help to prevent sound without compromising on the performance of your AC. Alternatively; you can place a noise-dampening shell around the air conditioner to bring down the noise level. Or you can check the AC’s rubber cushioning. When these rubber cushioning wears out, they become inefficient at the absorption of vibration and this can result in unusual noise.
I have always thought that a noise dampening shell which could be placed over the existing AC inside grill and mounted to the ceiling could substantially reduce noise levels. And... it could also be designed to accommodate slots for better air filters and thus better air filtration than the flimsy little sponge rubber filters the AC manufactures install and can't seem to advance beyond.

I've thought about building my own shell out of decorative wood but just haven't gotten around to it. But then... perhaps someone out there has already developed some good ones that could be purchased. However, I have yet to find any.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #32

My new 2020 Eagle HT has a really quiet AC! It's the way they ducted it through the ceiling I believe, very nice.

My complaint is the furnace! It's really loud. Can't believe in this day and age they can't make a quiet furnace!

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #33

Unfortunately most of the noise is from the evap/condenser fan which requires sound attenuation in the fan plenum.
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #34

AC Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherman1 View Post
Unfortunately most of the noise is from the evap/condenser fan which requires sound attenuation in the fan plenum.
I think the noise problem is also due to the fact that the AC's stick through a big hole cut though the roof and ceiling and all the motor and fan components are only inches above the ACs grill. If ACs mounted on top of the roof and only their air penetrated through into the living compartment the roof and ceiling would provide more isolation of the noisy components. Maybe there is a good reason why the ACs have to be mounted into the hole but it also could be that the manufacturers just can't think outside the box. Campers have lived with the AC noise so long I think the manufactures haves kind-of taken for granted. But there seems to a rising awareness of the noise. I am reading more complaints about it.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I have always thought that a noise dampening shell which could be placed over the existing AC inside grill and mounted to the ceiling could substantially reduce noise levels. And... it could also be designed to accommodate slots for better air filters and thus better air filtration than the flimsy little sponge rubber filters the AC manufactures install and can't seem to advance beyond.

I've thought about building my own shell out of decorative wood but just haven't gotten around to it. But then... perhaps someone out there has already developed some good ones that could be purchased. However, I have yet to find any.
There actually id such a product. I just can't think of the name. I'll see what I can find.

Found it! https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/silent-treatment/

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote