Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Replace Furrion Speakers

I noticed last year that my speakers are awful. The are scratchy and very distorted. They are OEM speakers and are Furrion model FS65W. What is the favorite thing to replace these with? Also how do you tell if it is a speaker problem, a wiring problem, or a head unit issue? Here is what the original speakers look like
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5433.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	48456
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

I haven't gotten that far but I know the ones in my awning of our brand new Jayco aren't impressive. Very tinny. But what can you expect? It's a trailer. Still.... I'll probably try to find a quality replacement.

I'd say it could be the quality of the head unit, but the inside speakers actually are decent enough to leave.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Yeah I know it’s a trailer but when the kids are watching a movie the dialog is hard to hear
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

My wife and I were experiencing problems hearing the dialog on our family room tv. We bought the Bose sound bar at the outlet mall. We paid $139 plus tax and it is “factory reconditioned”. It came with a full size universal remote and the fiber optic cable. Problem solved.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #5

Oh don't get me wrong. If it comes with a stereo system, it should darn well work. I simply meant I wasn't expecting to be impressed by it. Lol.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #6

Can you adjust the tone at all? Until you upgrade maybe try turning up the treble a bit and see if that helps.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Can you adjust the tone at all? Until you upgrade maybe try turning up the treble a bit and see if that helps.

I will try a few things when I get a chance. I also let a message with Furrion support
Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

I also found that the Furrion speakers were complete garbage. My issue was finding replacements that would fit within the limited depth dimensions of the insulated space between the roof and ceiling (not very much room there at all). I ended up creating some trim rings out of one inch, white Starboard. This gave me the extra room for some quality speakers to be installed. Looks great and the sound is light years ahead of the Furrions.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #9

Agreed! We will be replacing the crap speakers this year as well. Havent had time to research with what yet though
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #10

Dual audio, at least when I used some in my beater commuter a few years ago, had some really cheap speakers that were not very deep at all, and actually sounded pretty darn good.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #11

I found that my speaker wiring was poorly crimped to the connector that slid onto the speaker terminals. This caused scratchyness and an intermittent connection.
I redid the connections to solve the problem but they still sound awful.

Really the best solution is the sound bar.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
IReally the best solution is the sound bar.

I hate having speakers and not using them but it might be a case of cost too. Did the sound bar hook up okay?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
Yeah I know it’s a trailer but when the kids are watching a movie the dialog is hard to hear
While certainly not the best, you shouldn't be having trouble making out the dialog. Something isn't right... I'd start by attaching a different speaker (standard 6" car audio speaker) and see if the problem persists. If it does, that'll at least tell you that it's not the speaker and could be the wiring or head unit.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #14

I have JL speakers in my boat... awesome.. but they are $$$$$$...

a good speaker and bang for the buck is polk audio db651 or similar.. I have put them on my octane and they are more than capable, they are waterproof, good sound and reasonably priced....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #15

Replace Furrion Speakers

I went to Best Buy and was advised that a sound bar might meet my needs instead of speakers. However they wanted 200.00 for a Bose. It is probably very good but also pricy. I looked over my system and I have a headphone jack. Is that the way to connect to the system. The speakers are wired into a wiring harness in the back so that seems the only way.

Furrion did say to find a speaker and try it to see if the stereo was bad instead of just the speaker. Since I have the warranty on my trailer still I might be able to get my dealer to replace it or the speakers but if the speakers are bad anyway then would they just replace junk speakers with more junk speakers?

I also went to the Furrion web site and the speakers were only 13.00. My guess is that if they replaced them with that I still might have bad sound.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
I went to Best Buy and was advised that a sound bar might meet my needs instead of speakers. However they wanted 200.00 for a Bose. It is probably very good but also pricy. I looked over my system and I have a headphone jack. Is that the way to connect to the system. The speakers are wired into a wiring harness in the back so that seems the only way.

Furrion did say to find a speaker and try it to see if the stereo was bad instead of just the speaker. Since I have the warranty on my trailer still I might be able to get my dealer to replace it or the speakers but if the speakers are bad anyway then would they just replace junk speakers with more junk speakers?

I also went to the Furrion web site and the speakers were only 13.00. My guess is that if they replaced them with that I still might have bad sound.
H John,

In my opinion, if you had the dealer replace any parts, such as the speakers, yes you would end up with the same, poor, system.

Here is a good thread to look at:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post534778

Also Bose systems are either loved by users or not. They are kind of polarizing for their sound quality. I'm not here to knock them myself. I do however feel that the Vizio brand offers a pretty good value. Here's an example for $80:

VIZIO SB2920-C6 29-Inch 2.0 Channel Sound Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMBFZNG..._VNxRCb243AF04

I think that something like this Vizio might be a lot of bang for the buck.

If you can justify it you might consider a 3.1 system that now adds a center speaker (Still inside of the soundbar) as well as a subwoofer. Maybe even a 5.1 system if you get creative with the installation of surround speakers. This is probably getting beyond the scope of what you are trying to accomplish however.

I have to be honest and tell you that I have not installed a sound bar in my trailer. We just don't watch much tv while in the trailer. I do have one setup in my house though.

As far as wiring it up from your tv you should be able to do so with hdmi cabling. Read how the hdmi connection is dealt with in the link that I shared.

Good luck and let us know what you've decided!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #17

Replace Furrion Speakers

I tested my system again and now the sound seems fine. Still not great. I might still end up with a sound bar because I discovered some buttons on my remote don’t work that might tweak the sound better. Rather than replace the unit I might just spend the money on the sound bar

I think I looked at the Visio and it did not seem to have the right connections but maybe I looked at a different one
Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #18

The newer model of the Visio model might fit the bill. I can use the included cables as I don’t have optical in. That was my worry. How is the sound
Old 04-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #19

Scratchy

I found on my Jayco that the wire leads were loose.
WCForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #20

I replaced my TV sound bar with a Sonos Beam and added a couple of Sonos Ones, one in the hallway and one in the Master bedroom. These sound awesome, I doubt I will ever turn on the Furrion again ever.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote