Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

RV Ready or Invertor Generators what’s the difference

I am baffled with this generator business. What’s the difference between invertor or RV ready. I want the quietest and easiest to use.
I read lots and it just confuses me more.
I am looking at a Champion 4450 right now that says 30 amp RV ready is that going to run my A/C.
Thank so much my head is spinning.
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

Hard to say what Champion means by "RV Ready". Probably just an advertising gimmick.

I do know many standard/regular generators have mechanical governors to keep the speed at a constant 3600 rpm and therefore produce 60 cycle power. Trouble is mechanical governors don't react quick enough nor are they stable enough - you get what is called dirty power.

Inverter generators on the other hand don't depend on the engine speed to produce 60 cycle power. They use an inverter board. The engine speed varies from idle to full speed depending on how much power it needs to put out.

So, the difference is mechanical versus electronic regulation.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Most non-RV ready generators that have a 30 amp outlet just take a different plug than what’s on your power cord. You can get an adapter for cheap, so don’t let that scare you off of a good deal on a non RV ready generator.

Inverter generators are usually much quieter than standard generators. Especially when you aren’t pulling a heavy load.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

BTW, I used to have a regular generator. It would run a little rough, especially if the fuel was a few months old. One day I put my voltmeter on its output was surprised to see it was fluctuating between 100 volts and 140 volts!

No big deal if it pops a 50 cent light bulb, but a different story if it was to "pop" a $500 microwave!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

So after reading this what I need is an inverter generator is that correct. RV ready is not good enough. I don’t want to have any issues. Gosh this is hard. I am sure it really isn’t but to a newby it is all so complicated.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Inverter by all means.

It puts out "clean" power for sensitive electronic devices.

And above all..........QUIETER!!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Inverter by all means.

YEP! AGREE WITH Redsnapper 100%
I have 2 Yamaha EF2000is generators. Usually only need 1.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #8

You should get an inverter generator for the clean power an RV needs. For the quietest, compare the sound decibels it shows in the specifications. They will all list it. Cheaper generators will be louder. Most A/C units need a 3000 watt generator to run it. If the generator has a soft start kit, you might get by with 2200 Watts, but 3000 is best advice. Two A/C units would need a big one, like 5000 Watts. Last thing to think about is how heavy it is. Because of that I have 2 Honda 2000 watt that connect together. They are light enough to lift by myself.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Thankyou for that, that is the info I needed. Weight is also an issue so I will check into the idea of piggy backing them.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Inverter by all means.

You cant use a EMS surge protector with a inverter generator .
just some room for thought ..
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit View Post
I believe you can now, just requires a special plug to plug into the second plug in on the generator so your EMS doesn't falsely detect "ground fault" (I think that's the correct term?). I called Surge Guard about mine not working with the EMS and the guy said they had just developed a special plug to resolve this issue and he actually sent me one for free. As I understand it, however, it's pretty easy to make one, e.g., out of an old 3 prong computer power cord, where you connect neutral wire to ground within the plug wires. The one Surge Guard sent me actually looks like that's how they made it.

But, other discussions I've read indicate you don't really need to use an EMS with an inverter type generator. Interested in any other advice/opinions on that.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

Many generators have a floating ground (the ground and neutral are not bonded, as they are in "regular" supplies)
This will show up as a "missing ground" fault on your protector.

If (and I do mean "ONLY if") you know what you're doing, you can make an adaptor which will create a bond *. Or you can buy a professionally made "Neutral Ground Bonding Adaptor"

In either case, you're not really providing a ground, you're just tricking the
EMS. Your generator frame should be grounded to the "actual ground" with a ground spike, metal water pipe or whatever.

As always, if you're not comfortable messing with 110V... don't!

*No, I'm not going to tell you. If you don't know how, don't attempt it :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

I added a hard wired EMS, it has a switch to turn it off when using a generator. I have not read about anyone have a problem with a generator that damaged RV components.
Also, I have a Honda 2000 “companion” that has a 30 amp plug. IF I turn off everything else in my RV, it will run my A/C with no issues.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #14

question........didn't think of this til reading this thread. should I use my surge protector, that I use when plugged in at a campground, when I am plugged into my generator? this may be a duh! question. good grief

I have a Champion generator with a 30 watt RV outlet
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

The issue with using any kind of surge protector is it needs a path to "earth" ground to protect against voltage spikes. The MOV device inside diverts spikes to ground. So unless you drive a long copper rod in the ground at your campsite and ground your generator to it, a surge protector won't do any good.

Why would a person want to use a surge protector with their generator? I can only think of 2 cases. If the generator malfunctions and starts putting out too high a voltage or if the generator is close to a "nearby" lightning strike. A surge protector will not protect you from a "direct" lightning hit.

Will it hurt anything to use one anyway? I don't think a cheap regulator one will know if it has a ground or not. The more sophisticated ones will probably detect a problem and shut down. That's where the adapter mentioned above comes into play. But keep in mind such an adapter still doesn't have a way to divert a high voltage spike to "earth" ground unless you drive a ground rod.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #16

To answer the original question, Champion’s generators that say “RV READY” are in fact made to be plugged into straight from a RV. However they are usually the 30amp. If your RV is 50amp then you will probably need a dogbone.
As others have said - the inventor is much quieter and lighter in weight but you usually need 2 if you want to power your A/C. Those also get quite expensive but are much easier to use.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit View Post
Actually, you can use a surge protector with an inverter generator, you simply have to bond the neutral and ground at the generator. I do this with a ground bonding plug I made from a 2" piece of #12 wire and a 3-prong, 120 Volt plug. It cost me less than $3 to make it.

And a lot depends on what brand EMS you have ... some just show an error, but still work, others, Like my PI EMS, indicate the open (floated) ground without the plug and will not energize the RV without it being connected.

BTW, I use a Harbor Freight, Predator 3500 inverter generator and it is adequate to run the 13.5k btu A/C and Microwave simultaneously. It weighs just at 100#, so it is not the easiest thing to load and unload without a little help, but it does have wheels so it can be rolled around.
It came with a 120 Volt, 30A locking to 30A RV adapter connector and has 2-20A 120V receptacles. It is very quiet (< 57db) and reliable, and the lowest in cost that I have found...(With a coupon it was $659.95) It is Chinese made, but parts should not be a problem since Northern Tool sells the same unit in blue under the PowerHorse brand .... and they carry all parts. Also, if it fits the Honda engine, it also fits the Chinese clone Predator engine.

Good Camping ... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #18

Back to the original question. I have a Champion 3100 that I used with my 01' Jayco trailer with a single 13,500 AC unit on it, it would run it fine. No you can't run the microwave, blow dry your hair, and run the AC but it ran it fine.

Now I upgraded RV's to my 18' 324BHTS with two 15K AC units and just for giggles, I hooked it up and it ran the main room AC easier than it ran my old 13,500 unit. Maybe better start capacitors in the new one, no idea.

Then I walk in the bedroom and my better half has kicked on the bedroom AC and no issues with the generator....kinda amazed by that.

Overall I have been very happy with my Champion....I wish the fuel tank was bigger, because here in TX in the heat of the summer, the gen won't make it overnight on fuel. It will go about 6 hours tops....just FYI.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Back to the original question. I have a Champion 3100 that I used with my 01' Jayco trailer with a single 13,500 AC unit on it, it would run it fine. No you can't run the microwave, blow dry your hair, and run the AC but it ran it fine.

Now I upgraded RV's to my 18' 324BHTS with two 15K AC units and just for giggles, I hooked it up and it ran the main room AC easier than it ran my old 13,500 unit. Maybe better start capacitors in the new one, no idea.

Then I walk in the bedroom and my better half has kicked on the bedroom AC and no issues with the generator....kinda amazed by that.

Overall I have been very happy with my Champion....I wish the fuel tank was bigger, because here in TX in the heat of the summer, the gen won't make it overnight on fuel. It will go about 6 hours tops....just FYI.
Greg, FYI, you can get a special fuel cap that will draw fuel from another tank on the vacuum of the displaced fuel in the onboard tank. I haven't used one, but I've seen Youtube videos about them. That should extend your run time substantially.

Good Camping ... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Greg, FYI, you can get a special fuel cap that will draw fuel from another tank on the vacuum of the displaced fuel in the onboard tank. I haven't used one, but I've seen Youtube videos about them. That should extend your run time substantially.

Good Camping ... Swampy
Yeah they make them for all but the Champion last time I looked. Its not a huge deal to me, or I would T into the fuel line with a boat tank or similar.

Lately we have hookups and only run on the gen about 2 times a year.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote